wheat-silver ratio

Usa

Elite Member
I have dug 6 wheaties and 2 IHP's, but never a silver coin. So.... I was wondering, whats your average Wheatie-silver ratio?:?: All input is very much appreciated.

I think there are far more wheat pennies lurking in the dirt, than silver coins. Especially now that detecting/coinshooting has been around so long. Your ratio will depend on your detecting style, locations, etc.
For me, I would've thought 10 or 12 wheats to every silver, but I'm up to 46 silvers now, and maybe only three times that many wheats. So rough estimate is 3:1 for me.

In the 40 years I have been detecting, I would estimate my ratio to be around 4 wheats to 1 silver. So, you are due to uncover silver!

Wow... too much trouble to keep track. I will say though that in the early 1980’s, when I first started dirt fishing, I did keep a log book and recorded everything

Try not to rationalize it.. Ive already dug over 50 wheats straight without hitting silver. That being said, if you're digging wheats, you are in an area that will potentially produce silver.

Since the 3 week of August 42 wheaties 2 silver half dollars 3 silver quarters 16 silver dimes 2 rings and 1 silver button thing.

Yep, 3.5:1 is pretty common for me as well. Hunting on a mix of a couple medium aged parks and various door knocked yards averaging 1910s to mid 50s.

38 and 13 for the year with almost the same ratio since '12. :aok:

I'm pretty new to the hobby, and I have only hunted new-ish parks and sports complexes, but I have around 3700 coins total. Two silver coins, 14 Wheaties, 9 silver rings, three 14k gold rings, and quite a few (around 20) sterling silver charms and necklace pendants.

I have recently started digging all solid targets from about 45 and above on my ATMax and enjoy finding the random and interesting things. I found an Italian silver necklace and 925 cross at a 49 VDI. I guess it all depends on where and how you hunt. With as many coins as I've found, and the depth that I found the two silvers at, I'm pretty sure that those were pocket change and not vintage dropped coins. Before I started beeping, I'd discover silver change in my...change. Find enough modern dropped coins, you're bound to find the occasional silver.

Interesting topic, Usa! I'm pleased to see my ratio isn't too far from most others: if you only include silver coins, I've got 130 Wheats compared to 30 silver coins since I started in early 2017...about a 4.333 to 1 ratio. If we throw silver jewelry into the mix the ratio would get noticeably better :yes:

But the more I think about it, if I'm including my Seated and Barber dimes in the ratio, I guess I should include my Indians in with the Wheats to be fair. In that case, my ration goes down quite a bit: 150 Wheats/IHP to 30 silvers, for an even 5 to 1 ratio. Dang it!

On the bright side, I'm clearly improving if you break it down by year: I only got 7 silver coins last year compared to 50 Wheats/IHP, a whooping 7.14 to 1 ratio! This year I've improved to 100 Wheats/IHP to 23 silvers, increasing my ratio to 4.35 to 1...looking at it that way, I'm slaying it!! :lol:

I love how you can make stats say almost anything you want :D

Back
Top Bottom