• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Yep, they are still out there.

Rawhide

Elite Member
As we welcome new folks to the hobby. I recently came across a post that blew me away. How would you all respond to this post:

Just a wee question went on ma first rally today what is the procedure when you find something and leave it I found 3 cans dug up then reburied again. I personally would of just picked them up binned them and move on. Especially if other detectorists were there!

First page of all my detector manuals have the code of ethics printed on them. Its also on the box.

As we welcome new folks to the hobby. I recently came across a post that blew me away. How would you all respond to this post:

Just a wee question went on ma first rally today what is the procedure when you find something and leave it I found 3 cans dug up then reburied again. I personally would of just picked them up binned them and move on. Especially if other detectorists were there!

First page of all my detector manuals have the code of ethics printed on them. Its also on the box.

I see this a LOT. People either re-burying large trash items or leaving it next to the hole they either filled poorly or didn't bother to. I also see it on the beach - people leaving jagged pieces of metal/hooks/etc on the sand, right next to the hole they didn't fill in.

I pull pretty much everything I come across, even if it's just surface trash. I view the parks as a treasure to be maintained, and try to do my part.

That being said, you'll note it says "pretty much"

There are times, I get to digging, and discover the tip of my lesche just got buried into the remains of an aluminum can. If it's going to require a minute or two more and a whole lot of turf cutting, I'll often just put the flap back down, and tamp it. ESPECIALLY if there's lots of people watching. I don't want to be digging giant mounds of stuff out of the ground when people are around. It's not against city ordinance around here, but it just seems smarter.

There's also the occasional time I'm tot-lot hunting, and will see whatever it is that is making the tone, and simply leave it and keep swinging. Sometimes the bending is just not worth the effort. I like to think of it as helping the next MDer have something to do.

LOL

Skippy

There is actually a benefit and a strategy involved in whether a fellow leaves trash for the next guy to waste his time on...For instance, if its a place that you wont likely be to ever again, why bother wasting YOUR time cleaning it up? Cherry pick it for Old Glory! We are Pirates and treasure hunters, not janitors!:laughing:

If its a place you will likely be hitting over and over throughout the season, every single morning, like a popular beach, or a totter, then yeah, get everything out of there so not even a scrap of foil is around...the lack of targets helps discourage your competition from hunting a primary drop zone, and it makes you faster and more productive not finding the same signal twice!...

Anyway, nobody but another detectorist knows or cares if you rebury or leave scrap behind...salting a beach with wheat pennies, junk jewelry, or tabs/nickels is another good one to keep some other hunter off your primo territory...It keeps them busy, they go home happy, you go home happy, so its a Win Win! :laughing:

Clad stabbing at the park, if it comes out of the hole it's mine, but if it's big and still in the hole I leave it. I pick up a lot of surface trash too. Down by the river, I leave too much trash. I'd like to haul it out, but there is just too much. I still manage to fill a bucket or 2. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, when I'm in the great outdoors I always try to leave it cleaner than I found it

Better still buried that left on top of the ground. I dig a lot of trash signals just to see what they are. Often it's just cans but sometimes it's something that was used years ago. Once out of the ground they go in my ouch until I can find a trash can. In my trunk id there isn't one available. I need to clean out my trunk.

Back
Top Bottom