Old power insulators

amc rulz

Forum Supporter
Porcelain insulators found recently in the woods on an old downed power pole. There were more left. I have many other smaller glass ones and some a century old I’ve collected over the years. Great garden ornaments!

Attachments

• 7B37B446-1D79-4E64-BA12-6BF9C44E5676.jpeg
    7B37B446-1D79-4E64-BA12-6BF9C44E5676.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 769
I see those fairly often along roads where they removed/replaced poles, but as I have no real interest, I left 'em. I do like the smaller ceramics with the dates glazed on 'em.

I have over two dozen glass insulators. Walk the R/R tracks. Look for Thomas A Edison battery oils, bottles. They’re cool!

I have over two dozen glass insulators. Walk the R/R tracks. Look for Thomas A Edison battery oils, bottles. They’re cool!

I have never seen those bottles before. They are very cool looking. Might have to go hunting along the tracks in the fall when I can actually see the ground again.

I have never seen those bottles before. They are very cool looking. Might have to go hunting along the tracks in the fall when I can actually see the ground again.

Here's one of the smaller Edison Battery Oil bottles I have. Somewhere I also have one marked Nat'l. Carbon Co. (Union Carbide Co.) and a Waterbury Oil. These were made for years; I have found them as late as the 1980s along RR tracks. I think these were used to fill the RR signal lights (battery powered).

Attachments

• edison 1.jpg
    edison 1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 396
  • edison 2.jpg
    edison 2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
This is the older larger Edison Oil bottle that exists. I have not ever found one of these along RR tracks.

Attachments

• edison 3.jpg
    edison 3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 390
  • edison 4.jpg
    edison 4.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 430
Nice examples GH!

I always thought the oil was for the electric inter-urban that ran cross country here, but I don’t know much about that “train”.

Nice examples GH!

I always thought the oil was for the electric inter-urban that ran cross country here, but I don’t know much about that “train”.

They also may have used the oil along their lines, IDK. I have found these bottles on other lines as well.

The only surviving part of that Electric Inter-Urban railway still runs through our city (from South Bend to Chicago) and is about to undertake a major upgrade that will demolish over 70 structures and close off 17 streets. :no:

Attachments

• interurban map.jpg
    interurban map.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 358
  • SoShore Line.jpg
    SoShore Line.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom