XP Deus and notch (info)

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
The mighty Deus.
Fast separating rascal detector.

Some folks may decide to hunt trashy sites, and may be wondering about notch.

Can using notch help a person in such sites?
Yep
Can using notch hurt a person in such sites?
Yep

Take a look at the pic below.
Ruler is in pic to show scale distance wise.
A nail and a clad dime.

Now some modern sites do have a mix of nonferrous trash, nails, etc.

So what about detecting this dime in the pic?
Btw 9" LF coil (black one) used in test.

Keep in mind a clad dime reads 91 on the Deus meter using 18 kHz.

So I'll share some things here.
Beginner Deus user may find this helpful especially.

When a detectorists thinks of notch generally, they think they can just set the detector to reject say a tab or other junk and the detector will let all say the high conductor through tonally.
Is this true here totally?
Nope.

Using the Deus in the pic sweeping down the barrel of nail I can easily pick the dime up with settings reactvity 3, sens 90, 18khz, with no notch applied.

So what if I decide to use notch and detect this dime.
Sounds easy right just dial notch say from 0-85 or so, and the dime will bust through tonally when the coil,is swept down the barrel with dime laying off the one end.
Not so fast here!!

In the pic, I can use the settings above, and start employing notch as I sweep.
Yep the dime slips through tonally, but once I get to approx 0-62/63 the dime tonally is absent.
Now remember this almost 30 points shy here of what a solo dime reads on the meter in 18khz.

Be careful with notch.
24nk6eq.jpg

More thoughts here on using notch.

What else could notch be used for since we know in a general sense how the Deus behaves wile being swept of different scenarios target wise?

I have never ever seen this posted.
Some out of the box thinking here.

Let's say you are in a trashy site looking for higher conductors.

Another detecting strategy here to consider.

Wonder if we ran 2 exact same programs side by side in Deus like 18khz, reactvity 3, silencer -1, audio report 5, sens 90, tx power 2.

And one of these had notch set to say 55, and the other program no notch.

Wonder if we hunted with the no notch program, and when over a tonally producing target, we switched to the other program (the one with 50 notch) and notta, nothing tone wise.
What could this be telling us?
Target challenged by iron maybe.

Doing this we are letting Deus try and paint the picture here for actual target scenario.

I am a firm believer, the better targets are generally on average existing in more challenging scenarios.

Now, this strategy could also be used in a modern trash site for limited digging.

Now remember using Deus in such a site even using full tones, very possible for higher conductor that is challenged to only give lower or mid tone,,,,iron masking generally drives ID down and tone pitch too.

Now a sliver of aluminum setting solo may give a signal with the no notch program, and a low ID and tone to boot. If we engage the next door notch program and still get a signal,,,this is telling us this target likely not challenged,
Ferrous wise. And since the ID has not driven to higher side, not deep either, so meter reading in no notch program in this particualr scenario very trustworthy odds wise.

Lower pitched singals on deus, a lot of users can/will dismiss, they can dismiss these as junk.

Give this here some thought, and try sometime.

It will help I think in the right sites, depending on how much time you have to detect and or how much digging you want to do.

Now I used level 55 for the notched program, you can try other settings, but I think 50-60 is pretty good here.

To summarize here, I try to make Deus tell me in a site, which targets are more challenged, meaning which targets likely to be missed previously by other detectorist using other models of detectors.
These are the targets I definitely need to dig and see.
One never knows.

And using the above doesn't mean you don't/can't dig cleaner hits either.

I am also betting on, the older nonferrous in a site, is on average more masked or challenged, to include coins.

Next, let's fast forward to hunting in a site that has been busted hard by say Etrac, CTX, or even an explorer.

What to do?

Some folks may find this here unbelievable.
But it works for me.

I listen to good hits in a site like this,,if no iron near I walk.
I am in a sense giving the Minelabbers machine here great credit.
Yeah, they didn't eig those bottle caps sitting in the wide open,and I ain't going to either if I have my way. Besides saves time by even doing heavier study on these.

I want to again dig the more challenged targets.
Full tones here low or no disc can help, and even say disc 6 and iron vol turned on can help.

