After Losing my CTX..Why I'm going back to the Etrac!

rluna

Elite Member
As many of you know, my CTX was taken from a park I was hunting at
a couple weeks ago. Here is the thread about what happened if your interested:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2557544#post2557544

I could have gotten another CTX used, as a few good ones were for sale the past
two weeks. But after having used the CTX and also having owned an Etrac before
the CTX, I bought a new Etrac instead of replacing the CTX.

Now granted, I only had the CTX for 7 weeks but have had 12 detectors since 2006
and I think I got a fair grasp of the CTX. Hopefully enough to justify this comparison
I am making. Found 19 Silver coin in those 7 weeks, So take it for what it's worth.
I will tell you right up front, I am not claiming to be an expert on either machine
although I am more familiar with the Etrac because it's what I used for 4 months last year.

Ok, so here it goes as I tell you what I have seen with both these machines and why
I believe (for me personally) that the Etrac is a better machine.

1) THE SPEED
Even though the CTX is faster I am able to cruise along a little faster with the Etrac
because I can tell a lot faster if it is worth digging, Not just by the numbers but the
numbers along with the tone and then of course depth.

With the Etrac I dont need to stop and check every little blip of a high tone.

Let me explain:
With the CTX most of us have that last bin set at a high tone for Silver.
Of course, you want to check and investigate a high tone when you hear
one....... "But" ......there are high tones going off all the time. Any where
from a blip of a high tone to a stronger high tone sound. And one might
say, "do you really need to check every blip of a high tone?"
And I say, "Absolutely!!"
Half of the 19 Silvers that I got In the 7 weeks I owned it were just a blip,
where I then would check it from a different angle and get a diggable high
tone or number.

Now the CTX is said to be faster (faster processor and all), and that may be
true, but I have to swing it just as slow if not slower than the Etrac if I want to
catch those little blips.

2) Vdi NUMBERS
I dont see the Ctx's VDi numbers being any more stable....maybe at depth but I never
dug any silver deeper that 7" with the CTX. And lets be realistic. How often do any of
you dig silver that's 8" or deeper. Ok, I know.....there are a few of you who may. My
point is that most of us just dont.
I've gotten just a few over the past few years and I've dug hundreds of silver coins.
From 1 - 7" the ctx seems just as stable or jumpy as the Etrac.

3) TONES
This is a big one for me. My hunting buddy uses a CTX and more often than not, he
does not know that he is possibly about to dig up a silver. It's hard to tell a clad dime
from a silver dime with the CTX. Today he dug up a 1927 Mercury in great shape
reading a solid 12-40 at 4 1/2 inches deep and it was not next to iron.

I guarantee you that if I would have went over that with my Etrac I would have been
saying under my breath...."Thats a Silver!" And it would not have read at 12-40.
So he is finding himself digging up all kinds of different signals because there might
be a possibility that it could be silver. Now I'm talking about signals that are 3 to 5
inches deep.

With the Etrac, just about any silver that is 3 to 5 inches deep...you are
going to have a good idea that it is silver. Unless it is completely covered in iron.
Because even if there is a iron nail with it, at 3 - 5 inches your still going to hear it.
Not that you cant get fooled but for the most part I can tell you that I probably have
silver here. Why? Because of that unmistakable Silver warble that the Etrac is so
well known for. But that warble sound doesn't just happen for Silver...It happens,
but maybe to a lesser extent on the copper coins also....the wheaties and indian head
pennies!! I still dig clad dimes with the Etrac but a whole lot lot lot less than the CTX.

4) FUN FACTOR
Having owned both....the Etrac is just more fun for me. There is this(not sure what
to call it).....thrill maybe, or maybe the anticipation of knowing that this might very
well be a silver or a wheatie or an Indian head. And you have that with the Etrac.
Whereas with the CTX, your never quite sure, nearly as often unless it's a nickel.
You can still tell if it's a nickel quite often on the CTX just as good as an Etrac.

I went out hunting last night and hit a wheatie at 6". I was at a big park in a
secluded area. It was dark and peacful and I was gettng different signals as I was
swinging but when I hit that wheatie it was like "BAM" It hit so hard and distinct
that it seriously startled me. If that were my CTX it would have been just another
one of the many high tones that were similar that I was hearing and watching the
screen for to see if it was diggable. Which brings up another point. I dont have to
watch the screen nearly as much with the Etrac

5) HOW MUCH THEY WEIGH
In the 7 weeks that I had the CTX, it took a toll on my elbow joint.
The CTX may be balance way better than the Etrac but when you have
to bring 5 lbs of machine to a stop on the left and right ends of your swing
your elbow joint is whats taking the stress of that.

I dont swing the coil just slightly above the
ground as suggested....I ride it on the ground with maybe 20% or more of the
weight of the machine riding on the ground. So the unbalance Etrac isn't as much
of an issue for me as the weight of the CTX is.

A FEW LAST POINTS
I like the coil options you have with the Etrac. I Love the ultimate coil for the Etrac.
A perfect combination of coverage and separation. If I want better separation I
bought a fisher Id edge for $250 and it's fast!

I didn't get what the excitement was for the Target Trace. I didn't feel I needed to
know if there was iron in the hole or not. If the numbers were good with a good
signal, I'm going to dig it whether the target trace says there's iron or not.

The Gps is something I thought would be a great tool to use but not only never did,
but realized I probably never would. I'm just a go out and hunt type of guy without
turning it into rocket science.

The waterproof feature ended up being a bust for me. After hearing of all the problems
with leaking I just couldn't see taking a $2000 dollar machine into the water. No way!

So in the end I knew I was paying for features I wasn't even using.

"X1 Probe" I bought one for my new Etrac and it's pretty great! What a time saver.

The stock battery on the CTX is much better than the stock Etrac battery........BUT....
the RNB Lithium battery which "IS" available for the Etrac is borderline amazing.
Much much better than the CTX battery. Bought one for my Etrac :D

Ok, anything else......OH YES,,,,,,The Head Phones!!!
Could minelab have put a worse set of head phones on a $2000 dollar machine.
I am so glad to not be wearing those headphones anymore. Let me put this bluntly.

I DONT CARE IF THEIR WIRELESS.......THEY JUST SUCK!!!

I bought a pair of Killer B's for the Etrac and their amazing.

Oh, and then theres the price. That wasn't the factor for me but none the less
the Etrac is less expensive by about $800

Ok.....So there you have it.

I'm sorry that my CTX was taken but I am very happy to now have an Etrac :) :)

Thanks to highplaineshunter, choppadude and waterdog for being awesome
sellers for some of this equipment :)

Here is a picture of my dynamic duo....the Etrac and the Fisher Id Edge

Attachments

• WP_20160505_00_04_59_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160505_00_04_59_Pro.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 962
  • WP_20160505_00_05_26_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160505_00_05_26_Pro.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 870
Well Luna, Nice write up ! I must say it's some what funny...... and I'm not going to say I told you so, but we had these discussions on the two machines a while back and you went forward with buying the CTX anyway. The CTX 3030 is a good unit, however it is not for everyone that has had the E-Trac.Many have switched back to the E-Trac because of the silver tones and what it produces. The two really are NOT that great of difference to justify the price points between the two units and I fully agree the E-Trac tones make the silver more fun to find !!!! Best of luck in future hunts !!!!

Well Luna, Nice write up ! I must say it's some what funny...... and I'm not going to say I told you so, but we had these discussions on the two machines a while back and you went forward with buying the CTX anyway. The CTX 3030 is a good unit, however it is not for everyone that has had the E-Trac.Many have switched back to the E-Trac because of the silver tones and what it produces. The two really are NOT that great of difference to justify the price points between the two units and I fully agree the E-Trac tones make the silver more fun to find !!!! Best of luck in future hunts !!!!

Thanks Roadapple.....I think? lol

And by the way....its not that funny :D

My etrac is going up for sale after owning it for two years. It just cannot beat the potential of my explorer 2, and I've hunted with both machines very often.

I don't get the part about speed. Detecting isn't a race. I don't get outside a 20 x 20 area sometimes. Never understood the need to hear the silver chirp or whatever it is called. Once I decide to dig a target I just dig it. If it turns out to be silver that is great. Clad? Well I was going to dig it anyways. I have dug plenty of silver coins with the target ID pulled down by iron next to it. I had multiple CTX's and E Tracs. Great machines. Plenty of people swinging them. Enjoy your E Trac.

I don't get the part about speed. Detecting isn't a race. I don't get outside a 20 x 20 area sometimes. Never understood the need to hear the silver chirp or whatever it is called. Once I decide to dig a target I just dig it. If it turns out to be silver that is great. Clad? Well I was going to dig it anyways. I have dug plenty of silver coins with the target ID pulled down by iron next to it. I had multiple CTX's and E Tracs. Great machines. Plenty of people swinging them. Enjoy your E Trac.
Have you ever hunted with groups or buddies? If so, you know there's always that 'gotta get that first silver or oldie, or the most silver,' etc. Some of us are always hunting with groups. There's that little 'competition' always going on. Nothing at all wrong with that, in fact, I find it fun! That's the only time I feel speed may be necessary. Otherwise, low and slow for me.

Rluna,

I missed your first post, but seriously wanted to puke after reading it. It's hard to hear when a guy has some serious dollars invested, something bad happens and other people don't do the right thing.

I do appreciate your review and honesty, and insight.....even though I just realized your the SOB that beat me to Choppadude's E-Trac:lol:

Wish you best of luck with getting and old familiar machine back in your hand.

Sorry to here your CTX was taken, I missed that thread but reading it now. I am still on the fence over the Etrac and Excalibur 2. I have a Sovereign GT now so the Excalibur was a easy step up. But like you I just can't see putting a high dollar machine in the water. Hunting in the rain, no problem. I would like to test run a Etrac some day. Good Luck to you.

Thanks for the info.

