Not Sure the CTX is Really Faster then the Etrac.

rluna

Elite Member
A little background first:

Sold my Etrac about 7 weeks ago and got a CTX.
In the 7 weeks I've had it I found 19 silver coins.

Had my Etrac from Sept - Dec of last year and found
50 silver coins...point being, I did well with the Etrac also :)

It's taking me a little bit to get use to the CTX.
Here is what I am finding a little frustrating.

Even though the CTX is faster it just seems (from what I remember),
that I could cruise along a little faster with the Etrac because I just
knew better if it was worth digging, Not just by the numbers but the
numbers along with the tone and then of course depth.

I'm a coin hunter that, for the most part goes after Silver, Copper and
Nickels so on the Etrac I didn't necessarily have to stop and thoroughly
investigate every little high tone. I knew by the way it sounded off on
Silver or Copper whether I should then check the numbers and depth.
I also had a tight nickel discrimination so would check also when I heard
the nickel sound......Simple.

With the Etrac I wasn't needing to stop and check every little blip of a high tone.
I used Bills trashy park program on the Etrac.

With the CTX most of us have that last bin set at a high tone for Silver.
Of course, you want to check and investigate a high tone when you hear
one....... "But" ......there are high tones going off all the time. Any where
from a blip of a high tone to a stronger high tone sound. And one might
say, "do you really need to check every blip of a high tone?"
And I say, "Absolutely!!"
Half of the 19 Silvers that I got were just a blip where I then would check it
from a different angle and get a diggable high tone or number.

Now the CTX is said to be faster (faster processor and all), and that may be
true, but I have to swing it just as slow if not slower than the Etrac if I want to
catch those little blips.

Which is why my post title says: "Not Sure the CTX is Really Faster then the Etrac."

Also, not one of the 19 coins was deeper than 6 1/2 - 7"
Most except for 2 were from 4 to 6 inches deep. I do believe the Etrac probably
would have gotten any one of those. I also dont see the Ctx's VDi numbers being
any more stable....maybe at depth but I haven't dug any silver deeper that 7" yet
with the CTX. From 1 - 7" the ctx seems just as stable or jumpy as the Etrac.

Now I'm not trying to talk my self out of the CTX by no means. I bought it because
I heard what this machine can do, but maybe I'm doing something wrong with the Ctx
or maybe I just need to learn it better.....Or Both :)

Any thoughts on what I'm experiencing or suggestions would be much appreciated??

Rand(nightdigger)

Without a doubt the CTX is faster. That being said, my newer main computer has a 3.2 MHz processor and one of my old ones has a 2.2 MHz processor but the older one runs faster. The reason it does is it runs half the processes my new one does. The CTX has a faster processor but it is easy to start adding all those filtering options that begin to slow that faster process down. If that make sense.

I've seen others that felt the same way towards their new CTX and I figure either they got a problem with their detector or something just isn't right. For me there was no comparison. My CTX ran circles around my E-Trac. In depth and just about every imaginable other comparison. The only thing I liked better on the E-Trac is the tones. I feel they carry more information than the CTX tones.

I wish Minelab would have gave users a zero tone option setting for the bins.

If you are getting a lot of blips,,,you might raise your disc a bit up at the bottoms. I don't know what you are running.

Some iron will leak through sometimes.

And too high a sen can make a little worse too.

CTX stock coil to stock coil---- much better separator than etrac.

Put it this way,, with 3 old churches,,etrac down by the sidewalks,,nota
Ran CTX , down by the same sidewalks,,, unmistakably tone provided on 4 different IHs in trash and nails.
Both were setup with recovery fast ON.

Something else-- I haven't tried but you might ask,,,I have only ever run stock phones with CTX,,,an aftermarket set may indeed spruce up the tones the CTX provides vs stock ones.

Cheers

Sounds like time spent with the machine is the overall issue. Not that you are struggling and don't know what you are doing... It's a new machine to learn. Takes a bit sometimes. I'm almost to a year and just unlocking it's greatness

I am not a brand specific guy by any means, but the longer I am in this hobby the more I have concluded that unless you dig it all you will never truly know what you pass up. It doesn't require a high end machine to do that. I enjoy reading these threads and very seldom chime in because I don't get a kick out of stirring the pot. I have tried some of the high end machines and I believe they all do what they were designed to do-detect metal. I had little patience with the CTX but I don't blame the machine I blame me! There are so many variables at play with all of these detectors. Heck there are so many variables at play with the environment and soil conditions and the way one uses their setup. I see great finds from all kinds of different detectors on the forums and I just chalk it up to location and the user knowing his machine and ole lady luck! My best find to date was with an Ace 250 not even 3" deep. I believe any detector could've found that. There was no skill involved just beep and dig :roll:.

Your just finding out what a lot of others have. Hope things work out for you!

