TARN-X and BRASSO and Naval Jelly???

bobbulge

Elite Member
Has anybody ever used TArn-X on cleaning coins or jewelry??? The commercials say it doesn't harm the metals, what do you say?

Also what about BRASSO for brass and copper? We used it in the military.

Naval Petroleum Jelly for removing rust. :!: :roll:

Most collectors would prefer you didnt do much cleaning on any coin of value short of getting the dirt off. If you are talking of clad, save your money and get a cheap tumbler for about $25 from harbor freight. Tarn-x makes the coins bright but kind of distored. Brasso does ok, but baking soda is just as good. Naval Jelly.... humm doesnt it turn rust kind of gun steel color? Been awhile.

I experimented on a '62 lincoln which I found in a pine woods. It had lots of green corrosion. I wanted to see what would happen with a quick dip in nitric acid (10 seconds). It took off the green corrosion, but left pits whereever the green stuff was. My intent was to see whether an old IH could be cleaned up this way. I think I would not use it on anything good, based on the results. I apologize for not taking a "before" picture.

Attachments

• cleaned penny.jpg
    cleaned penny.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,967
I used TarnX once (some years ago) and would NOT use that stuff ever again on any coins. It does not work like they show on the TV commercial.

The clads I am finding are pretty black from being in the ground I have tried putting them in some dawn soap with hot water,eats most of the dirt off but still pretty black

Back
Top Bottom