My Best Find to date - Gold Hammered Coin

foolsgold

I'm new to the forum but thought I'd share with you my best find to date. It isn't the oldest find I've found however it is my favourite.

I was detecting by an old church - dating back to about 900AD. However I have also found Celtic and Roman on the site.

I can remember the day as if it was yesterday. In fact it was about 6 years ago. It was a roasting hot day and I'd invited some friends to come and detect with me (kind guy that I am :D ). I'd been detecting for about 3 hours when I got a fanatastic signal with my fisher. Next thing I am holding a fantastic gold hammered coin from Edward 111.

Bearing in mind it had been in the ground for around 600 and odd years it was in perfect condition. I believe it was minted in Calais in France.

I've got a photo on my site if you want a peak
http://detecting.merseyblogs.co.uk/2005/11/my_favourite_fi.html

Regards
foolsgold

WOW. I think my heart would stop if i found something like that man. How deep was it?

Thanks guys for all the kind comments. Will certainly keep popping in here to see what is being found.

Good Luck all.

Steve

Way to go, Steve, and welcome to the forum.

That is quite a beautiful coin. Did you get to keep it or is it in the museum now?

I found one of these last year.

Did you record with the BNJ (Editor at the Fitzwilliam Museum)?

They record about 10 a year & there stats are published in the thick volumed BNJ.

10 times the amount aren't recorded so roughly 100 are found a year. RARE find well done.

I found one of these last year.

Did you record with the BNJ (Editor at the Fitzwilliam Museum)?

They record about 10 a year & there stats are published in the thick volumed BNJ.

10 times the amount aren't recorded so roughly 100 are found a year. RARE find well done.

It wasn't recorded. Under the volunatry act in the UK singular coin finds do not need to be recorded - although I have recorded items with them in the past.

Foolsgold

Back
Top Bottom