Replacing coil cable plug...Need help

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
I have a NEL hunter coil that's giving me trouble and won't ground balance on my Fisher F70. I bought the coil used so I doubt the warranty is still good. The coil and cable itself are in like new condition, but upon closer inspection of the 5 pin plug it looks like it has some slight corrosion and the middle metal connector (#3) is just slightly proud of the plastic body...it's sticking out more than the other female connectors. I'm wondering if this could be my problem and if it's just a simple matter of soldering a new plug in it's place. Has anyone replaced one of these before? I found a replacement on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCs-Aviat...561983?hash=item2a6a8278ff:g:b54AAOSw-W5UyIK8
Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_1899.jpg
    IMG_1899.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,066
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,483
  • IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,544
Hmmmm...Thats a tough one there Toad...Really tiny micro soldering tools and skills required to change out a plug...I took a look once,

FWIW,...A few years back I cut my 11"dd coil cable right in the middle and ran it inside the shaft and soldered it back together...that was not too hard,...on account of a guy had access to all the wires and could get on them with an iron..replacing just the plug though?...I looked at it...real tiny and tough to get on the tabs without the right gear...

Maybe try to jimmy or freshen up those sockets with a small tool to get them to fit snug first?

Hmmmm...Thats a tough one there Toad...Really tiny micro soldering tools and skills required to change out a plug...I took a look once,

FWIW,...A few years back I cut my 11"dd coil cable right in the middle and ran it inside the shaft and soldered it back together...that was not too hard,...on account of a guy had access to all the wires and could get on them with an iron..replacing just the plug though?...I looked at it...real tiny and tough to get on the tabs without the right gear...

Maybe try to jimmy or freshen up those sockets with a small tool to get them to fit snug first?

Thanks Mud. Here's an update: I took the connector apart. (Cut the shrink wrap, took the screws holding the cable clamp off, took out the screw holding the black plastic socket end.) This let me slide the cable and black plastic socket out of the metal assembly. This much like putting a new plug on and extension cord. Here's what I found out. No broken connections, the female metal pin connectors are held loosely in the plastic socket and they will slide back and forth a little. NEL had some kind of silicone caulk or glue between the individual wires where they are soldered onto the female pins. I don't know if this is an extra measure to prevent them from making contact with each other and shorting or to help glue the wires to the plastic socket. Anyways, I removed that caulk, cleaned the inside of the female pins with a needle file and then tried out the coil on the machine. Works like a charm and ground balances like it should. Before it wouldn't go off 90 when trying to ground balance and wouldn't quiet down when pumping the coil. So now I'm going to re-caulk it like it was at the factory, put the metal housing back on and call it good! I really like my NEL hunter coil the best of all my coils so I'm glad I got it working again. BTW, only four of those five pins have wires going to them. The soldering doesn't look like it would be too hard to do...should have taken a pic before I put the caulk on the connections.

Attachments

• IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 1,646
Back
Top Bottom