Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 08-06-2018, 12:42 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by lytle78 View post
Old ways can be good. For causal plinking or small game to 100 yards, optimum small bore accuracy was achieved by about 1890 or thereabouts. Of course corrosive priming ruined all those barrels, so the introduction of “Kleanbore” and similar non-mercuric priming in the 20th century fixed that. Here’s good link to the story of how that came about.

https://www.bevfitchett.us/ballistic...roduction.html

Sharpshooter? No, not hardly. The only official qualification I have is with the 2” barrel Smith and Wesson revolver issued as part of our USAF survival kit when I was a young KC-135 pilot back in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s

The only qual was in OTS and I think it was 18 rounds at 15 feet with 12 hits or something like that on a man sized target. Not many failed, but we had a woman in our flight in Officer Training school and we weren’t so sure that she would qualify. The range was a bit “loose” and after several of us were pretty sure we had qualed, we kind of helped. I think she got something like 24 out of 18 - or something like that.

In any case it was 50 years ago and my grasp of the fine details might be hazy.

In any event, my skinny elegant Remington is my favorite 22 with a Marlin model 56 lever action as runner up. This is after trying about 10 different ones over the last couple of years.
So you all wouldn’t taking cover when she was firing? Lol
The M16 qual training I had was a joke.
Disn’t Like all the noise from the multiple guns firing either.
I hate pistols for this reason.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Old 08-06-2018, 01:20 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by lytle78 View post
LH - I’m 71.

Cataracts from 20 years in Arabian Desert sun left me with new plastic lenses in both eyes - cornea replacement. Perfect focus from about 2.5 feet to infinity - clear as crystal. Receiver sight and a lovely small gold bead on the front make me deadly to 100 yards. since I don’t kill paper targets, it’s all I need.

As far a scopes for nailing ink at a couple of hundreds of yards go - I suspect my lowly - older than me Reminginton would do fine with about $1500 worth of German optics Shoe Gooded to the barrel. You might try it.
I only wish that I had my eyes rebuilt to like new. Astigmatism sucks!
When I was young, if I could see it I could hit it. Used to punch Pepsi bottle caps offhand @ 85yds (the total length of that particular range) with irons on a .50cal ML.

As I posted not too far back, I still have my Rem 513T w/globe front and adjustable aperture peep. I cut my teeth on a 513T in an NRA Youth League run by our local police when I was a kid, so I have a long love affair with that model. Shotgun primers (the original small-bore reactive targets) @ 50yds were a blast....literally.

And for years I hunted with a Rem 572 pump. No rabbits, squirrels, coons, opossum, or crows were safe if they were within sight. I still have that one too.

The RPR is something that I'm setting up for a different purpose, and so far it's doing what I'd hoped, but I'll know more after my next outing when I take it to 150 and 200yds.

The Athlon TALOS BTR 4-14x44 FFP W/APLR2 reticle that's on it didn't cost $1500 either. Quality-wise it's on par with a Vortex Razor, but for a lot less $$$.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
So you all wouldn’t taking cover when she was firing? Lol
The M16 qual training I had was a joke.
Disn’t Like all the noise from the multiple guns firing either.
I hate pistols for this reason.
I made expert with a rifle (M-14) in basic. I didn't see an M-16 until the week before I left for Vietnam. A lot of men had never fired a gun before and I felt that they were more dangerous to us than the enemy. I got Sharpshooter with aa worn out .45. I missed expert by two points. No one had ever got expert on that range. It was go over grown you couldn't see the targets very well. I had three .45's at home and I could have made expert with any of them. I love .45s. Don't ever break down your weapon before the instructor tells you to. You might end up like I did going around and helping others.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:10 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
I made expert with a rifle (M-14) in basic. I didn't see an M-16 until the week before I left for Vietnam. A lot of men had never fired a gun before and I felt that they were more dangerous to us than the enemy. I got Sharpshooter with aa worn out .45. I missed expert by two points. No one had ever got expert on that range. It was go over grown you couldn't see the targets very well. I had three .45's at home and I could have made expert with any of them. I love .45s. Don't ever break down your weapon before the instructor tells you to. You might end up like I did going around and helping others.
Thanks for your service.

Pinpointers -- Garrett Propointer, White's TRX, Makro, XP MI-6,,remote travels use Can am Defender Hd10Xt side by side

Old 08-06-2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Silversmith45 View post
Lol, you probably got over there earlier than I did. I took basic with the M16, than went to Ft. Rucker, Alabama for helicopter mechanic school and the last week got just a bit of M14 training. Went to Vietnam and there were M14's in a rack in each hooch. After about 3 months the 14's got replaced by M16's which were now kept locked up in a metal storage unit just outside HQ. We had to sign out for them for the times we had guard duty.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Old 08-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ecmo View post
After about 3 months the 14's got replaced by M16's which were now kept locked up in a metal storage unit just outside HQ. We had to sign out for them for the times we had guard duty.
After being up north, I was assigned to Division Headquarters after I got out of the hospital. I was used to having my rifle with me all of the time but there I had to turn it in to the supply room since I was now a clerk. When I got guard duty I went to check out my rifle. They had given it away. "There's a machine gun in the bunker." I was told. I spent the night with a .45 that I had found in a drawer in my new office.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:00 PM
Elite Member

Baby RPR scored it's first kill today.

@ about 45yds it was a chip-shot.
I've been shooting @ 250yds, so this wasn't even close to a challenge, it was only pest control.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.