Cob found in corn field

Thanks. I had it for about 6 months before i found out what it was. It's a big farm that is producing a lot of different finds.

Tin_Can ..

I'll post more pictures by this weekend.

Adam24..

The Cob is very worn, not bent. Click on the first link in the 5th post above for more info on Cobs.

wow nice find ! Now I'm wondering how this ended up in a cornfield in CT !!

Let me know if you want some company digging that cornfield! I'll drive down and meet you anytime!

As a note of related interest, I read something years ago in a detecting mag about Spanish Cobs being thrown away by metal detectorists. It seems as they were being found by some novice hunters at Florida and Island beaches they were being cast back into the sea. Because of the odd shapes and being encrusted with sand and probably barnicles, they were simply dismissed as trash, even though they rang up in the high numbers. They were given the flip back into the briney sea "spoosh" for some more seasoned "MDer" to find later.....Gil

That's right . You may have read that in the book "Hurricane Treasure" . I believe it was Kip Wagner { Mel Fisher's nephew} who would find these flat "stones" all over the beach and skip them back into the ocean,thinking they were rocks.After a friend of his identified these as spanish coins they then began searching for the nearby wrecks from the 1715 fleet via a surfboard!

Back
Top Bottom