Some more modifications to a Wizard pinpointer

kenbo

The Wizards on Amazon.com are so cheap ($10.99) that there is not much worry of screwing one up. Bought several for woodworking and to see what could be done to change one for MDing.

Added some tubing and moved the coil out to the end of same so it can be poked into a small hole. Probe end is now 8 ?? long. Thinking of modifying one so probe end is 36? long with goal of having a 100% stand up metal detecting operation :D

Easy change was to rewire the sensitivity pot so now when unit is turned on with the sensitivity control, lights and beeper are off until the knob is adjusted to the threshold point.

Last I added a momentary pushbutton power switch so unit cannot be accidentally left on and sensitivity setting does not to be readjusted each time. Made a mark on the knob so normal position can be visually checked. Original power switch will still turn unit off.

Got a picture?

How well does the rotated coil perform now? Have you tried it out yet?

Got a picture?

How well does the rotated coil perform now? Have you tried it out yet?

Comparing it to a unmodified Wizard, I could tell no appreciable sensitivity difference. Pipe used was 1/2" CPVC which is smaller than 1/2" PVC. Used a 1/2" drill to slightly enlarge inside diameter for coil fit. Cut away about 40% of the part of the pipe attached down the back of the case and used silicone rubber to attach. Hole was drilled in pipe for original case back screw clearance and a short piece of small tubing was installed to prevent silicone rubber from obstructing the hole. Also a piece of hard plastic was embedded in the silicone rubber for reinforcement through the pipe cutaway transition.
Original coil wire is #32 enamel wire but had and used some #28 enamel wire to extend wires with apparently no degradation in sensitivity.

Attachments

• 23Aug07 007b.jpg
    23Aug07 007b.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,077
Do you have a wiring diagram for your Mod? How did you wire the Sens pot. I am familar with electronics. And any more mod info.

Attached is picture of the pot modification on a Wizard alongside an unmodified one. Cut circuit trace where noted, scrape green covering off of the trace where the left end of wire will go and and solder in wire being sure to jump over the trace to the center pot connection.

Working on other modifications and will post if they work out.

Attachments

• Wizard pot mod.jpg
    Wizard pot mod.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 950
Thanks,
Will look forward to more pictures and build info. I ordered a Little Wizard on Ebay a few days ago. If anyone is looking for one, just search Ebay for "little wizard" the seller had about 5 more left. $16.99 including Priority shipping.

That mod on the pot looks like it would just change direction that the Sensitivity control would turn. ie clockwise to counter-clockwise. I don't see how it would affect anything else. :?:

Back
Top Bottom