Old trail - choosing a spot to detect?

Gigiya

I live at the end of a dead end road, but the road previously went another half mile through the woods and to the highway, where it continued on the other side. I used to walk around there a lot when I was younger, but for some reason had practically forgotten about it until recently while thinking of places to go detecting. It's a private detected forest with a DNR sign on one of the trees right by our property, but my family has permission from the owner to cut down trees for firewood if necessary so we've got permission to be on the land.

I tried following the trail all the way through the woods, but it seemed to die out maybe 3/4 of the way through. It's pretty much intact until then, and from then on there are just occasional fence posts that don't really seem to be by any visible trail. I don't have any idea where a good spot to detect would be, as there don't seem to be any places where one would stop, with the possible exception of the following area:

DSC06898.JPG

Unfortunately, in the dip there, someone saw fit to dump a bunch of trash. There are a lot of spots like that throughout the woods. Most of what's dumped are bottles, though I haven't been able to figure out how old they are, since very few are intact or have much on them that can be read.

Would the pictured area probably be as good a spot as any to detect?

I'd also like to find out more information about the road, though it doesn't seem like there'd be anywhere to find out anything about it. Think there'd be any info at the local library?

One of the key criteria is to detect where people have been. The greater the human activity, the greater the probability of finds. Most logging roads, paths were minimal in activity.

Start looking at all the old USGS topo maps at your library. It's the best way to determine if there was a house or other structure out there. It should also show you the road.

A couple of suggestions: 1) Check your local library for a history of the township. It may contain early maps of the area. 2) Contact local historical society.

I would look for likely turn offs,parking area and such. Work the old fence line or just pick a spot and start swinging you have nothing to loose and spring will bring the bugs and weeds. Cladius.

Back
Top Bottom