Tesoro Outlaw Problem with Iron

IdxProNewbie

Ok...so I just recieved my new Outlaw Monday. This is my first manual ground balance machine. Now, I know this may take some time to get used to it, but it's not brain surgery. I have even tried Monte's Power Balancing and I must admit that the depth is pretty darn good!!! So now, onto my problem:

I hate to say it, but.....this thing is driving me crazyin the iron!!!! That's with 5.75" coil too!! Let me explain. I have been hunting this section of woods behind my work for the last year off and on. I have found lots of indians, headstamps, and a 1729 kg. The iron is pretty rough going, but with my f2 or the idx, i can loose the square nails no problem. The outlaw, well it won't shut up no matter what i do!! I can retune, I can turn the sens down, I can crank the disc, nothing matters. Am I missing something? I know the disc works because i can disc out foil, tabs, nickels, and right up the line. But the iron just makes it go nuts. I decided to try this one area in the woods about 15' x 20' that has alot of square nails. Keep in mind, I have picked 2 indians from this exact spot with the f2 and one indian with the idx amongst all of the iron. I can run the f2 just notching iron and she is quite as can be. I can disc the idx to the foil range and she too is dead quite. The Outlaw sounds off the whole time with min sens and full disc but won't sound off on a nickel!! What a complete let down! I hope someone has some answers. I'm hoping it's just me, but I don't think so. I wish I could just get my money back now....Bummed!!!

Get some new iron nails and make sure the detector isn't defective. If you can disc them out it is fine.

If it is working fine then this is most likely iron falsing. When iron rusts and breaks down in creates a matrix in the soil (cloud) with a different conductivity than iron. I dig rusty old iron nails reading solid 14-47 (silver dimes) on my E-Trac all day in some spots.

You want to hear this, because that means you are also hearing about good targets next to iron. Some detectors are much better at telling you if it is a solid signal.

With Tesoros the sounds should be a good smooth bell-curve tone. If it breaks or scratches at all, you have an iffy target like rusty iron.

I would hunt down 53Silver he is the expert on the Outlaw. Go to Findmall hit up the Tesoro section and you will find him he will have the answers for ya for sure!! nobody better than him and his video's.

We are waiting for you to either Call Tesoro 1-928-771-2646 or your dealer, and talk to them about your settings and experience. What the heck can we tell you?

This is a new machine, and nobody knows it better than Robert Martensen, or Vince Gifford. Call them. :cool:

We are waiting for you to either Call Tesoro 1-928-771-2646 or your dealer, and talk to them about your settings and experience. What the heck can we tell you?

This is a new machine, and nobody knows it better than Robert Martensen, or Vince Gifford. Call them. :cool:

Just the type of reply I expected from you Terry...a smart remark...I posted in the all about detectors section for advice, suggestions, thoughts, experiences, etc.. I didn't need to come here for tesoros number thats for sure.

excellent

I would hunt down 53Silver he is the expert on the Outlaw. Go to Findmall hit up the Tesoro section and you will find him he will have the answers for ya for sure!! nobody better than him and his video's.[/QUOTE:laughing:

Now thats what its all about. I never new this forum existed. I just 15 min checking it out and there is some freat info on the outlaw. I just had pop back here to say thank you Mike.....]

Just the type of reply I expected from you Terry...a smart remark...I posted in the all about detectors section for advice, suggestions, thoughts, experiences, etc.. I didn't need to come here for tesoros number thats for sure.
Don't mind Terry, he's from New York :roll::laughing::laughing::laughing:.

..I didn't need to come here for tesoros number thats for sure.

I guess that is my entire point. :laughing:

Don't hate me because you can't figure out how to read a manual or call a customer service help line, hate me because I'm so darn good looking! :p

Seriously, you praise one member for sending you off to a forum to get more second-hand advice, but get upset with me for telling you to call an expert? :?:

Wow, guess I won't sleep again tonight.. ;)

I guess that is my entire point. :laughing:

Don't hate me because you can't figure out how to read a manual or call a customer service help line, hate me because I'm so darn good looking! :p

Seriously, you praise one member for sending you off to a forum to get more second-hand advice, but get upset with me for telling you to call an expert? :?:

Wow, guess I won't sleep again tonight.. ;)
Good looks sometimes intimidate the rest of us ugly ducklings.:laughing:

Calling Tesoro for help in my experience is about 50/50, getting advice from someone who uses the machine almost daily (53Silver) 100% accurate. I know it sounds silly but Tesoro had me pack up my machine, which I did for shipping it back to them only to get the right answer form Silver regarding my GB issue...had to be reset then everything was dead on. Nothing against Tesoro but because you own/repair the machine might not make you the expert on using them...should be tho you would think!

No knocking Tesoro would buy another machine in a heartbeat...still looking for a used compadre!

Calling Tesoro for help in my experience is about 50/50, getting advice from someone who uses the machine almost daily (53Silver) 100% accurate. I know it sounds silly but Tesoro had me pack up my machine, which I did for shipping it back to them only to get the right answer form Silver regarding my GB issue...had to be reset then everything was dead on. Nothing against Tesoro but because you own/repair the machine might not make you the expert on using them...should be tho you would think!

No knocking Tesoro would buy another machine in a heartbeat...still looking for a used compadre!

For the record Mike, I think you gave the OP GREAT advice. :thumbsup: I just don't like telling folks they are experiencing "user error" anymore because I catch the hot cooking oil either way. :laughing:

Ya Terry in MOST cases it is user error. As for me and my Outlaw it was user error on my end. 53 I like to pick on units like the ones I have owned ....he takes pride in teaching/training on all tesoro's. Thanks again Terry...your advice was nothing but perfect...Tesoro management and employees are a super team to work with.

Tried The DD coil

So today I spent my lunch break back at the iron infested hole in the woods. This time, I brought the 10x12 DD. Found me a clean spot to Balance and off I went. The results in that 10' x 10' infested area? The spot i've hit with the
f2 and idx numerous times? The spot where the Outlaw went nuts with the 5.75" coil? AMAZING!! No chatter....Very stable in the iron....What did I find? Two Buttons! Both were very small, just smaller than a Dime. One was in a hole I with square nails all around and what looked like barbed wire. Very impressed with this coil in the iron. More to come....

It's funny that all the detector brands claim that you can notch out iron but my experience has been that you can't. Tack nails and bent nails and rusty nails and u-nails and big iron and even iron dust all give constant high tone chirps. The signal is dirty and chattery and broken but it's always there. My AT Pro acts just like your Outlaw -it won't ever shut up.

But it has no problem ignoring gold if you notch that out. No problem at all

wow a blast from the past...was neat reading a old thread. And years later I will still say Tesoro is a great company and nailed it with the Mojave.

Some posts never really go out of date. When I posted to it, I had no idea it was from 2012. It might as well be today. I'm interested in getting a Tesoro of some kind and I've been reading posts about them. I would love to get a Golden uMax because it's multi-tone and it has the notch width adjustments but I'll probably either end up getting a Vaquero or something older that I could modify to suit my needs. Heck, a person could modify the basic compadre into a fully adjustable machine without much trouble.

Yup an old post, but didn't read if the problem was corrected.
I picked up an Outlaw recently and if you used the 3 position push button, possibly the problem. It wasn't in the correct mode. The PB gave me troubles, I know over the past years the PB was the major dislike by owners. I personally will not use it, may modify the Outlaw with a toggle switch..............

Back
Top Bottom