Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Help To ID My Finds

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-10-2019, 09:03 PM
blacksambellamy blacksambellamy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 143
Default Solid metal brick?

So I was diving in Cape Cod bay and found this solid metal brick with my metal detector. Any ideas what it could be ? A magnet lightly sticks to it. No markings on it at all
Attached Images
  

__________________
Whites Surfmaster 2,Whites Surfmaster PI,JW Fisher Pulse 8x

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 PM
dickn52 dickn52 is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 103
Default

Ballast?
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:47 AM
blacksambellamy blacksambellamy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 143
Default

Thatís the only thing I could think of.

__________________
Whites Surfmaster 2,Whites Surfmaster PI,JW Fisher Pulse 8x

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:53 AM
blacksambellamy blacksambellamy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 143
Default

So on my AT pro machine it reads 60-70..... is there anyway to tell what kind of metal this is ?

__________________
Whites Surfmaster 2,Whites Surfmaster PI,JW Fisher Pulse 8x

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 07-11-2019, 03:11 PM
NJseba NJseba is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by blacksambellamy View post
So on my AT pro machine it reads 60-70..... is there anyway to tell what kind of metal this is ?


In my opinion and experience with the AT Pro and most detectors... a bigger metal object like the one you have found will always ring in the higher numbers. So Iíd say the numbers are inaccurate. Just my piece of thought.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:04 PM
Vethraxx's Avatar
Vethraxx Vethraxx is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 784
Default

Wrap some sand paper around it and you got a nice sanding block

__________________
Total Coins as of 07/14/2019 $180.03
Running total for the past 7ish years on and off.

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Sage Sage is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 269
Default

Is it lead or steel? Hit it with a file for a look inside, a magnet should really stick or not.
I have lead bricks just like that.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 PM
blacksambellamy blacksambellamy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 143
Default

Originally Posted by Sage View post
Is it lead or steel? Hit it with a file for a look inside, a magnet should really stick or not.
I have lead bricks just like that.


Ok, a strong magnet stuck. But a solid block of steel... for what?

__________________
Whites Surfmaster 2,Whites Surfmaster PI,JW Fisher Pulse 8x

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 PM
Foragist's Avatar
Foragist Foragist is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chippewa Valley, Wisconsin
Posts: 2,639
Default

Maybe a dive belt weight? Just guessing.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 PM
CountyWorker's Avatar
CountyWorker CountyWorker is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florence, OR
Posts: 614
Default

At least it wasn't painted gold.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 07-12-2019, 02:08 AM
Waveoff's Avatar
Waveoff Waveoff is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,247
Default

Go to one of those cash for gold places. Many of them have an XRF machine that can tell you the composition of metal pieces.

__________________
Minelab E-TRAC and Equinox 800
Tesoro Compadre and Vaquero
White's TREASUREpro (FOR SALE)

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:26 AM
rustyk1's Avatar
rustyk1 rustyk1 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gaston SC
Posts: 1,175
Default

It could be a counterweight, or maybe a spacing block?

__________________
Oldest coin 1800 lg cent, oldest silver 1829 British sixpence, best coin 1921 standing q. in ef40, strangest find silver spoon in tree root. BOSTON STRONG

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:30 PM
flyguy784 flyguy784 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Chester PA
Posts: 1,352
Default

That's really odd. I've seen lead bricks like that in nuclear facilities. Since it's not lead though, hmmmm.
I don't believe they'd use steel on a ship as a counter weight, ballast or the like. Steel is so easily corroded. Lot of work to make a weight, way easier to just pour lead, why steel. That being said, why isn't it all corroded???
Maybe it's some exotic material that's mildly magnetic. Even some stainless steels are magnetic.
As well shaped as it is, you could do a density test. Length x width x thickness equals volume. Then get an accurate weight of that thing. That'll give you a weight per cubic inch, it'd be better to use metrics by the way. Then google density of metals chart.
Say you have it figured out to be 22 grams per cubic centimeter. Look on the chart and compare to find what the material is. Might be a clue.
Could be an exotic metal being shipped as an ingot. Might just simply be a hunk of metal some guy brought home from work for a crab trap weight or the like.
I worked on a shark boat for awhile. We would get cut offs of copper rod about an inch in diameter from a guys work. I'd glue them to firecrackers (M80's). We'd get offshore and set up, light and drop a weighted M80 over the side every ten minutes for the first 45 minutes of drift. Theory being, sharks are attracted to low frequency sounds. We figured we were attracting sharks from 10 miles away. We always caught sharks (yum, Mako) so maybe we were right. But, if anyone dove there, they'd be perplexed as well. "Why are we finding these copper slugs all over?"

__________________
MineLab CTX 3030, Fischer 1236-X2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lecsh digger and Sampson T handle.

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:48 PM
blacksambellamy blacksambellamy is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsdale, NJ
Posts: 143
Default

Originally Posted by flyguy784 View post
That's really odd. I've seen lead bricks like that in nuclear facilities. Since it's not lead though, hmmmm.
I don't believe they'd use steel on a ship as a counter weight, ballast or the like. Steel is so easily corroded. Lot of work to make a weight, way easier to just pour lead, why steel. That being said, why isn't it all corroded???
Maybe it's some exotic material that's mildly magnetic. Even some stainless steels are magnetic.
As well shaped as it is, you could do a density test. Length x width x thickness equals volume. Then get an accurate weight of that thing. That'll give you a weight per cubic inch, it'd be better to use metrics by the way. Then google density of metals chart.
Say you have it figured out to be 22 grams per cubic centimeter. Look on the chart and compare to find what the material is. Might be a clue.
Could be an exotic metal being shipped as an ingot. Might just simply be a hunk of metal some guy brought home from work for a crab trap weight or the like.
I worked on a shark boat for awhile. We would get cut offs of copper rod about an inch in diameter from a guys work. I'd glue them to firecrackers (M80's). We'd get offshore and set up, light and drop a weighted M80 over Ed the side every ten minutes for the first 45 minutes of drift. Theory being, sharks are attracted to low frequency sounds. We figured we were attracting sharks from 10 miles away. We always caught sharks (yum, Mako) so maybe we were right. But, if anyone dove there, they'd be perplexed as well. "Why are we finding these copper slugs all over?"

It was fully encrusted a huge blob of black stone. As I chipped it away I found this. Once exposed to the air it began to rust a little. Itís been in the water a long time. I thought about the lobster trap theory but this thing is way to heavy.... nobody in their right mind would put this in a trap.

__________________
Whites Surfmaster 2,Whites Surfmaster PI,JW Fisher Pulse 8x

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.