Everybody has a line in the sand on how much they are willing to spend.

Loosing or breaking a $2500 machine, is a real bad year. Loosing an $800 machine (used etrac) is only a bad day.

I will never buy a detector that I feel the need to polish up after every hunt, or will not hunt certain areas because I dont want to scratch my detector.

I think a Ferrari Enzo is probably faster than a mustang, but most people I know buy the mustang.

My etrac holds its own when hunting along side any detector including the ctx.

The etrac is not a slouch by any means...

Rluna,

I missed your first post, but seriously wanted to puke after reading it. It's hard to hear when a guy has some serious dollars invested, something bad happens and other people don't do the right thing.

I do appreciate your review and honesty, and insight.....even though I just realized your the SOB that beat me to Choppadude's E-Trac:lol:

Wish you best of luck with getting and old familiar machine back in your hand.

Hey BigTreble: I actually didn't buy Choppadudes Etrac.....only the screen cover
and upper and lower camo rod covers. The Etrac I bought new.

So now you can like me again :D

Hey BigTreble: I actually didn't buy Choppadudes Etrac.....only the screen cover
and upper and lower camo rod covers. The Etrac I bought new.

So now you can like me again :D

Whew ok, you're good. :grin:

Actually missed a couple, but that's ok, NectorDetector took care of me on a new one, so when I get back to my house tonight, it looks lik I hav a new one waiting for me!:clapping:

Nice review, I loved my Etrac when I had it. I just like the CTX a bit more. I agree with a lot of what your saying above and it sounds like you got a custom ed to the etrac and that is great. Few things I like about the CTX vs etrac is CTX faster, separates better (dig less trash, especially can slaw and nails) That is just me though. I also detect in the rain sometimes when it starts and I dont feel like leaving, ever detect in the pouring rain? :lol: when you bend over to dig the rain funnels down the backside :wow::lol: but if its just drizzling is fine. As far as the expense goes if you have the money get the CTX, if you dont get the Etrac.. no biggie. But also include the personal preference also.

My etrac is going up for sale after owning it for two years. It just cannot beat the potential of my explorer 2, and I've hunted with both machines very often.

Hey. Would love to talk explorer II talk sometime. I need to talk to someone who really uses it a lot. I picked one up last year and I love it. But it's still my #2 detector and I know it has more to offer.

Well, I never said I want to go racing fast. The Etrac and Ctx are some of the slowest
swinging detectors out there so going a little faster would be nice.

The faster I can swing and still hear the coins the more ground I can cover.
The more ground I can cover the more old coins I can find (silver or not)
For me I am after old coins and I would have to guess that most coin hunter are.
I dont think to many (if any) coin hunters would just as well get a clad dime as
they would a Barber dime or V nickel. And being in my 50's I dont have the
energy to be digging a ton of clad....I need to be more efficient...digging wise and
time wise.

I do swing relatively slow....but I only swing slower because I have to. If the machine
was just as effective swinging a little faster then I would definitely swing it faster.

And that silver warble thing. It's simply this. If getting silver is a complete thrill for
a detectorist then hearing a distinct sound coming from your detector that tells
you it might be Silver gets super exciting for that person. It wouldn't have to be
a warble.....any distinct sound that would differentiate between silver and other coins
would do it :)

rluna - Sucks that you lost the CTX, I've too lost some expensive things from choices made on my part. At least you found a new love for the E-Trac.

I purchased the E-Trac about a year ago and I'm still in the honeymoon stage with it. No other detector I have gets the use that the E-Trac does and I hope minelab continues to support the E-Trac for a few years.

I wish I could afford the 3030 but I just don't get out and hunt enough to justify the cost. That being said, the Etrac is no slouch and I find myself less and less inclined to buy the CTX when it comes time to upgrade. I think I will wait and see what the next offering is from minelab (crossing fingers for explorer III).

rluna - Sucks that you lost the CTX, I've too lost some expensive things from choices made on my part. At least you found a new love for the E-Trac.

I purchased the E-Trac about a year ago and I'm still in the honeymoon stage with it. No other detector I have gets the use that the E-Trac does and I hope minelab continues to support the E-Trac for a few years.

I wish I could afford the 3030 but I just don't get out and hunt enough to justify the cost. That being said, the Etrac is no slouch and I find myself less and less inclined to buy the CTX when it comes time to upgrade. I think I will wait and see what the next offering is from minelab (crossing fingers for explorer III).

Ya, the Etrac is definitely quite the machine.
I agree that if you dont get out a lot the CTX would be tough to consider getting.

You should consider the 13" Ultimate in the future. Great coil for the Etrac.

QUOTE]

It was me that beat you to it!!! :sissyfight:[/QUOTE]

You are very lucky this happened to me tonight, when I got home:yes:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=231342

When I saw it, I would have been surprised if I was the first. Funny thing was you don't see them used often, and I saw two within 24 hours of one another. And missed them both.

As Maxwell Smart would have said, Missed it by that much.

Back
Top Bottom