Test Bed for CW Relics

Fooleeze

I'm going to get an opportunity to do my first Civil War Relic hunting at some point in the future, and that's new territory for me. I want to build a test bed to get some practice in prior to getting out so I'm not wasting valuable detecting time. I'm looking for advice on building a test bed and practicing. Considering I don't have a bunch of CW relics lying around, what can I bury to simulate the type of objects I would be looking for?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Some rusty nails, clorox bottle caps, old tire weights and pull tabs, throw in some bullets and a few silver coins and you would probably cover everything. I don't think there is much you can do to make a test bed CW relevant. Your targets are just too varied and all in different amounts of decay and damage, plus you have a 150 years of a halo effect. CW relic hunting requires a lot more of the dig it all mentality than stabbing clad.

Some rusty nails, clorox bottle caps, old tire weights and pull tabs, throw in some bullets and a few silver coins and you would probably cover everything. I don't think there is much you can do to make a test bed CW relevant. Your targets are just too varied and all in different amounts of decay and damage, plus you have a 150 years of a halo effect. CW relic hunting requires a lot more of the dig it all mentality than stabbing clad.

Yep, sounds right.
Plus add some odd brass objects from hand size to small button size.

Well...when you hunt Relics

The best test garden is where you're hunting.

Just discriminate iron out and dig every good signal.:D

Good luck on your upcoming hunt. Eventually after relic hunting for awhile you be able to distinguish targets once you dig several different types of items. But your first outings I would recommend for you to dig everything. Due to the fact with relics you just never know. And don't be afraid to dig a nice iron hit. Could always be something like a artillery piece, bayonet, picket pins, horse tack ect...HH

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. I'm gobbling up all of this information.

Test Bed: Bury everything.
CW Relic Hut: Dig Everything.

:p

yep on normx post... dig it! remember cannonballs were iron, so frags or whole shot big chunks. big iron target on a battlefield is a dig target. pistol barrels, musket parts, some stirrups, iron! yea.... dig it all.....

brass buttons pewter buttons lead bullets. cant disc out much.

Back
Top Bottom