Hit the 1800s early this year

bergie

Forum Supporter
Since the weather was so nice today decided to try a new machine out. First I went up along the river to look around some old cabins. Didn't find too much with the new machine but I didn't stay very long neither did come away with $.22. Had run down to the grocery store and pick up some items for the wife. Got back home and the weather was really nice so I said to myself a can't wasted a good day like this. Put the AT Pro in the car and went to check out a spot I had been eyeballing on some old maps. There are three houses located in a row the first one was easy to find as I have done some metal detecting around it. The other one that I was looking for was in the middle of the probably 50 acre hayfield under some high-voltage lines. After about 30 or 40 minutes finally located it by all the iron in the ground. After a few harmonic reeds got a nice high tone out came a 1817 large cent. After pulling a few old pulltabs and got a fairly decent signal and it was half of a three ringer.Not a bad way to start the year:lol:

Attachments

• 004 (640x480).jpg
    004 (640x480).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 463
  • 003 (640x480).jpg
    003 (640x480).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 322
  • 002 (640x480).jpg
    002 (640x480).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 313
  • 001 (640x480).jpg
    001 (640x480).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 320
Great finds. Large cents are hard to come by around here. Congrats.

Great finds. Large cents are hard to come by around here. Congrats.

They are mighty hard to come by in my area also. Lucked out and found two back in December. When I do luck out and find one it's usually a round a house that's long gone. I usually research old maps to locate them some are awful hard to actually locate in the real world.:lol:Can't seem to snag any silver to save my life around those old houses hardly ever a button.

I found one burnt up largey but I think it had been worn on a necklace. I don't seem to find much silver around old home sites either. Most I've found has been around older homes where people still live. Nothing older than mercs and one barber dime. I think the old homestead I hit just had really poor folks living there! They sure had plenty of old jar lids though! LOL

Back
Top Bottom