Old satellite photos?

mziggy0203

I've been looking for a website that shows old satellite photos for free and i cant seem to find it. Any suggestions?

If you download Google Earth you can see back in time, depending on where you live. Big cities have older satellite images.

There's more. But that one works best for me.

If you download Google Earth you can see back in time, depending on where you live. Big cities have older satellite images.

There's more. But that one works best for me.

I second that.

works very good because you can scroll to let's say 1995 then scroll back to 2012 to see if that house,school, bank etc is still there.

How do you get the older maps on google maps. I can't seem to find anything but current when I look

How do you get the older maps on google maps. I can't seem to find anything but current when I look

Go up to the menu. See the clock icon with the arrow pointing left-ish? Click that.

That should work.

I would have suggested Historical Aerials also, but in my area there is ZIP for that website. Also didn't know how to spell aerials off the top of my head:lol:

didn't work for me.

:?:I went to the historic arials site to lokk up my town but it didn't show me a picture?

Here a good site for historic aerial photography and satellite images:

http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

You'll have to register, but it's free.

Thank you for this!!!

On every other site (google earth historic, historicaerials, historicmapworks, bing) the oldest they had for my area was 1992.

With earthexplorer, I am able to find aerial photos of EVERY single location in my area from 1949. It is a bit harder to download the image, find the correct orientation of it, and pinpoint an exact area, but it is worth it. I thought I would never find aerials older than '92. Thanks!

Thank you for this!!!

On every other site (google earth historic, historicaerials, historicmapworks, bing) the oldest they had for my area was 1992.

With earthexplorer, I am able to find aerial photos of EVERY single location in my area from 1949. It is a bit harder to download the image, find the correct orientation of it, and pinpoint an exact area, but it is worth it. I thought I would never find aerials older than '92. Thanks!

How do you find the older maps? I am a bit confused on this site.

Thank you for this!!!

I'm having a hard time opening the .gz files when I download them.

Any pointers?

How do you find the older maps? I am a bit confused on this site.

I had a hard time figuring it out as well.

Put in the address or location under the search criteria tab. Click enter, then click the hyperlink with that location or address that shows up. Click on the data sets tab and expand "aerial photography" and make sure they are all checked. Then click the results tab up top. All aerials should show up. In my area, there is 10-12 aerials for every location ranging from 49-77. Multiples in the 50's as well.

You can make sure that aerial actually covers the area you are looking for by clicking the footprint icon on that aerial. It will put a colored square over the map to the right. If your location is within that square, you are good to go. Download it and then use google maps to compare landmarks or geo features (I use lakes since there is so many in FL) to pinpoint your location.

Let me know if you get it or have other questions.

Any pointers?

Sorry my computer DL's them as TIF files automatically and I do not have any issues opening the files.

I had a hard time figuring it out as well.

Put in the address or location under the search criteria tab. Click enter, then click the hyperlink with that location or address that shows up. Click on the data sets tab and expand "aerial photography" and make sure they are all checked. Then click the results tab up top. All aerials should show up. In my area, there is 10-12 aerials for every location ranging from 49-77. Multiples in the 50's as well.

You can make sure that aerial actually covers the area you are looking for by clicking the footprint icon on that aerial. It will put a colored square over the map to the right. If your location is within that square, you are good to go. Download it and then use google maps to compare landmarks or geo features (I use lakes since there is so many in FL) to pinpoint your location.

Let me know if you get it or have other questions.

Sorry my computer DL's them as TIF files automatically and I do not have any issues opening the files.

Thanks for responding , I was able to find a utility to open them on Windows 7. Weird to be looking at aerial photos from the 50s. But it put me onto an old train depot thatnis now wide open for swinging.

Wish me luck...

Any pointers?

The .gz files are compressed files and can uncompressed with PKZIP. It's free software if you don't already have it.

There is a bit of a learning curve on this site, but once you get the hang of it it's great. The only files I D/L are the single photo frames. The others are not historic.

Back
Top Bottom