• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Civil War campsite finds and coins

screwynewy

Elite Member
I have been researching this particular area that was a campsite for training soldiers at the beginning of the Civil War and finally zeroed in on where they camped. I'm sure that I am not the first to hunt the site but I am pretty happy with these finds in a 2 hour hunt. I plan to go back soon and see what else I can find. One of the flat buttons still has thread around the shank.

The coins where found at another site that was an old school dating to the early 1800's. The Barber dime was barely audible on the etrac with a very jumpy 12-44. Just enough of a squeak to make me dig. About 3 inches down I hit a rock. When I flipped out the rock (which was about 2 inches thick) the dime was sitting perfectly flat underneath it. I am pretty surprised that I even got the signal at all.

Attachments

• P1000643.jpg
    P1000643.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 659
  • P1000644.JPG
    P1000644.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 649
  • P1000647.jpg
    P1000647.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 648
  • P1000648.jpg
    P1000648.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 626
  • P1000649.jpg
    P1000649.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 632
  • P1000650.jpg
    P1000650.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 623
Awesome finds..!! Is that little piece with the small ball on the end of it part of a bayonet holder...

Nice looking coin!
Interesting it read right thru the rock.
Congrats!

Sweet finds, man! Top two left look modern to me :?:? But the rest is obviously period. Love the scabbard tip. The thread is wicked awesome! Bottom left - cleaner base? Congrats on the research paying off! hit it hard before you take the club out there :lol:

Thanks for the replies. I definitely plan to get back there soon to see what else I can find.

Sweet finds, man! Top two left look modern to me :?:? But the rest is obviously period. Love the scabbard tip. The thread is wicked awesome! Bottom left - cleaner base? Congrats on the research paying off! hit it hard before you take the club out there :lol:

I didn't know th pointed item was a scabbard tip. I thought it was some kind of finnial or a tip off of a cowboy hat tassle. Might be hard to get a club hunt at this sight but maybe worth try.

Back
Top Bottom