Going to Belize

dobermanduke

I am a rookie with an ACE 250. I don't get out much due to work. However when I do I enjoy it.
In December we have rented a beach house in Belize for a week. It has a large private beach. The house is only 2 years old and is situated a few miles from the nearest village. There is also a small uninhabited island a short boat ride away that we can explore.

Any issues if I take my ACE? Any tips, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

I am a rookie with an ACE 250. I don't get out much due to work. However when I do I enjoy it.
In December we have rented a beach house in Belize for a week. It has a large private beach. The house is only 2 years old and is situated a few miles from the nearest village. There is also a small uninhabited island a short boat ride away that we can explore.

Any issues if I take my ACE? Any tips, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Don't get the box wet. Salt water will kill it quick. The coil and cable is water proof. But you really shouldn't detect in wet salt with the ACE to begin with. Up above the water line in the dry sand you will be fine.

I've sailed down along that coast and it is very pretty. Belize has a huge coral reef complex and many offshore islands with nobody on them. You should have fun.

OT

I've spent some time in Belize. Mostly diving and fishing as this is the worlds second largest barrier reef. Most of my time has been on the island Ambergris Caye'. And at Capt. Morgans Resort no doubt!! :lol::lol::yes::p. I'll never forget the first time there. I woke up to an AWESOME sun rise over the ocean at about 5:00 am on the first morning. Temp was about 90 deg and humitity at about 90%...at 5 in the morning!! I walked out to the pavillion at the end of the pier out in front of the resort...jumped into the water..and thought I was gonna die!!! The entire Island is sourounded with a sea grass that stings worse than stinging nettle!! I was in complete pain on the swim back to the beach and with in minutes of getting out of the water I was covered with welts from head to toe!!!! At that moment I understood why I hadn't seen anyone swimming at the beaches except for out on the reef when I arrived. :lol::no: The stuff hurts like hell and they don't warn the tourist about it. The grass grows about 10 feet out from the white sandy shoreline and extends out until the water gets about 10 feet deep. Saw LOTS of bonefish swimming in it! Strange enough, I never saw any of it near the reef. The reef itself is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my entire life!!! Makes Baja, Hawaii and Maui seem like a desert. Also, since I'm off topic :lol: you MUST visit the rain forest! Another amazing feature that Belize sports. Cave tubing through the rain forest mountains is outstanding! Belize is an enchanting and amazing place, with many amazon like rivers, a rain forest, and an amazing barrier reef sprinkled with islands. But always remember, Belize as a country is EXTREMELY VERY POOR!! It borders Honduras (spelling?) which is not american friendly! Personally, I think it would be fun to swing a coil there, BUT I wouldn't do it alone with a set of head phones on. Even on a so called 'Private beach'. Belize is nowhere near as friendly as Baja.. :D Hope this helps, have a GREAT trip!!

BV

Any issues with Customs?

I am also heading to Central America (Guatemala) soon. My main concern is customs "confiscating" my MD for whatever reason they come up with. I know that the govornment agencies in Central America are not always on the "up and up". Has anyone traveled into Central America with a detector? What was your experience, and what guidance can you give? Thanks

Anything ever come of this? I'm going to Belize in June and thinking of bringing the detector to hit up the beach where I'm staying on San Juan Island.

I did find this...

"Actually, most of the things you would find with a metal detector in Belize will put you on the wrong side of the law. The antiquities laws of Belize are very clear - anything more than 50 years old that is found in or on the ground belongs 100% to the people of Belize - NOT to the landowner as US law provides (this makes the US almost unique in the world BTW). Many landowners would not want you looking on their property because if you find a genuine archaeological site (and the law protects ANY site, not just Mayan ones), the government can actually step in and confiscate the land by declaring it an archaeological preserve, and they do not have to offer compensation to the landowner.
It is also completely illegal to look for things in or on the ground on public (Crown) land in Belize without a permit. The fines are substantial and you can even get jail time. This goes for underwater and beaches as well."

I did find this...

"Actually, most of the things you would find with a metal detector in Belize will put you on the wrong side of the law. The antiquities laws of Belize are very clear - anything more than 50 years old that is found in or on the ground belongs 100% to the people of Belize - NOT to the landowner as US law provides (this makes the US almost unique in the world BTW). Many landowners would not want you looking on their property because if you find a genuine archaeological site (and the law protects ANY site, not just Mayan ones), the government can actually step in and confiscate the land by declaring it an archaeological preserve, and they do not have to offer compensation to the landowner.
It is also completely illegal to look for things in or on the ground on public (Crown) land in Belize without a permit. The fines are substantial and you can even get jail time. This goes for underwater and beaches as well."

Maybe that's why we never heard back from the OP. He might be sitting in jail. :lol:

belize....

guess I won't be going anytime soon

any suggestions for warm winter retreats where there may be much European 18k gold????

guess I won't be going anytime soon

any suggestions for warm winter retreats where there may be much European 18k gold????

I just read my old post and started cracking up...then realized I was the one that posted that :lol:

The Caribbean is very detector friendly and LOTS of tourist from all over the world. Many of the Islands are influenced by European ownership. However the locals have become very detector smart.

Mercer, the post is from years ago. They guy who started the post is in prison. He will be there for another 12 years.

OH BLIP, Kidding. CS, funny about old posts! Guess the search feature is used from time to time....:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom