Notch out tabs and it still finds me tabs.

MN Shutterbug

I was at a local park yesterday with my F2 and got tired of all the tabs, so I notched out tabs and foil and still dug up a few tabs and a couple pieces of foil. Is there a defect in my F2 or does this kinda thing just happen occasionally?

Also, I stopped at another local park today and as soon as I turned the machine on, it proceeded to go nuts. Even while pointing it in the air it was rattling and chattering and the numbers were going crazy. Turning down the sensitivity didn't seem to help. I was afraid there was something wrong with it. I even powered it down and tried a total reset. I put it in the car and when I got home I tested it again and everything was back to normal. There was something nasty near that park.

With my ace 250 most tabs will get notched out with the setting but some ring in as pennies and some ring in as foil , so its normal. Depends on the tab , their density and the density of the soil , their depth , etc. They are not exactly all equal , there are minor differences in their design and thickness that can change what they read with a detector. There are fewer discrimination notches in the lower cost machines which means a wider conductivity range for each specified notch. Thats why pennies can read like dimes and vice versa and pop cans or can slaw are more likely to look like dimes or nickels. So its normal for some to slip through , the important thing is the discrimination will weed out most of them.

Thanks all, for clarifying this for me.

Anyone have any idea what could cause that much interference at the park I was at? There are no power lines in the area. It was really strange. It's also undetectable due to this.

Anyone have any idea what could cause that much interference at the park I was at? There are no power lines in the area. It was really strange. It's also undetectable due to this.

You never know what might be transmitting EMI nearby. Cell phones, CB radios, transformers, line of sight microwave... I don't know exactly which frequencies affect the F2, and I don't think Fisher is telling.

edit: This has a handy chart for conductivity ranges http://www.mdhtalk.org/tutorials/discrimination/metal-detecting-discrimination.pdf

Could be underground lines , could be a wifi hotspot , could even be your own cell phone in some situations. Did you try to turn down the sensitivity ? ( if there is a contrl for that )

Not my cell phone and no wifi at an outdoor park and sensitivity turned down all the way. Maybe underground lines but there are underground lines all over town and my own front yard has no problem. This will probably always remain a mystery. It seemed pretty strange.

I frequently hunt a park near a cell tower. Some days, and even hours, are worse than others. Noticed that by changing the direction of my swing the EMI can sometimes be reduced.

I may try that park again but not for awhile. Sounds like our ground may be froze the next couple days. :mad:

Sent from my SGH-I987 using Tapatalk 2

The only thing a metal detector can do, with any certainty, is detect metal. It can't test for specific metals, or identify specific items. There are certain characteristics in the received signal, that fall into categories, but aren't completely unique, and can be effected by other objects nearby, soil conditions, the way you swing the coil... Discrimination and target ID, help you dig less trash, well simply to just dig less, overall. You choose not to dig, you never really know what you passed up. If you stick to the programs, you find more ideal targets, compared to trash, but the real world isn't ideal, or a program inside of a box on a stick.

I do discriminate iron, way too common. Some badly rusted through nails, still look like deep coins occasionally, but sound a little rough. My Tesoro DeLeon gives me a lot of information, not just a number on a screen (got those too), there are segmented graphs of common metals, which I believe is level of confidence for each. The tone can be sharp and clean or broken, loud or soft, short or long duration. I don't always listen too carefully, if there is a decent chance, I'll dig it up. My discrimination, seems to simply cut the audio, the screen still shows everything else.

Were you wearing your silver toed cowboy boots???:D

Just incountered this same problem today in a park.
It was cretainly underground powerlines I could see several poles with boxes with numbers like they had flea markets there or something.??
I just went over to a different part of the park and it quit going crazy.

I was at a local park yesterday with my F2 and got tired of all the tabs, so I notched out tabs and foil and still dug up a few tabs and a couple pieces of foil. Is there a defect in my F2 or does this kinda thing just happen occasionally?

Also, I stopped at another local park today and as soon as I turned the machine on, it proceeded to go nuts. Even while pointing it in the air it was rattling and chattering and the numbers were going crazy. Turning down the sensitivity didn't seem to help. I was afraid there was something wrong with it. I even powered it down and tried a total reset. I put it in the car and when I got home I tested it again and everything was back to normal. There was something nasty near that park.

Keep notching out those tabs. I will come in behind you and get the GOLD!!!!:D

Get rid of foil and some bigger pieces will still come in, also some smaller and thicker can slaw pieces.
Get rid of tabs and you can still get a few, they are made from different materials, are shaped different and are different sizes and the orientation and depth in the ground can affect your readings also.

Doesn't matter what you saw at that one park, there is some very heavy EMI happening somewhere around there so just avoid it.
Wifi signals from homes in the vicinity can do this, also EMI will be emitted by large machinery such as large industrial equipment and train engines and more.
Cell towers, radio towers and TV towers can do this too, even if you are miles away but still in a direct line of sight from their signals.
I crawled 900 feet up the side of a mountain once and the nearer I got to the top the less usable the F2 was to me.
At the top level even on one bar of sensitivity it just would not shut up due to all the signals hitting it from every tower from miles around.

Last week I was at a small park that I had been to once before with my Compadre.
No problems with that one but the F2 had many problems dealing with the high tension wires surrounding this site plus who knows what else that was causing way too much EMI chatter.
I just won't go back there with the F2 again, but I have plenty of other places to hunt, anyway.

It may be my imagination, but the F2 seems to run much more stable after the batteries have some run time on them even before the battery gauge starts to drop segments.

Here over the water I choose to dig them as they come in as 9ct gold and by digging them have found quite a few rings.
It all depends on which of my sites im hunting if I choose not to dig them.HH
PS im always happy to follow you around and dig them if you leave them.LOL

yup EMI ... when I get it on my XTerra I just redo auto noise cancel and it clears up ... I'll be going along just fine and then it gets goofy.

are you near an air field or airport,i tried to hunt a field near the rotary wing air field on post a few times now and same thing happens every time i think it may be radar doing it

Back
Top Bottom