Beach Finds

Brian

Elite Member
Having taken a long trip to where I think there's got to be a beach hoard (see the two hammered silver pennies with sharp edges so never circulated + one has signs of being fused to other coins) the sand was in so high you were walking uphill going down to the low water mark.
Total finds 2 pence and an old halfpenny.
Gave it up as a bad job and headed for Swansea Jack territory near Swansea, S.Wales.
Still to much sand so hit the pebble ridge at the top of the beach. Apart from the usual modern (clad) coins, a nice twenty two carat wedding band came up, a rolled gold on silver St.Christoper and a bigger silver one. Interesting finds were a Victorian shilling of 1874 and a 1816 Bullhead sixpence both of which should clean up well.
The old shape bit of pewter is a Queen Anne 1702-14 spoon handle (you can just make out the bust between the letters A and R.... Anne Regina). I would have been over the moon with this if there had been more of it. The stones on the beach smash everything in time, on land it would have been chopped up by the plough.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 275
Interesting finds from your side of the pond Brian :) Were you using a PI?

P.I. for the hammered and the gold ring. The rest were from the heavy rubbish area at the very top of the beach using a XP in its all metal but with iron I.D. mode.
Having seen another beach miles away that looked stripped on the Surfscan camera link my mate and I drove for two hours to find there was no sand off just a whole new layer making it look as though parts have been stripped.
Six hours later we had about $5 between us. Should have moved on straight away but we got caught by the fine weather that meant that instead of parking being free we got charged an arm and a leg. A few years back you would park free or cheaply, walk down to check the conditions and move on if it didn't look so good. One place a few weeks ago tried to charge £5 ($2.5 ?).
All roads for miles back from the beaches have double yellow lines (no parking) to force you into the official car parks.

Back
Top Bottom