Artesian Well at Road's Edge

jkbemdavis

Elite Member
Near my home there is an Artesian Well within about ten feet of the edge of the road. (No houses within quite a distance) I don't have any idea who owns the property (or if the county does since it's that close to the road), but for years I have seen people bending over to fill up gallon jugs at it. I'm sure there are pocket spills here...how do I know if I need permission to hunt it?

You always need permission to hunt private property. Go to your county's GIS website and find the parcel and tax information. If you can't find the website email the county or call and ask.

Entering private property for the purposes of removing things that don't belong to you without permission is exactly what it sounds like.

This won't be a big deal, it might even be owned by the county or state, the GIS website will also tell you that. Publicly owned parcels are marked as such in the tax record as exempt, and which entity it falls under.

Near my home there is an Artesian Well within about ten feet of the edge of the road. (No houses within quite a distance) I don't have any idea who owns the property (or if the county does since it's that close to the road), but for years I have seen people bending over to fill up gallon jugs at it. I'm sure there are pocket spills here...how do I know if I need permission to hunt it?

Thanks for the heads-up. I checked GIS and see that it is privately owned. I will contact the owner to see if they will allow me to hunt there...otherwise, it's time to find a new location.

Go to the nearest house on either side and ask. If they don't own it maybe they know who does, Or a plat map should help. There is one of those wells by where i used to live and many people use to get water there, myself included. i heard that it is condemed now do to fertilizer and pestiside run off from the fields. Never thought about coins there but you could be on to something.

Right on
I'm pretty sure that since natural artesian wells are a product of geology that they last for a very long time. It's possible that this well has been a source of drinking water for hundreds of years, even more. If it was sunk by settlers looking for water that's even better. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom