1837 seated dime value

danielboon

Wondering the worth of this dime I dug it came out in really nice condition it has 2 nicks on the edge, wondering if its worth getting graded I got a offer from the coin shop for 80. Bucks tempted but I passed thanks for your input

Attachments

• 20141219_200819-1.jpg
    20141219_200819-1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 866
  • 20141219_200951-1.jpg
    20141219_200951-1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 885
That is a beautiful 1st year Seated Dime. I dug the same year but mine is in VG
grade. At least an XF for you and also worth about $550, figuring with the scratches on the edge maybe half that but no less that 200 bucks. Tell your dealer to cough it up 80 dollars you better find a new coin shop that will give you at least 200 and that is bottom dollar even, but I guess they have to make a living to that guy you went to seems like he wants a retirement plan:laughing: I am a coin dealer by the way so if I could sell it I would buy in that range I told you. I'm not just some guy talking make sure that you know what you have before you walk in those places. I wouldn't take less than $200 your getting raped if you do.

I'm not a rare coin investment professional, but I play one on the internet. The gouges on that piece, and environmental damage of course knock the price way down.
Congrats on the find, that's a keeper in my book. No way would I sell, unless I was broke -

Great find! A third party grading company won't grade that coin due to the damage and very few dug coins in general get graded as well.

I don't think $80 from a dealer is a horrible offer, (don't forget he has to resell to make a profit) remember it is damaged and dug coins usually have quite a few scratches when magnified, however, I think you can get more for it on eBay and the like. However, I don't think it's worth anywhere near $550. Good luck.

Congrats on such an awesome coin!

What type of area did you find it in, if you don't mind (park, curb strip, etc)?

Would love to find anything near as old someday!

It was found under a large oak tree in a area that was one time a large Mexican land grant for the Castro family the area had a old farm house that dated to the late 1890s but I've found a few barber quarter's and barber dimes from that era as the site was turned into a park older stuff was found round balls and buttons from what I assume a older era I also found a beautiful 3 cent coin it was a awesome site until it was dozed and the strata was mixed with modern trash these coins both were about 9-10 -inches deep

Attachments

• 20141222_212953-1.jpg
    20141222_212953-1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 730
  • 20141222_213007-1.jpg
    20141222_213007-1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 721
That's a beautiful seated dime. I think that's the large date variety. I would grade that at a XF. It would sell for a huge premium because the patina is original and seems not to be cleaned which is scarce.

1837 dime offer

Hey I love that 1837 seated dime you posted on a thread. I'll make you an offer of $300 on it if you want. Would you take that?

That is a beautiful 1st year Seated Dime. I dug the same year but mine is in VG
grade. At least an XF for you and also worth about $550, figuring with the scratches on the edge maybe half that but no less that 200 bucks. Tell your dealer to cough it up 80 dollars you better find a new coin shop that will give you at least 200 and that is bottom dollar even, but I guess they have to make a living to that guy you went to seems like he wants a retirement plan:laughing: I am a coin dealer by the way so if I could sell it I would buy in that range I told you. I'm not just some guy talking make sure that you know what you have before you walk in those places. I wouldn't take less than $200 your getting raped if you do.

I agree with Delcojohn. I think that this coin is at least an EF(extremely fine)-40, and as such, the Official Red Book lists its value at between $500-525. The nicks reduce it value but I couldn't guess how much. Still, eighty bucks is a rip-off- sounds like the dealer is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Of course, you're never going to get top dollar from a dealer, which is why selling to private collectors is usually better.

I agree with Delcojohn. I think that this coin is at least an EF(extremely fine)-40, and as such, the Official Red Book lists its value at between $500-525. The nicks reduce it value but I couldn't guess how much. Still, eighty bucks is a rip-off- sounds like the dealer is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Of course, you're never going to get top dollar from a dealer, which is why selling to private collectors is usually better.

Red Book prices are generally pretty high and are priced at the time of printing. Since coin prices fluctuate, that can make the price inaccurate later on. Secondly dealers usually use The Grey Sheet to price coins. No one in the coin world uses Red Book for prices. Plus this coin is damaged.

Secondly, we are only looking at a blurry and unmagnified coin. Under magnification I would bet there are quite a few scratches on the coin. Most dug coins have them. Then you have 2 or more very deep rim gouges. The dealer is buying at $80 and will probably ask $150 and take a little less. I would hardly call that pulling the wool over someone's eyes.

I also don't know how a dealer can look at these pictures, one being very blurry and attempt to give an accurate price or say what he would pay. You always need to see a coin in hand or at the very least have much better high res pictures.

Check the sold listings for that coin on ebay. That is a pretty good indication on what people are paying for coins. If you really want to see acurate coin prices, subscribe to The Grey Sheet. Stop looking in Red Book and PCGS and NGC online prices. Unless the coin is graded by one of these 3rd party graders, the coin is not going to bring anywhere near those prices they have listed. (Generally. There are always exceptions. This coin is not one of them)

Similar coins:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1837-No-Sta...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 - Sold for $127.50

A better condition coin than the one here. Sold for $189. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1837-Seated...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Another similar coin sold for $153.73. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1837-SEATED...69?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item54184cd921

I think you get the idea.

You are right about the Red Book prices being generally high, as it is contributed to by dealers who want to drive the prices up. That's why I only use it for getting ballpark figures. Like you said, the prices change everyday and it is nearly impossible to grade coins from pics. I agreed with Delcojohn's figure of the value of this coin being closer to $200 in its condition, NOT the Red Book price of $500. I still think $80 is a bit low of an offer, and, as the sales on eBay show, you can make more selling privately than to a dealer.

You are right about the Red Book prices being generally high, as it is contributed to by dealers who want to drive the prices up. That's why I only use it for getting ballpark figures. Like you said, the prices change everyday and it is nearly impossible to grade coins from pics. I agreed with Delcojohn's figure of the value of this coin being closer to $200 in its condition, NOT the Red Book price of $500. I still think $80 is a bit low of an offer, and, as the sales on eBay show, you can make more selling privately than to a dealer.

Absolutely you will get more for your coin selling privately than selling to a dealer. A dealer isn't paying retail.

Back
Top Bottom