A hit then its gone???

bullofspadez

Just got my Ace 250 and read through the manual didn't help much.

Got out in my backyard for the "Christmas morning" toy test. was getting a few hits noticed mostly foil but occasionally get coin hits. around 6-8 inches. but when i swung back over the spot it seamed to go away. i could occasionally find it again in pinpoint mode. not sure if its false ground reading or what...never done the MD thing before. and hits seamed to diminish when i changed to the relic mode. so if anyone can explain the sounds i should hear and or what might be happening?

thanks and you folks are great people on here for all the help you give, Jay

PS the first hit i got and dug it was a bottle cap with a piece of green glass in the hole as well(prolly an old beer bottle) it was at the 6-8 inch mark as well...dug 2 other holes when i got hits but found nothing thats why i started getting confused

I know the feeling, just tried my new ace this morning for like 40 minutes I felt exactly the same.. the result was 3 beer bottle caps and a pepsi bottle cap..
I've got to figure how it works since the manual is.. well rather useless..

one other quick question...for ace 250 users...when you got your ace were there batteries in it or in a package in the box...not sure if the guy i bought mine from tested it or what?? hard to think that they would ship from the factory with them in it thats just not sound to me...might have a gripe to place if things seam funky.
thanks, Jay

::UPDATE::
didn't want to repost but wanted to give a big thanks to Epi for the help...read a lot of posts but never any real advise on how to start this crazy hobby :P

For a quick test - try going to custom mode and set the Ace to 'beep' on just dime and quarters. This will eliminate much chatter and give you a good feel for what tones are for coins. You may of course get some mis-reads also. I find that bottle caps ring as dimes now and then. Head to the nearest playground (early AM - before kids) for a test. Usually some coinage there. Dimes may ring up as pennies, IMHO, happens way too often ;-(

Once you get a feel for it, then set it up to beep on penny, then nickel, pulltab, and "if you feel lucky punk", half dollar :P

I suggest custom mode as those settings stay after you power down and up. Any other setting (coins, all metal, etc) will reset after turning off.

To use the discrim is easy - just press the discrim (+, - to go left right on settings) button until you see the notch over the setting you want eliminated/restored. Press elim, and you will see the little black rectangle appear/dissapear. For just dime and quarter mode, there should just be two rectangles, one under the dime, and one under the quarter.

For sensistivity, I wuld go with just 4 notches to start off with - that will still detect just fine.

For stuff on the surface, your Ace will probably sound like a slot machine :yes:

Back
Top Bottom