Favorite detector sound for gold ring?

Bklein

I'm curious if some of you have preferences on how a detector sounds off when it finds a gold ring and generally audibly sounds targets. I've used/tried several detectors and settled on the CTX because of ID/discrimination, but the detection sounds of the Excal and Surf PI Pro sound pretty cool to me. How do other popular detectors compare - perhaps some that new detectors have surpassed in detection ability but you miss the sounds they had? Sometime in the future I want to experiment with audio circuits on a home-made detector or modified commercial one just for kicks.

The surf PI does not make a gold sound like the Excal does... the only thing the PI is doing is beeping on a target... it might be a smoother, rounder sounding target but I have found nothing out that I have used like the Excal or GT when it comes to gold tones.

With the Fisher F5, even on 4-sound mode, it could be gold, foil, or a nickel, so: Dig it! :D

Most of the gold I dig is fairly deep so the tones are useless on the Excalibur for me since deep targets can give bad reports or tones.

I'm curious if some of you have preferences on how a detector sounds off when it finds a gold ring and generally audibly sounds targets. ...

That question is a "moving target". Because gold rings come in infinite sizes, karats, weight, shapes, etc... So they can "sound" as low and whispy as small foil (if they're dainty ladies rings). Or as bold and loud as a fishing sinker or penny (if they're husky fat man's bands, or big college rings).

To answer your question though, my favorite sound to hear, is when we're working the beach where all the light stuff is washed out. So there will be no foil expected. Yet you get a "foil signal" (below nickel). Then you hold your breath digging it up, hoping it's a dainty lady's gold (and hopefully with a big solitaire stone setting, doh! :D )

My Compadré just says, "dig me!"

Seriously though, they sound good but so do pull tabs and aluminum freshness drink seals and screw caps... and even a zinc cent and occasional bottle cap :lol:

I dig a lot and let God sort it all out...

JK.

But I do dig a lot, foil... etc.

With my Excal 1000 with a SEF 12 x 15

when I switch from pin point with the caw-caw sound and go to discriminate and get the flatulent duck grunt sound on a 18 kt ring.

Audio circuit experimentation! Some of us Freshies use the AtPro and hunt gold.

It will NOT miss a ring of any sort!...for some reason, It just hits the hell out of them...(point4g of 14k is the smallest I've found). It also hits chains, which is a very admirable and welcomed trait.

I have a theory here about that AtPro circuit...lemme run this up the flagpole and see who salutes..We know most all rigs are designed to hit on a coin shaped object, but what if some Poindexter thought a little bit and tweaked the circuit to hit on a Ring shaped object just a little harder? Like ramps the internal volumn a teeny tiny tad when the coil passes over one, and keeps it standard over a coin??

Just in field observations and musings mostly, Like I said, the thing simply slams a ring shaped object, even tiny ones, like blue jean grommets...

I wonder about this on account of my F70 usage...it will discern and tone on everything with the same volumn parameters depending on size and depth..sure, they both have proportional audio, which I like,...but it seems the Pro simply hits ring shaped objects at depth a lot harder than it should...So I wonder if this thought process was taken into account when the circuit was designed?...
Mud.

Nice low tone on my excal, stainess is around the same tone but distinctive enough to get my attention when i hear it...

Unfortunately for me I'm tone deft. I have to try to judge from the VDI, and depth. From the amount of junk bling I dug this year, I'm hoping that the people around here are just cheap and it's not a tone I'm missing.

Nice low tone on my excal, stainess is around the same tone but distinctive enough to get my attention when i hear it...

That's strange... For me gold sounds more like a penny on the excal, except slightly softer (not as high pitched). Stainless rings sound just like foil, which sounds nothing like gold to me. I use discrimination set to 1 at all times.

when I switch from pin point with the caw-caw sound and go to discriminate and get the flatulent duck grunt sound on a 18 kt ring.

hahaha flatulent duck...that's great. I always thought the gold tone on the excal was more of a low WOMP WOMP. Love that sound!

On your specific machine, gold will ring up between foil to zinc pennies... more often than not foil, tab, nickel tones. Dig those low numbers 12-09 - 12-19 etc...

My favorite sound when locating a good ring is the "clunk clunk" sound it makes in the scoop after I dig it up!

haha, good one. And have you ever dug enough thousands of coins, that .... after a few years, you can even tell the sound of silver coins "clink clinking" in your basket. Like they make a different sound that the "clink" of clad in the basket :p

Back
Top Bottom