Whizzer in the Woods...

DoctorWhy

Today I visited a cellar hole at a home site that goes back to the late-1700's. Had a great hunt finding a 1912 "V" nickle, a copper spoon, a brass shoe buckle frame (with fancy design)...and this 'Whizzer'. For me, it was today's best find; a 28mm diameter, approx. 1mm thick copper coin with two holes pierced, probably using a square nail. The 'Whizzer' was found in the woods about 100' from the cellar hole. Finding a piece of history that was 'modified', presumably by a parent, as a toy for a child gives the artifact special meaning.

Not much detail on the coin. The only hint of what it might be is the horizontal line on the lower portion of one side of the coin. "Denticles" (small, tooth-like design elements all the way around the perimeter a coins) can be seen around the circumference of that side. On the opposite side of the coin, some "Denticles" are visible, and I think I make out a letter or two, possibly an "O" near the '3-O'clock' edge of the right image.

Anyone have any idea of what this 'toasted' coin might be? I'm guessing Colonial era British...

Attachments

• Whizzer_sm.jpg
    Whizzer_sm.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 423
Whizzer in the woods means something entirely different to me, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might be a toy, where you put a thread through, wind it up and keep it spinning. I've also found some of them

Almost certain its a KG. In your left photo, the right hole pierces the shield of seated Britannia, and I believe I see a '7' under the line so its either a KG II or III - hard to tell which way the bust is facing on the obverse.

Yes, most likely a whizzer but also remember that coppers were hammered to ships masts for good luck, as well as inside doors of home and barns... sometimes even hammered to barrelheads... For a two holer though, whizzer is probably a safe bet. Would spend more time in those woods!

Almost certain its a KG. In your left photo, the right hole pierces the shield of seated Britannia, and I believe I see a '7' under the line so its either a KG II or III - hard to tell which way the bust is facing on the obverse.

BB,
Thanks for that assessment. It was what I was thinking. The horizontal line in the lower portion of the left image is about where I expected the dividing line between the date (below) and Britania(above). For me, the possibility that this artifact was once a kid's play-toy is its true cultural value.
Cheers,
--Bert

Back
Top Bottom