Pulled Civil War Bullets & Sword Hanger

Digger70pa

Forum Supporter
Went out today with my buddy Digginfreek to the spot we've been hunting lately. Stuff is stating to thin out a little, but did get some keepers. Most of the bullets we are finding are pulled. I did find some brass. A busted sword hanger & a button with ok around a eight pointed star. Hunting field time is almost over. HH

Attachments

• HHFV 004.jpg
    HHFV 004.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,136
  • HHFV 007.jpg
    HHFV 007.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,103
  • HHFV 008.jpg
    HHFV 008.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 912
  • HHFV 010.jpg
    HHFV 010.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 997
  • HHFV 011.jpg
    HHFV 011.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 933
  • HHFV 012.jpg
    HHFV 012.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,129
  • HHFV 013.jpg
    HHFV 013.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 925
  • HHFV 015.jpg
    HHFV 015.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
Very nice finds. I have to go through my stuff later. I found one of those hangers last year and i thought it was just junk.

Great finds! But are you sure its a sword hanger? I think it may be horse tack, often referred to as a gag loop (although I'm not sure if that's the correct term, seems to be some debate about that) or a type of rein guide. Cool period find either way.

That button is fascinating! I hope you find out more about it, and please update when you do!

Nice digs. Man I wish I could get out today, the weather is amazing here. I'll look up that button in my book for you this evening. If its CW I'll find it.

Great finds! But are you sure its a sword hanger? I think it may be horse tack, often referred to as a gag loop (although I'm not sure if that's the correct term, seems to be some debate about that) or a type of rein guide.

Gtoast is correct the "sword hanger" is a Gagloop or called a swivel loop and is considered part of horse harness tack

Attachments

• horse harness page.jpg
    horse harness page.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,360
  • horse gag loops.jpg
    horse gag loops.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 741
Hey, I'm not having much luck on the button. I've searched all US militia button in Tice's book, from 1776-1865. There are no entries for Oklahoma buttons in the book. It could be post war, but I'm thinking it's something special whatever it is. I'm gonna keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom