The SCOOP !!!

HEM

Forum Supporter
Finally she came out of our workshop, the sand scoop that my brother and I made.
I gave it a try this sunday at Flic en Flac and was very satisfied with it.
So its a two piece sand scoop, all metal construction, a bit heavy, strong, just like I want them to be :)

Attachments

• CRIM0015.jpg
    CRIM0015.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,296
  • CRIM0017.JPG
    CRIM0017.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,197
  • CRIM0018.JPG
    CRIM0018.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,199
  • CRIM0020.jpg
    CRIM0020.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,192
Nice sturdy looking scoop. I might take a stab at duplicating it for myself. Thanks.

There is another one coming very soon, it will be stainless steel but will have a different shape like this scoop. One thing I would like to say is that you don't need to have special skills to make things only some good friends or a big brother who is willing to help you :)

I did look into it one time.
There Craftsmenship was limited for the Price/Quality.

Where there was the Quality and Craftsmenship.
They wanted about the same Price as the Manufactured Scoop.

How is the Screen for sifting the Wet and Dry Sand?
That Mesh looks sturdier than the Square Screen.

I did look into it one time.
There Craftsmenship was limited for the Price/Quality.

Where there was the Quality and Craftsmenship.
They wanted about the same Price as the Manufactured Scoop.

How is the Screen for sifting the Wet and Dry Sand?
That Mesh looks sturdier than the Square Screen.

This mesh is known as expanded mesh, I'm very satisfied with this kind of mesh, the dry sand flows down very quickly (like most scoop does :) ) the only problem with it is that this mesh NEEDS reinforcement. Being light it can bend easly while digging and using foot ( sad that I did not find any made of stainless steel here or you need to find thicker ones ). I gave it a try in the wet sand, its was also easy to get the wet sand out of it but the only problem was that even if this mesh was metal galvanized it would rust very easly.
If you want a cheap sand scoop that you would use on dry sand you can work one out of this mesh (Its easier to find in most hardware stores than the square mesh that are used in most scoops)
What I really think is if I could have made this scoop with expanded stainless steel mesh I would give it 10/10 for now its just 6/10 but I'm very satisfied with the good job it makes :)

Hem, will a dime fit through the mesh? I can't tell the size from the picture. I've made scoops with holes and they work great in dry sand or in the water. The scoops with mesh are too light for digging under water or in the rocks. Mesh is the only way to go for damp sand, otherwise it takes too much shaking to get the damp sand through the holes.

Rob

HI rcasi44, I don't know exactly what is the size of a Dime but our 20 Mauritian cent http://worldcoingallery.com/countri...-53&desc=Mauritius km53 20 Cents (1987+)which is the smallest of all the coins and remains in the scoop even when I give the hardest shake. It has also been a problem when I made my first scoop, not enough holes and the sand won't come out, too much holes or too big and I'll lose those small coins... The expande mesh is a 20mm x 10mm. Its a good material to work with, easy to find, and its not spot welded as the traditional square mesh, the only problem is that it rust in water, after making some wed search I saw that some manufacturers made stainless ones.

Back
Top Bottom