I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT...THE 2ND ONE OF THE YEAR

COINSHOOTER2

I was hunting in a side yard of an apartment building that I got permission to do. The building is from the 30's. I got a signal that was breaking up so it was an iffy signal but it also sounded good. I pinpointed it at 7 inches. Dug a nice plug and checked the plug nothing there so I checked the hole and nothing. I dug some more out of the hole and checked the pile and got a bad broken up signal . I found the coin and rubbed it a little and saw what looked like the back of a buffalo nickel. I put the coin in the pouch and began to hunt again.
On the way home I pulled over to see if there might be a date on the buffalo.
Boy was I surprised to see the 2 cents on the coin. I knew I didn't find a Buffalo.
What I did know from that was that I just found my 2nd BELGIUM 2 CENT'S COIN FOR THE YEAR. ( in Park Ridge, ILLINOIS )
I just couldn't believe it.......................
When I got home I rubbed were the date is and saw that it was from 1912....
I could see that this coin has an indentation in the center.
The first one was 1833. I'll put a pic of this 1 after the 1912.

You never know what you are going to dig.
I am not 1 to dig too many iffy signals but I do from time to time.
I know that I have probably passed up a lot of good things by not digging them.

Attachments

• belgium coin # 2 001.jpg
    belgium coin # 2 001.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,051
  • belgium coin # 2 003.jpg
    belgium coin # 2 003.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3,064
CLEANED

Attachments

• belgium coin # 2 005.jpg
    belgium coin # 2 005.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 3,059
  • belgium coin # 2 008.jpg
    belgium coin # 2 008.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 3,011
HERES THE 1833

Attachments

• 7-23-06 1833 2cent find 003.jpg
    7-23-06 1833 2cent find 003.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2,992
  • 7-23-06 1833 2cent find 005.jpg
    7-23-06 1833 2cent find 005.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2,977
Very pretty coins! Your 1833 one is in better shape than the 1912. :yes:

Scavenger said:
Really pretty coins. You might want to research the areas history.
The towns of Des Plaines and Park Ridge date back to the 1840's Both old railroad towns now they are suburban Chicago Homes range from the late 1890's thru today. Many older homes being replaced which is prime M D spots . Not much research to do cause I mainly do tear downs with great success.

Now that is what I'm talking about! ;) Those are nice finds. Coins like those will almost make you wanna swing on a rainy day. :duh:

Now those are some really cool finds!  I'm sure you'll be hitting that area again :grin:   Were the two coins found in different places?  That would really be strange.  I have to say you did one heck of a job cleaning those up.  VERY nice!

Man, that's why I love MD'ing 'cause you just never know what you're going to dig up.  At the beach this summer I hit these two:
A '41 Merc that had been buried in the wet sand for quite a while.  I'll clean it up this winter.
of=50,539,443

and this 1894 Haitian 2cent piece (obviously worn around someone's neck) Last place I expect to find my oldest coin :grin:
of=50,473,443

Comps on the find. On a weird signal like that, I probably would have given up or not dug at all thinking it was trash. Great work!

My dad is from Des Plaines and I was born in Parkridge, though have never been back since we moved to AZ in '70. He and I were on the phone Sunday checking out the satellite views of Des Plaines with Google maps and he "walked" me through his old haunts. Interesting coincidence.
Ah ha! I was just looking at Google maps, and remember my dad saying he and I were both born at Lutheran General Hospital on Dempsey, and Dempsey was the boundry between Park Ridge and Des Plaines.
The house he grew up in was the 4th house north of Ballard Rd. on Western Ave. I think he said he was 2 when they moved there, which puts the year built at '38.
Ain't technology grand?

Awesome find! How are you guys cleaning these coins? I found a flying eagle penny (1858) and if it's the small print, there were only 200 made! I can't see the print well enough to determine if it's the small or large print. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom