Would love to have some opinions

Pioneer

Currently hunt with a AT Pro and have been saving for a new detector. I have $1000.00 budget.
I don't know if I want to get a Max or go with a different manufacturer. I don't really care about water proof (no water or beach hunting) and mostly coin and relic hunt. I want something rugged as I do a lot of hunts in thick woods in Minnesota.
Please give me your expert thoughts.

Can get a used full package XP Deus in that price range or a Deus Lite brand new. Either is a big step up from the AT Pro.

Well, since you are up in MN, you have all sorts of time to watch Youtube vids of different rigs to get an idea of one would suit you......I do like a rig with a lot of tone features...thats why I consider my F70 as the perfect one to measure all others against...they call it a 'Patriot' now...

I know of some places up N and West of Red Lake where old school houses used to be, old cedar dovetail construction...Man, I'd like to make a run through there again someday with my detecting gear! I was just a farm hand, gravedigger, and beaver trapper, heck, was a wild rice harvester even, poling a canoe through the paddy!... eelpouter, sucker spearer, woodcutter.....

I was all over that area by Fosston and over to Bemidji trying to eek out a meager living...so I know that area pretty damn good...dismantled a few of those old school houses just so the farmer could plow that section...Farmer just wanted them gone...no visible trace left...stack the cedar over by the woodpile...

Man..some really old dirt up there...weird abandoned houses/communities way out in the swamps around Grygla/Northhome back from the Indian wars when people just up and took off in a hurry..skirmish sites etc...damn hard to get to though...I doubt these places have ever seen a coil...

Its quite a read about those old MN Indian wars..that alone would keep you occupied all Winter just doing research...

MN has some hella history going on...maybe even Viking...if the Kensington runestone is valid...I'd love to go hunt ancient Northern MN dirt with a detector..its a whole 'nother World up there...surreal... Moose, Bear, Wolves, Mosquitoes, Swedes, Finns, Norwegians, the smell of peat bog fires smoldering......unlike anywhere else a guy would want to live let alone try to hunt, except for a trapper.....

Last edited:
Can get a used full package XP Deus in that price range or a Deus Lite brand new. Either is a big step up from the AT Pro.

I will agree, My pro decorates the corner of my bedroom. I get the same depth as the pro with a storm coil running pro zero but with an ultra light 9 inch coil that never calls deep non ferrous targets iron. The deus also rocks in nails when running a program like "hot" or many other trash programs. I regularly pull multiple ferrous items from a hole before finding the non ferrous target I knew I heard. Having said this be aware that the deus speaks much different than a pro but when you learn it....shazam!:lol:

What I see here as the bump in the road is that while the detectors suggested so far are all good, they are a big transition from the stability of the AT Pro. Other than the MAX of course. The AT Pro is a very stable what I call yes/no type detector. It is pretty silent until it gets something under the coil. The Deus, F70, Not sure on the Tesoro other than I believe it is a beep-N-dig detector. All of these will have a good learning curve. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you just need to be aware

Personally I'm a Deus fan. If you're gonna go, go big.

imo if Iwas gonna upgrade from a pro it would not be to a max not really a upgrade imo . Yes the max is deeper and has those little features garrett added but the tones on that is horrible imo.. almost feels like the same detector as a gold ,wait a minute it is ....... Deus all the way but you will have to do your homework .I started with a at pro and those nel coils.. tornado and attack and found some good stuff but when I look back now after learning the deus best decision I ever made in detecting is upgrading.

Currently hunt with a AT Pro and have been saving for a new detector. I have $1000.00 budget.

I don't know if I want to get a Max or go with a different manufacturer. I don't really care about water proof (no water or beach hunting) and mostly coin and relic hunt. I want something rugged as I do a lot of hunts in thick woods in Minnesota.

Please give me your expert thoughts.

Used Deus package all day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe wait and get a equinox. Debate is on as to how good of a detector it will be but if it near as good as the hype, it may be the right choice and leave you a few bucks left over.

Back
Top Bottom