Cleaning silver

DeepBeeps

I dug a 1945-P war nickle yesterday. It is in rough condition and I would like to improve it if I can. My question is, does anyone know if I could use either 3% or 40% peroxide to clean it. I know it works for copper but how about a 1/3 silver nickle. Thanks in advance for the help. HH

I use baking soda. I sprinkle a little on my fingers, and wet the coin and clean it in a circular motion with my fingers. Baking Soda works really well for silver. But if it's a coin of great value I wouldn't do it. If it was a coin of great value, I wouldn't clean it at all.

Heres a good tip for silver.Spit into a piece of tin foil (not sure if thats what you call it over there,its what your wife would do the sunday roast in) .Leave it for about 20mins,if its pure siver it will smell like rotten eggs when you take it out.Give it a wash unde the tap and it will be clean.Obviously it would have to be small enough,like a coin or something.

I know nothing at all about old coins (I have only found 2 in my 15 or so years of detecting) but I have noticed that after I have washed my hands in the hand cleaner that mechanics use such as Fast Orange Hand Cleaner that my wedding band is alot cleaner ( it is white gold), don't know if it would clean silver coins without damaging them or not. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom