Olympic hockey

rocketmoon2

At first i thought it would be a real buzzkill with the NHL not allowing players to participate this year when it was announced. Looking now, this could be the coolest year of olympic hockey to watch in my life time (i wasn't around for the miracle on ice). I saw David Leggio is the goalie; and he is semi famous for his on ice antics; and subsequent rule changes they caused. Almost gives it a "Major League" or "The Replacements" feel. Anyone else real excited for olympic hockey? or real bummed the NHL decided to not allow their players to skate?

I'm not a hockey fan, but we all were for the "Miracle on Ice". That was back when Olympians were supposed to be amateurs and the Russians were a bunch of cheaters and still got beat. I'm disappointed the Russians aren't there so we could do it again.

Huge Hockey Fan Here! The 'Miracle on Ice' both the documentary and the one Curt Russel movie should be required as Must Sees...It sets the backdrop context in order to properly appreciate the Sport...

Hockey is best seen in person, you have to watch the whole arena with your eyes wide open to see positions and plays that are developing off camera...also, pucks do come over the glass...

Me and the Wife found ourselves in Northern Alabama when the first NHL game in the State of Alabama between the Predators and the Red Wings took place at the Huntsville Ice arena..it was surreal to find ourselves at this game, never in a million years would I have ever imagined being in Alabama witnessing a NHL game live...Monster Truck sure, but actual Hockey? No Way!

Until his death, My Uncle played on a Mens League in Muskegon, my cousin nearly went Pro...I on the other hand, once again fell between the cracks of stardom...My folks had 6 kids, consequently No Money! I had to wear my older Sisters white figure skates at the beginning of my aspirations to Hockey greatness on Ice..so yeah, imagine Johnny Weir or Tara Lipinski..that was me....:laughing:

I did learn to fight pretty good though, and even at the tender age of 14, I could do a triple Lutz! Back then, this is before anybody thought about curving a stick blade, you pretty much made your own gear out of an ash tree...If you had a Grandpa that had some woodworking skills, and an interest in seeing you getting killed, He made you a hockey stick!...:laughing:

I briefly attended BGSU in 1977, stationed at Rogers Ground West, (You GD Right!) and a few of the 'Miracle on Ice' boys came out of that establishment...I had unlimited access to the ice arena, since thats where the archery class was held, and the Prof gave me a set of keys, since I was into that and pretty damn good and trustworthy...So I'd go and let myself in when the hockey team was practicing and shoot arrows, never knowing a few of these guys would go onto greatness of that magnitude.......

Yeah...I watch Hockey...I dont know why Hockey Players dont wear figure skates though? The teeth on the front really make for a pretty good self defense weapon..perfect advantage to have in an ice fight! You grab the guy by the ears, and quick scrabble out his guts with your 'feet claws' like some sort of Evil Ice Kangaroo! :laughing:

Hockey is one tough sport! Grueling schedule! Multidisciplines required! You have to be skilled in Mixed Martial Arts and willing to get your teeth knocked out...and thats just for sitting in the bleachers! :laughing:

Last edited:
Hockey is one tough sport! Grueling schedule! Multidisciplines required! You have to be skilled in Mixed Martial Arts
and willing to get your teeth knocked out...
and thats just for sitting in the bleachers! :laughing:

That's one of the first things I think of about hockey, the missing teeth :lol:

(some hockey players keep their dentists busy :lol:)
hockeyteeth.jpg

I had one time back in tryouts around 8th or 9th grade; I was carrying the puck and heading to the other end of the ice. I didn't see one of the guys on the other team coming and he checked me hard. The world was spinning, I got knocked to the ice hard, i got back up, pretty dizzy, and saw the puck. I went down and I scored. It was awesome. Then I realized I scored on my own goalie. Deffinitly went the wrong way on the rink after that hit. The goalie and I both ended up on the B team that year. Woops, those concussions we'll get ya! The guy who checked me ended up playing in the the NHL though lol.
I think this year could be real interesting olympic wise though, pretty excited for it.

Back
Top Bottom