Ground Balancing an AT Pro: When do you do it?

ScaredOfClowns

Elite Member
I've had my AT Pro for about a year and couldn't be happier with it. One thing I'm a little confused about: ground balancing.

I rarely ground balance my machine; so far, I've used it to find targets on dry land (occasionally around a freshwater creek or lake shoreline), so I haven't had to deal with salt water beaches or weird mineralization conditions.

How often do you ground balance your machines? How do you know when you need to do it? Do you use the automatic GB feature, or the manual mode?

Thanks!

I've found, at least for me, If I get erratic falses it is time to GB. And then I'll ground balance and then manually back it off at 5 numbers. I.E. if it GB's at 88 I'll manually back it down to 83.

Manual GB everytime, just ensure there's no metal first, of course...NM soil is averaging 92, so I know I'm ok at 90ish.

When changing types of soil, I always GB.

I like to go a bit negative or positive based on my mood, so it's utilizing less or more discrimination, but not too much either way...that's a subject of much debate.

I've had my AT Pro for about a year and couldn't be happier with it. One thing I'm a little confused about: ground balancing.

I rarely ground balance my machine; so far, I've used it to find targets on dry land (occasionally around a freshwater creek or lake shoreline), so I haven't had to deal with salt water beaches or weird mineralization conditions.

How often do you ground balance your machines? How do you know when you need to do it? Do you use the automatic GB feature, or the manual mode?

Thanks!

You say you couldn't be happier with your AT Pro. You say you have found things at the sites you prefer to hunt. Here is where I get confused...why would you ask for advise? You are doing what the AT Pro was designed to do and that is find metal. Don't get off that mind set. It is the most important thing you can have (besides the AT Pro). Just re-read (or download it for larger print) your AT Pro Owners Manual. Re-read Ground Balancing, page 31 and 32. You will know more than many on ground balancing procedure. Review the Overview of STD Mode vs PRO Mode under SEARCH MODES (page12). Now don't be afraid to experiment, it is that simple and easy. You are now as much or more knowledgeable, in this arena, on the AT Pro as anyone. It is kind of neat that Garrett came out with a high caliber machine like this that is user friendly. It is that simple. Good success to you. HH

Back
Top Bottom