Now it will take new Deus users here some time and experience to understand what is classified as a challenged nonferrous target scenario.
But when you do, game on.

I have spoken of this too using Impact and smaller coil.

Btw some of the strategy above can be used to hunt behind other Deus users in a site,,you know the ones who think they can find all the good stuff with higher notch dialed in.

Deus users, think out side of the box, be different than many, make your detector be your bird dog as best you can.

Last edited:
Alright since this thread is closely associated with hunting in more trashy areas, more info.

Let's say you want to run full tones 18khz, reactvity 3 silencer -1 sens 90 in a rough modern site that does have some older history.

Now the 9" LF coil,here does better than the 11" but results can be had with 11" coil too.

We are talking about trying to sift through and pick out the better quality targets.
Rings, nickels, etc. more lower conductors.

Deus will light up tabs, can slaw ect.

So when you get a signal, listen to tone nuance, how refreshing is it, not duller sounding.
Start walking around this suspect target, watch meter reading.
How consistent does it stay as you rotate around target.
You will have to set your own guidelines here as far as what you declare as unsatisfactorily hence likely junk target.

Things of lower quality metal, things with uneven edges, things with uneven thickness thoughout, all these Deus normally will paint with higher spread TID as one rotates around. (Remember no absolutes here)

We are talking about Deus tendency.
Now remember a user does have the option to lower reactvity a bit and try and control coil,sweep and study target too. Some times on a deeper find, this may lower ID of nonferrous target to more actual Vdi reading.

Now, also remember you have ability to change freq.
What can this do for you?

Let's say I am in a park and I am wanting only to dig deep nickels or perhaps gold rings.
Can I do this and leave deep dimes say and wheats, maybe some quarters.
Yes
How?
By only using 12 and 18 kHz for detecting.
If on a deeper signal,,no ID or 97,98 in meter and a sliver or no horseshoe showing, if I go to 8 or 4 kHz and the signal falls out,,,you can bet here lower conductor not higher conductor.

Now, this above is not tied directly to the subject at hand, but is indirectly related.

Why?
Hunting junky sites, remember lower freq used on Deus = poorer separation.
As does lower reactivity <level 2.

So in a trashy site, it is very possible to try and depict the actual detecting scenario of a chosen suspect target by just by changing frequency alone.

If a target's signal gets compromised when going from 18kh to 12 kHz,,,could be sign of heavily challenged target.
Now to be fair it could be sign of an extremely low lower conductive target too.

So Deus has 2 ways to speed up separation or slow down.
Freq and reactvity.

For beginner Deus users I don't recommend you to be running in reactive levels 0 or level 5.
I consider these setting for more experienced Deus users, and using them can bring on some problems for the lesser experienced.
I don't use much btw.

That little box on the Deus called a remote.
Don't look like much does it?
It can do wonderful things for a Deus user.

Now some folks on this forum, they may come here and say I made all this stuff up in this post.
Or it was cut and pasted.
Well the cut and paste thingy is correct.
I cut and pasted from my memory.
I keep very few notes on anything detecting related btw.

Last edited:
Next weekend we plan on going back to a cellar hole site here in CT. This where we found a lot of flat buttons and my buddy found a large cent and a walking liberty. This weekend we plan on going way up into the pastures. He found a beautiful Crotal bell last weekend and we haven't scratched the surface here yet. We have only done the cellar hole site so far. This is a 9000 acre plus farm site. Huge. News at 11:00....

Be careful on how tightly you notch. For example, if you notch out say, 85, this is going to have an effect on VDI's ~+/-5. If you notch too tightly, you may be missing things you are looking for, especially on coins that tend to show up over a range due to corrosion (indians, flying eagles, wheats for example).

By this, I mean that 85 will be silent. 84, and 86 will be broken, 83, 82 will be less broken, etc. This effect will diminish ~ 80 and 90.

This is just the nature of electronic filters. On any program I want to notch out a particular range, I will at minimum go +/-3 on the range.

If I want to allow anything greater than -7 for example (you want to find the small gold, right?), I will set my discrimination to allow greater than -10 to make sure -7 is sounds as solid as possible.

Back
Top Bottom