Dutchess county

BetterThanFishin

Hey everyone,

Just started this as a hobby and seeing if anyone wants to meet in Dutchess county area today/ tomorrow. I am located in Wapp/EastFishkill area.

Cheers,
Robert

Hey everyone,

Just started this as a hobby and seeing if anyone wants to meet in Dutchess county area today/ tomorrow. I am located in Wapp/EastFishkill area.

Cheers,
Robert

Hey there Robert, My girlfriend and I recently got into this hobby as well and are also in the East Fishkill area (stormville) If you are ever up for it we can meet up and hunt. I could use a few pointers :D Also if anyone could point me in the direction of either a good website or a store around here that sells related items it would be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan

Monday searching...

Good morning,

Heading out in a few minutes to scout an old creek bed. Just throwing this out there and if anyone wants to meet within 20 miles from 12590 today for a hunt after 9am, let's go.

Found average coins, possibly a fake silver hoop earring sitting on ground surface level, and a crushed soda can reading dead center 6" down which turned out to be on it's flat edge diagonal and off center of pinpoint. Tricky, tricky.

There was an Oak tree at 120+ yrs old I was searching around its base area. Half of the trunk on the south side is missing from either lightning damage or disease leaving the core to hollow out. About 15' high in the trunk was some furry light brown critter with it's back sticking out. Not a raccoon nor cat but that size. Stepped back a bit and watched its breathing pattern. It was sleeping or hiding up there like a child hides behind their hands as if no one can see them so I went back to finding an iron latch. Snakes... pfff, Imagine having to tell your friends a small mammal ambushed you from a tree!

Had to leave after a while. The town crew came in to work in the area. I'm heading back there tomorrow and if something good is found it will be posted. IF that critter is there pics will be taken.

This was found in a few pricker bushes off the trail. It looks cool on the inside. Print on bottom is a 4. Cork type?

The tree pic is where that critter was just above, X is where I was searching. This was a mild reminder about paying attention to your surroundings compared to today's creatures hanging in the woods...http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=113425

Attachments

• REESEBOTTLEFORUM1.jpg
    REESEBOTTLEFORUM1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 463
  • REESEBOTTLEFORUM3.jpg
    REESEBOTTLEFORUM3.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 454
  • REESEBOTTLEFORUM2.jpg
    REESEBOTTLEFORUM2.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 461
  • CRITTERTREEFORUM.jpg
    CRITTERTREEFORUM.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 526
Cork top bottle with cork inside

Here is the first cork-top bottle I have found. It was above the surface of another dump site. One half sea shell was found in the same area.

The numbers on the bottom are:
Left a 9 with line directly underneath
Center is a Triangle with a T
Right 895 W
No other markings on the bottle. The grass inside is being used as an agitator to remove the yummy gunk inside without causing damage to the bottle.

Did not research yet but assume it is a 1909 common type cork top bottle. Heading back there in a little bit to see what other goodies are there.

Attachments

• 1909 Cork Top Bottle1.jpg
    1909 Cork Top Bottle1.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 443
  • 1909 Cork Top Bottle2.jpg
    1909 Cork Top Bottle2.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 427
  • 1909 Cork Top Bottle3.jpg
    1909 Cork Top Bottle3.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 422
  • 1909 Cork Top 1.jpg
    1909 Cork Top 1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 428
last run to that place lol

Here are the last bottles I will be pulling out from this site. It's way too nasty to mess with. :( Still completely satisfied at these. 20 & 21 are interesting.

1 Bottom says DESIGN PATENT 580-F
Large T inside inverted triangle

2 LEPAGE'S GOLD MEDAL MUCILAGE on side

3 TRADE MARK VASELINE CHESEBROUGH NEW YORK (Favorite)

4 DROPPER 3 3/8" LONG

5 & 6 Jagged Vile, no marks, seam on band only 2 1/2" Tall

7 Side 1 says SMITH BROTHERS Side 2 says COUGH SYRUP. Bottom has: S.B with a 3 underneath it.

8 & 9 Mason jar lid for the spring clip type? 3 1/8" across.

10 & 11 MILK WHITE "BABY" LID 2 1/2" across

12 Top of glass says THE GREATER ATLANTIC & PACIFIC TEA CO., bottom stamped with: 324 with a 5 below it. 10 1/2" high.

13 Brown Bottle #1: 4" H x 1 3/4" x 1 1/4". Bottom has stamp of a diamond with a squiggly (yep I said it lol) 7 under it.

14 Brown Bottle #2: 3" H x 1" across x 4" round

15 Brown Bottle #3: 5" H x 2" across x 6 1/5" round

16 & 17: BOYDIS GENUINE PORCELAIN LINED CAP 4, #2 stamped in center of cap.

18 & 19: No idea what they were for, H stamped on bottoms.

20 & 21: Some kinda' jug.

22: Soak time.

Attachments

• Jar 1.jpg
    Jar 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 510
  • Lepage's bottle 1.jpg
    Lepage's bottle 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 425
  • VASELINE.jpg
    VASELINE.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 415
  • Dropper.jpg
    Dropper.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 418
  • Jagged Vile1.jpg
    Jagged Vile1.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Jagged Vile2.jpg
    Jagged Vile2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 439
  • MILK WHITE BABY LID BOTTOM.jpg
    MILK WHITE BABY LID BOTTOM.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 418
  • MILK WHITE BABY LID TOP.jpg
    MILK WHITE BABY LID TOP.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 427
  • MASON LID BLUE TOP.jpg
    MASON LID BLUE TOP.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 429
  • MASON LID BLUE BOTTOM.jpg
    MASON LID BLUE BOTTOM.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 429
  • Smith Bro's cough1.jpg
    Smith Bro's cough1.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 417
  • atlantic&pacific1.jpg
    atlantic&pacific1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 402
  • BRWNBTTLE1.jpg
    BRWNBTTLE1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 419
  • BRWNBTTLE2.jpg
    BRWNBTTLE2.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 427
  • BRWNBTTLE3.jpg
    BRWNBTTLE3.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 423
  • Boyds porcelain cap.jpg
    Boyds porcelain cap.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 434
  • Boyds porcelain cap TOP.jpg
    Boyds porcelain cap TOP.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 429
  • glass bottoms2.jpg
    glass bottoms2.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 414
  • glass bottoms1.jpg
    glass bottoms1.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 429
  • DEADJUG1.jpg
    DEADJUG1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 426
  • DEADJUG2.jpg
    DEADJUG2.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 429
  • Reese bottle gang 2.jpg
    Reese bottle gang 2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 419
Personal Keeper!

This bottle is really cool so it goes in the personal collection. Always wanted a bottle with Poughkeepsie, New York and did not expect a half pint :)

Attachments

• HALF PINT POUGHKEEPSIE1.jpg
    HALF PINT POUGHKEEPSIE1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 417
  • HALF PINT POUGHKEEPSIE BOTTOM.jpg
    HALF PINT POUGHKEEPSIE BOTTOM.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 407
  • HALF PINT POUGHKEEPSIE ORANGE.jpg
    HALF PINT POUGHKEEPSIE ORANGE.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 417
:shock: Those are some awesome finds, were you doing some digging, or were these surface finds?..when people do Dig, generally how do you go about it..? Do you use a Prod to tell how deep the bottles are? I did some bottle hunting yesterday, found some pretty cool stuff, most of it is from the 40's on up, but the area i was in had been used as a dumping ground for a long period before that....Watch out for ticks this Season ( winter this year was really mild ).... I had a Couple burrowed into me last night....

:shock: Those are some awesome finds, were you doing some digging, or were these surface finds?..when people do Dig, generally how do you go about it..? Do you use a Prod to tell how deep the bottles are? I did some bottle hunting yesterday, found some pretty cool stuff, most of it is from the 40's on up, but the area i was in had been used as a dumping ground for a long period before that....Watch out for ticks this Season ( winter this year was really mild ).... I had a Couple burrowed into me last night....

Thanks!

Almost every bottle was found on the surface.

Digging is tricky. A flexible steel rake avoids damaging/scratching bottles that are below the surface while removing dirt/debris. Using Plasti-dip on the ends of the rake help avoid scratching the glass too.

Never used a probe yet. Another site I am (still) waiting to get back to stopped in the late '40's and a guess is that pre-1900 items will be around 8" and deeper. The pro's can give more details about digging. Verbally I can explain a few ideas, writing them down is not my savvy.

Ticks are annoying little buggers. This season has been ok with them. Last season 28 ticks were removed on me from being in the woods for less than 2 hours one night. Yep, climbing over-under/ in-around any spots possible while out searching for stuff is fun but chances become greater for more ticks to latch on. Bet most of the ticks are hanging out near animal trails.

Thanks!

Almost every bottle was found on the surface.

Digging is tricky. A flexible steel rake avoids damaging/scratching bottles that are below the surface while removing dirt/debris. Using Plasti-dip on the ends of the rake help avoid scratching the glass too.

Never used a probe yet. Another site I am (still) waiting to get back to stopped in the late '40's and a guess is that pre-1900 items will be around 8" and deeper. The pro's can give more details about digging. Verbally I can explain a few ideas, writing them down is not my savvy.

Ticks are annoying little buggers. This season has been ok with them. Last season 28 ticks were removed on me from being in the woods for less than 2 hours one night. Yep, climbing over-under/ in-around any spots possible while out searching for stuff is fun but chances become greater for more ticks to latch on. Bet most of the ticks are hanging out near animal trails.

Hello!

I am in 12590 its hilarious you found bottles if I could show you my collection you would think my metal detector was a glass detector! I guess when we are out there we pay more attention to detail and find things most wouldn;t notice.

Hello!

I am in 12590 its hilarious you found bottles if I could show you my collection you would think my metal detector was a glass detector! I guess when we are out there we pay more attention to detail and find things most wouldn;t notice.

Bottles seem to be almost anywhere! I love it. Since the rain has been sort of heavy, I will be heading to that spot in about a half hour. Let's see what else may be there.

Back
Top Bottom