Looks like a bullet...but I don't think it is one

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
A hair less than 2.25 inches long, heavy, the case is brass and the bullet on top is lead...but I don't think it is a real piece of ammunition at all.
It has a mark C on it but nothing else.
The bottom is one piece, the little center area with the C on it is where the primer is supposed to be there is an indentation but no actual primer...it is just part of that solid brass casing or it looks like that to me.
I scratched the dirt off that primer area and that is brass too.
I have dug tons of bullets, the primers always looked like separate pieces and different than this one.
I researched and found three companies that marked their ammo with a C this way, one American and two foreign.

So is it a real bullet, is there a primer underneath that C built in, is it a souvenir of some kind and if it was what would be the point?
I probably need to get some pliers and pull the top off and see if there is gunpowder in there I suppose but I will throw it out there to you guys...maybe someone more knowledgeable than I has seen this before.

What say ye?

Attachments

• user10659_pic75658_1496935941.jpg
    user10659_pic75658_1496935941.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 274
  • user10659_pic75659_1496935941.jpg
    user10659_pic75659_1496935941.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 265
Looks like an old rim fire cartridge. That's why there is no center primer. A few more measurements would help identify it. Diameter of the bullet, diameter of the bottom of the case, length of the casing, etc.

Cliff

Hey, thanks all!
Don't know about bullets much, a rim fire cartridge never came to mind.
From what I can find this is sort of a rarer one.

Unusual thing to find in a park here in Alabama.

I've found a few. I looked after seeing this thread and I have some in my finds hoard that are unmarked, one with a "C" and one with a "F"

Hey, thanks all!
Don't know about bullets much, a rim fire cartridge never came to mind.
From what I can find this is sort of a rarer one.

Unusual thing to find in a park here in Alabama.

There were thousands of these rifles and ammunition sold on the private market once the military decided they were obsolete. Quite a few were modified into inexpensive 'farm' guns. That said, it is definitely an uncommon find.

There were thousands of these rifles and ammunition sold on the private market once the military decided they were obsolete. Quite a few were modified into inexpensive 'farm' guns. That said, it is definitely an uncommon find.

From what I am reading these might actually be pre World War I... Not too much later than the 20s at the most.

Back
Top Bottom