Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Elite Member

Any TD bank North Does it for free even if you do not bank there. Bring the receipt to the counter and get the cash. It also kicks out old or odd coinage.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Elite Member

We went to do some last minute Christmas shopping this evening, so I took along a bag of loose change for the coinstar.
On the tray I found.

1 Euro 13 cents
7p in UK coinage (no idea why that was rejected)
10 cents from Singapore
2 US Dimes
1 Canadian Cent
1 Plastic play coin

Old 11-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Elite Member

I'm on a 3 year silver drought in regards to coinstars. One place had a coinmaster where I found at least one (clad) coin in every few trips. Coinstar I may find coins once a month if I am lucky. Anyway, no silver yet again but a long wait at the pharmacy (they should really do IQ tests on these folks that can't even properly pick up a prescription) I heard the coinstar winding down and 4 clad dimes were in the reject bin.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by James B. in Mass View post
I was a little shocked when he handed me 3 pristine Morgan Dollars. I almost admitted that I wasn't the one who put them in there, but before I could say anything, he said that there was an internal reject bin that was also full and had to be emptied before he could put it back in service.

Questions- Would you have admitted that you weren't the person who put the Morgans into the machine? Why do you think the manager was so intent on making sure that I couldn't see the contents of the internal reject bin? Do you think CoinStar sets their machines to divert certain coin types (Gold perhaps?) to the internal reject bin instead of the return tray?
Heck no I wouldn't tell him they weren't mine!

Do the Morgans stick to a magnet? They look fake, maybe it is just that picture? Bonesquat!

Maybe someone took them to a coin dealer who rejected them, and then tried to put them in the coinstar.

Great information about the internal bin. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it. Maybe it catches earrings and jewelry?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Elite Member

Not really a coinstar, but the banks coin counting machine. A Mexican $10 diez peso in the reject bin, and a 1943 steelie stuck the the magnetic portion that surrounds the area the coins get dumped in.

The banks type coin counter I like as you can open the lid to see what never made it through the count. Never did find any bling, but odd ball items like brass cufflinks and pewter thing-a-majigs along with way too many paper clips. I believe one security guard also checks it out now and then

Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 AM

Default Warning

I have gotten into some semi-heated arguments with people on this, so bear with me.

However, it is my experience that these coin machines are not always accurate.

Let me preface this by explaining that when I say "not always accurate" I am saying that they either credit you slightly too little or too much for your coinage (unfortunately, it is almost always the former -- but I have had the latter occur).

I have tried this on many occasions where I put in exactly 25 pennies, 25 dimes, 25 quarters, and 25 nickels.

I usually (not always -- about 50% of the time) end up a couple coins short.

As a key note, the missing coins are never drastic. For example, I will get a receipt showing 24 pennies, 25 dimes, 24 quarters, and 25 nickels. Thus, two missing coins.

Usually my logic is that I had rather spend the value of those "lost" coins (in my example 26 cents) rather than rolling coins all day.

However, it is something to be weary of. If you are for example dime hunting and it takes you $300 dollars to get a single silver dime (not too crazy a ratio from my experiences), keep in mind that cashing in those coins you might lose a dozen or two dimes. (Again, not too crazy from my experience). That is $1.20 lost for what amounts to (on a good day) probably a $2.50 coin and a hell of a lot of effort.

These "lost coins" can seriously affect your coin roll hunting calculus.

Again, something to consider and be weary of.

I am sure some machines are better (and worse) than others. I would suggest if you utilize these types of machines often, use a "controlled" test like I do every now and then to see if they are accurate.

Old 01-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Dang - saw one in a store earlier today. Wish I'd seen this thread first - now I'll never look at a Coinstar the same again!

TB

Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 PM

Now you've got me thinking - do soft drink machines reject silver too?

Thanks -
TB

Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by 1960DPenny View post
I have gotten into some semi-heated arguments with people on this, so bear with me.

Let me preface this by explaining that when I say "not always accurate" I am saying that they either credit you slightly too little or too much for your coinage (unfortunately, it is almost always the former -- but I have had the latter occur).

I have tried this on many occasions where I put in exactly 25 pennies, 25 dimes, 25 quarters, and 25 nickels.

As a key note, the missing coins are never drastic. For example, I will get a receipt showing 24 pennies, 25 dimes, 24 quarters, and 25 nickels. Thus, two missing coins.

Usually my logic is that I had rather spend the value of those "lost" coins (in my example 26 cents) rather than rolling coins all day.

However, it is something to be weary of. If you are for example dime hunting and it takes you $300 dollars to get a single silver dime (not too crazy a ratio from my experiences), keep in mind that cashing in those coins you might lose a dozen or two dimes. (Again, not too crazy from my experience). That is $1.20 lost for what amounts to (on a good day) probably a $2.50 coin and a hell of a lot of effort.

Again, something to consider and be weary of.

I am sure some machines are better (and worse) than others. I would suggest if you utilize these types of machines often, use a "controlled" test like I do every now and then to see if they are accurate.
The answer is simple.
The missing coins fall into a space-time vortex and are transported to the machine KingTotsAlot cashes in.

He always gets out more than he puts in.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:09 PM
Elite Member

Well, it took 7.5 years but I finally found another silver coin in a coinstar machine. 1964 Rosie along with a 1941 wheatie.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:21 PM
Elite Member

Welcome back OZ, long time no hear!
I plucked .79 from a coinstar today

Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 PM
Elite Member

I have found **TIP** if you check the Coinstars early in the day before alot of customers are in the store, the workers, not being busy yet, look at them as they walk by. BUT, if you check them, say, later in the afternoon when the stores are bustling with shoppers, there's a much better chance of finding coins in the reject bin. At least in my area.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by 1960DPenny View post

That's why I stopped using Coinstar, but mostly for the fees. My credit union bought a nice LaRue counter and I use it with no fee. Although....

When I take say, $500 in loose dimes and run them through the counter, at times I am shorted several dollars in dimes, or dimes counted as cents, etc, and in proof it shows this on the receipt, also, the teller can observe dimes in the cent bag. Now, the tellers usually know in advance that I'm dumping a straight denomination of coin, and my count should be exact. They adjust the final tally and credit me for the miscount. No money lost

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Originally Posted by DIGGER27 View post
The answer is simple.
The missing coins fall into a space-time vortex and are transported to the machine KingTotsAlot cashes in.

He always gets out more than he puts in.

Last few times KT checked Coinstar machines at His Royal Grocery store...Krogers...He found nothing...but have recovered pre-65 silver quarter, lots of Mexican coins, a few dirty dimes, and a couple of canadian nickels.

Old 01-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Elite Member

There's usually a line for the coinstar at my grocery store.....not to dump coins but to check the reject slot.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:24 AM

Thanks for the tip

Old 01-19-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by OZ_IL View post
Well, it took 7.5 years but I finally found another silver coin in a coinstar machine. 1964 Rosie along with a 1941 wheatie.
Now that's dedication!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:44 AM
Elite Member

He should have used a Coinstar machine

http://metro.co.uk/2015/01/19/man-de...-ever-5027908/

Old 01-20-2015, 09:06 PM

I havn't had much luck with them, only a 2-cent euro so far, still you never know when you will get lucky!

Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
Elite Member

My find from yesterday at the coinstar were 3 very corroded zinc pennies that were obviously in the ground at one point. Another detectorist leaving the rusted zincs for me to grab from the tray