Is there any hope for this 2 cent piece

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
Went out this morning very early to hunt a side walk tear out downtown. I never dreamed i would find what i did. The very first signal i dug was this 2 cent piece. I believe the date is 1867 but i cannot be 100% sure.
It is very brittle, and i am not sure if i can save this. I soaked it in soapy water, used a toothbrush with baking soda, and finally resorted to a hot peroxide bath. I was trying to scrape some of the crud off the reverse with my nail and part of the coin just fell off.
The detail underneath is gorgeous, does anyone have a sugestion to save this coin. I fear it is beyond help. Of course I'll keep it but i would really like to see what i can do to clean it and preserve it for many years to come.

Attachments

• Obv-2.jpg
    Obv-2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 967
  • Rev-1.jpg
    Rev-1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 974
  • Obv-3.jpg
    Obv-3.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 959
Leave it as is, you're only going to make it worse.

That was my thought as well. I'm afraid even soaking it in olive oil will hurt it because of how easily it flakes off. Is there a way to preserve it from getting worse? I was going to just put it in a cardboard 2X2 and leave it alone unless someone has a miracle cure.
It may be ugly, but it's my baby and i Love it. :)

That was my thought as well. I'm afraid even soaking it in olive oil will hurt it because of how easily it flakes off. Is there a way to preserve it from getting worse? I was going to just put it in a cardboard 2X2 and leave it alone unless someone has a miracle cure.
It may be ugly, but it's my baby and i Love it. :)

Put in a 2x2 and forget about it. Things can only go downhill if you try to fool with it further. I've ruined some coins that looked like yours by cleaning them.

It gives it character... slab that baby in the 2x2 and start telling everyone about all the adventures that coin has been on and what it has seen!! ;)

Put in a 2x2 and forget about it. Things can only go downhill if you try to fool with it further. I've ruined some coins that looked like yours by cleaning them.
I agree. It's an awesome find, and i'll leave it as is. The last thing i want to do is destroy the only 2 center i may ever find. :)

Wow, if you gotta find one coin on a sidewalk tearout, that's a good one to find! Congrats on that and way to sieze the opportunity on the tearout. You just never know so it pays to hit those sidewalk construction projects. Keep hitting them as they tear them up, that's an old part of town.

It must have been hit by some salt/ chemicals or something .
Most of the time the 2 center holds up pretty well.
I think i would leave it.
When you find a better one you can experiment with this one.

It's actually quite beautiful with all the different colors it's got going on. I agree that anything you do to it is going to end badly.

I always thought that being under a sidewalk would protect it some. :?:

Attachments

• 2-cent.jpg
    2-cent.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 813
i agree leave it as is as to protecting it if you r concerned about britleness...befor putting it in a 2x2 or a hard coin shell...if you are ok with the idea spray each side lightly with a crystle clear acrilic from a craft store...yes it may make it glossy but it will creat a mini shell around the coin also bonding the surface from scratches and more chiping...also should creat a moisture and air sheild around the coin

It has got desease and if you leave it it will get worse as time goes on.Take it to someone who knows how to treat it,,dont do it yourself

I would leave it alone--it does have a lot of character . When we first started my husband found a 1903 large Canadian cent. I was able to wash it off to get all the detail but then decided it would look "better" if I used copper cleaner--Wrong--now you can hardly see the detail and the smooth dark patina of course it gone and we are left with a very rough coin. I'm hoping that it will oxidize again and that wonderful patina will come back :no:

Back
Top Bottom