Help please! Bullet shape copper w/ clad, rocks w/ shiny "silver"

Jo ann

Elite Member
I've been doing test digs in different area's while learning my MD,
there are two strange things I can't figure out.

1. the copper or brass bullet shape object that isn't a bullet and isn't a fishing lead (no holes through it) there is a bunch of these coming up as coins/nickles they where found where I found things like bolts, nuts, clad, beer foil, pull tabs.

2. Rock with "quartz"?, black stone, rust on some, but the coolest part is that there is "silver" "shiny metal" chunks and flakes all through it, these where found in another area where I know there is an old spring. There also was a light grey rock and a black rock (not coal lol) that the detector picked up, these beeped in as silver/coin. I'm starting to think that it might be wielding? I had a mechanic look at it, and his friend a genious, and they are both leaning on silver, but there isn't any silver in WV except in myths and I think it's too light.

Attachments

• DSC03563.jpg
    DSC03563.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 797
  • DSC03565.jpg
    DSC03565.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 724
  • 580.JPG
    580.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 657
Last edited:
I believe the bullet shaped objects are fired armor piercing projectiles . It appears they struck a hard object flattening the point & exposing part of the hardened core . Not sure what the other objects are that you found .

This pic was taken to show the brightness of the copper. I got it brighter than I meant to when cleaning it. If you look, the lead was starting to get eaten away in the ground. I have a couple that are a lot worse. I cannot tell from your pics if there are any rifling marks on the bullets or if they were dropped and not actually fired. Either way, they are neat finds. I find a lot of casings, but relatively few of the projectiles themselves.

Doug

picture.php

West Virginia Silver Nugget

Ok, so I think the neighbors are correct the rock is a West Virginia Silver Nugget...

............Melted beer cans stuck to quartz, :lol:

It hasn't been made official yet, but I'm going to see how much the neighbors will offer for that nugget.
I might even offer them shares to the claim.

”Rock with "quartz"?, black stone, rust on some, but the coolest part is that there is "silver" "shiny metal" chunks and flakes all through it, these where found in another area where I know there is an old spring. There also was a light grey rock and a black rock (not coal lol) that the detector picked up, these beeped in as silver/coin. I'm starting to think that it might be wielding? I had a mechanic look at it, and his friend a genious, and they are both leaning on silver, but there isn't any silver in WV except in myths and I think it's too light."

Sounds similar to what I found while out prospecting....MAGNETITE. check to see if it is magnetic. If it is, and its natural, its either magnetite or a meteorite. If its a meteor you've hit the jackpot, but I don't think so. Scrape it on some white, rough porcelain, like the underside of a plate or toilet bowl lid. If it streaks black its magnetite, brown is hematite.

Ok, just saw your picture....it's not magnetite......... :yes: ...Melted beer cans stuck to quartz

Sounds similar to what I found while out prospecting....MAGNETITE. check to see if it is magnetic. If it is, and its natural, its either magnetite or a meteorite. If its a meteor you've hit the jackpot, but I don't think so. Scrape it on some white, rough porcelain, like the underside of a plate or toilet bowl lid. If it streaks black its magnetite, brown is hematite.

Yep, I did the streak test and the scratch test, both are very close to a silver test, and lighter than an aluminum test, the thing that threw me was that one rock, has the silver type 'crystals' growing out of it, so this must of been an extremely hot fire, I'm thinking an old iron or coal furnace, to make rock and man made mineral take crystal form.

The last photo is not a meteorite. Meteorites have no sharp or pointy edges on them. And there will be no vesicles like found in lava rocks, Meteorites will also have flow marks where the iron in them has melted and 'Flowed' during entry into our atmosphere.
But as for what it could be....I am at a loss..

Back
Top Bottom