Super rare early connecticut military button

HEAVYMETALNUT

Forum Supporter
got out today & went back to one of my very 1st cellar holes.worked it slower and dug everything.aside from the few flat buttons I thought my finds of the day were the key & small buckle until i started cleaning the buttons.
the last button i was cleaning with just water running over it I saw a shield
what a shock when this design emerged after cleaning.
backmark is TREBLE GILT with the Connecticut seal in the shield.
Dan says it's most likely War of 1812 ish.any other thoughts from you guys?

Attachments

• JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 001.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 001.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 641
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 003.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 003.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 649
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 004.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 004.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 630
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 005.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 005.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 626
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 006.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 006.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 647
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 007.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 007.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 633
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 008.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 008.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 647
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 009.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 009.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 613
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 015.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 015.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 611
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 011.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 011.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 615
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 012.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 012.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 622
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 019.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 019.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 729
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 020.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 020.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 617
  • JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 016.jpg
    JAN 11TH EARLY CT EAGLE BUTTON 016.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 659
  • redone photo.jpg
    redone photo.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Nice Find Dave

Hey Dave, what a great button. BTW, I have been out of town on business and as soon as I get home (2-days) I'll get that item out to you. Thank God for laptops.

That is a great Connecticut you found; especially with an intact shank. I'll take a semi-wild stab at it and say that the example you dug is fairly rare. I actually sent a picture of the button to a fellow who is an expert on early to CW period buttons. I give you a report when he emails me back.

We're lucky here in Virginia to have a fair amount of civil war relic shows. Of course, there are always early military finds displayed. In all these years, I don't believe that I've ever seen this button.

I'm hoping I can send you great news on it.

John

img2607j.jpg

My books says it's rare and from the Conn. Militia circa 1820s

awesome button =)

somebody on another forum quoted this below...
Hi HMN That CT button is a good one, Alberts CT 11. I don't have the Tice book but I checked it once and he says Albert underestimated the rarity of it and has only ever seen 2 others. Of course now there's yours and mine I dug mine in CT about 15 years ago and have never seen another dug and the condition of yours is outstanding. Albert also lists it as a blank back so was suprised to see a mark on it. I'll vote banner on it since I think Tice priced it at 1,000.00 several years ago.

Dave, Here is my reply from William Leigh-Button Dealer

John,

This CT button that your friend found is rare enough that I do not recall whether I have ever had a chance to examine one or not. It was likely produced sometime between 1811 and 1827. It is very rare, indeed. As to value, that would just be a wind guess....it is a Northern State button, so is only so valuable, but it is a much rarer find than many Confederate buttons.

Most would consider that its value would likely be in the hundreds of dollars.

Kind regards,

William

BTW forum members, William is a super fellow and honest. You can Google him to get to his site. He is probably one of the most respected military button experts out there.

Dave, I'd say that button is up there. If there have only been a handfull found, I'd say it could go for over a grand...easy. It's probably making those Washington buttons sweat......well, just a tad.

Great find buddy!

John,

This CT button that your friend found is rare enough that I do not recall whether I have ever had a chance to examine one or not. It was likely produced sometime between 1811 and 1827. It is very rare, indeed. As to value, that would just be a wind guess....it is a Northern State button, so is only so valuable, but it is a much rarer find than many Confederate buttons.

Most would consider that its value would likely be in the hundreds of dollars.

Kind regards,

William

BTW forum members, William is a super fellow and honest. You can Google him to get to his site. He is probably one of the most respected military button experts out there.

Dave, I'd say that button is up there. If there have only been a handfull found, I'd say it could go for over a grand...easy. It's probably making those Washington buttons sweat......well, just a tad.

Great find buddy!
:lol: at the Washington buttons sweating :lol:
Thanks for writing to him! very interesting!

Congratulations on the amazing find! That button is jaw dropping! I don't what to say, other than Congratulations!

Doug

That is awesome, I love it. Hey, that folded over thingy at the top of your pic with everything in it, do you know what that is? I found that exact piece a few days ago.

Cleaning ?

hi Dave,i just wondered what you use to clean the old coins and buttons,i have tumblers but dont want to tumble the old ones,i have a 1907 indian i want to clean up,it's got the green on it,dont want to mess it up,thanks Earl

Back
Top Bottom