I know beach hunting the CTX if I swing it as fast as I can it will hit some deeeeep stuff. But no way of knowing whose is set up how. After using mine a long time I can actually sense the field being absorbed by some of those rotten zincs. That real deep stuff may not be a good set of numbers. But if the tones you use you don't ever change you can just tell it's something you need to dig. I know on some of the targets I test swing fast I get someone else to use their beach detector on it and they get nothing. May be a sinker at 15" deep but don't know the max depth on gold yet. Silver it will find almost any piece of on a beach. But man use the detector a while and learn it. It was a whole lot different than my DFX. But I stuck with it.

Thanks so much for your comments.

WEll, I guess none of this matters too much anymore because
the day I posted this my CTX was taken from the park I was hunting at.

My CTX is Gone!

Here is my thread of what happened:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2557544#post2557544

rluna,
Very sorry to hear what happened with your CTX. Considering your situation and recent posts, I do have a question for you if you don't mind..

Now that you've used the CTX for a while, If you had the money in your hand right now to purchase another CTX, would you buy it again or would you just get another E-trac and keep the change?

rluna,
Very sorry to hear what happened with your CTX. Considering your situation and recent posts, I do have a question for you if you don't mind..

Now that you've used the CTX for a while, If you had the money in your hand right now to purchase another CTX, would you buy it again or would you just get another E-trac and keep the change?

This IS indeed a good question... Maybe a LITTLE short on ownership time for the learning curve, but a good question.

I would have to buy another one if I were in this situation. The thought of taking my ATP anywhere but the water freaks me out.

rluna,

Ok Rattlehead, I finally got around to starting a thread to answer your question :)

Here is the answer:
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2567280#post2567280

Rand(nightdigger)

Sounds like time spent with the machine is the overall issue. Not that you are struggling and don't know what you are doing... It's a new machine to learn. Takes a bit sometimes. I'm almost to a year and just unlocking it's greatness

I agree.

I Know

You miss that Silver squeal & all the after market coil options the E-trac has , but I am not going to bash the CTX3030 as it is a good machine, good luck with it, Earl

Detector nailed it with this line: "The CTX has a faster processor but it is easy to start adding all those filtering options that begin to slow that faster process down. If that make sense."

I wish Minelab would have gave users a zero tone option setting for the bins.

If you are getting a lot of blips,,,you might raise your disc a bit up at the bottoms. I don't know what you are running.

Some iron will leak through sometimes.

And too high a sen can make a little worse too.

CTX stock coil to stock coil---- much better separator than etrac.

Put it this way,, with 3 old churches,,etrac down by the sidewalks,,nota
Ran CTX , down by the same sidewalks,,, unmistakably tone provided on 4 different IHs in trash and nails.
Both were setup with recovery fast ON.

Something else-- I haven't tried but you might ask,,,I have only ever run stock phones with CTX,,,an aftermarket set may indeed spruce up the tones the CTX provides vs stock ones.

Cheers

Although there's no "zero tone setting for the bins", Seems to me, if you don't want to hear anything from that bin, write your disc to ignore that bin.

Detector nailed it with this line: "The CTX has a faster processor but it is easy to start adding all those filtering options that begin to slow that faster process down. If that make sense."

Just like with Pc computers, when someone says that the processor is slow, your
basically saying that the power of that processor, cant efficiently handle the amount
of tasks you are asking it to do.

For example, the Pentium 2 processor at one time was a fast processor because it could
process, at that time, what it was given. A Pentium 2 now is considered a dinosaur and
slow.....not because the processor speed has changed or has gotten slower or less powerful
but what the processor is expected to handle has changed.

So the true speed of a processor (in practical application) is determined by how well it's
able to handle the information that is expected of it.
If it's given more than it can handle - its slow

The CTX, even though it has a lot more information to deal with than the Etrac, still
handles that information faster than the Etrac processor handles it's information.
But like Detector said the more you have the CTX doing, the slower the CTX will be.

Well,

The CTX was released after say Xp Deus,,,,the Deus seems to respond faster than the CTX.

I think maybe the better term,,description here would be CTX responds slower than Deus--- is this processor speed related?? Don't know for sure.

Looking at for example the better TID at depth,,the CTX generally provides on the deeper targets,,,,could it be possible we will never see an ultra fast responding detector from say Minelab-- that still yields this good TID at depth???

I am thinking not.

This extra time will for the most part be needed to yield this above average TID at depth characteristic. I could be wrong-- time should/ will tell.

And here may be a clue. I had a go find 20,, I got as a bonus detector,,but gave it away to someone with a child.

How does a go find, 20,40, or 60 compare speed wise to CTX??? Surely Minelab wouldn't have used a faster processor in these cheaper detectors,,but maybe so.
Granted they seem to be set up more like a traditional Vlf vs FBS family.

Back
Top Bottom