beanie baby estate sale find.

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
went to an estate sale and in the home office there was a beanie baby on a guys desk in a plastic display case. It was marked $3.00. so what the heck, I took a chance. Took it home and researched it on eBay and found that one had errors so it was rare and it recently sold for $680 and $2,060. So wow, I hit the lottery.

but then I wondered why the exact same described beanie baby. Teddy holiday 1997 with errors was also selling for low amounts under $10.

put the problem up on another metal detecting forum under garage sales and got a few different answers. But only one was right.

They are laundering drug money on ebay. When you see an item for a very high dollar amount and only one bid and the ebay account was opened within the last few days and zero feedback history it is someone selling drugs and running the money through ebay. Now, this only effects your trying to determine prices of some items. I don't think people will actually bid on these much higher priced items.

the only question I have remaining is how does the person on the other end get the cash out of paypal without going through a bank?

Anyway I think my $3.00 beanie baby find is worth less than $3.00. Hah, learn something every day.

Last edited:
I've been selling on eBay for almost twenty years now, I see that kind of thing all the time, it's as you said, money laundering. When you check under the "sold" menu for any one particular item and you catch one that was sold at an exorbitant price, well there you go.

A friend of mine had over 300 beanie babies. Like a lot of people he thought they were very valuable. He had a valet sell them on E-/Bay and was very disappointed in the amount that they brought. I told him that he got far more than they were worth. He had spent far more purchasing them than he got back. Sorta like cabbage patch kids that folks were paying high prices for and now are virtually worthless.

I think it's also a scam to inflate the value of something and create a fake market. I've noticed a seller will list a "rare error bear" for $10k. It sells, (presumably to a friend or another account from the same seller" It then will show a completed sale for $10k, creating an artificial market price. Then they relist the item for $8k stating "the last one sold for $10k so at $8k, this is a great deal"

It's all a scam.

The money laundering seems unlikely. There are PayPal fees and Ebay fees plus prying eyes. It's likely a seller using multiple accounts to give themself feedback.
With all the crypto coins and various other methods money, laundering isnt what it used to be.

I think it's also a scam to inflate the value of something and create a fake market. I've noticed a seller will list a "rare error bear" for $10k. It sells, (presumably to a friend or another account from the same seller" It then will show a completed sale for $10k, creating an artificial market price. Then they relist the item for $8k stating "the last one sold for $10k so at $8k, this is a great deal"

It's all a scam.

A week or 2 later the seller opens a non-payment case to erase the ebay fees.
The Indian sellers selling diamonds and such bid on there own auctions every single time

I see that quite often with mason jars on eBay. Here's a box of 6 jars selling for over $600.00! Not rare or old, just laundering drug money. EBay should do something about it, but they don't want to lose out on all those fees. Greed is good...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ball-Wide-Mouth-Mason-Canning-Jars-Lid-Half-Gallon-64-Oz-Box-Pack-Of-6/223195083027?epid=668268913&hash=item33f776b113:g:GgUAAOSwKA5byRFP

Funny thing about that link.. it shows 2 available and 6 sold.. click on the sold and they all sold in the 24 - 25 range

went to an estate sale and in the home office there was a beanie baby on a guys desk in a plastic display case. It was marked $3.00. so what the heck, I took a chance. Took it home and researched it on eBay and found that one had errors so it was rare and it recently sold for $680 and $2,060. So wow, I hit the lottery.

but then I wondered why the exact same described beanie baby. Teddy holiday 1997 with errors was also selling for low amounts under $10.

put the problem up on another metal detecting forum under garage sales and got a few different answers. But only one was right.

They are laundering drug money on ebay. When you see an item for a very high dollar amount and only one bid and the ebay account was opened within the last few days and zero feedback history it is someone selling drugs and running the money through ebay. Now, this only effects your trying to determine prices of some items. I don't think people will actually bid on these much higher priced items.

the only question I have remaining is how does the person on the other end get the cash out of paypal without going through a bank?

Anyway I think my $3.00 beanie baby find is worth less than $3.00. Hah, learn something every day.

Oh, they can go through a bank, but that's what makes it "Laundered". It's now a legal transaction.

You should have some fun with it, and put it up with the exact same listing, and price. *Laughs* Just use a new account, though... Whoa.

Skippy

Beanie babies, baseball rookie cards, cabbage patch dolls, etc. etc. People have lost a lot of money "investing" in them as collectibles. Maybe my precious metal holdings won't make me a fortune in profits (maybe nothing at all) but I'll take my chances with them over the other stuff any day and every day.

Beanie babies, baseball rookie cards, cabbage patch dolls, etc. etc. People have lost a lot of money "investing" in them as collectibles. Maybe my precious metal holdings won't make me a fortune in profits (maybe nothing at all) but I'll take my chances with them over the other stuff any day and every day.

In the last three years, I've seen the price of 1800's US coins jump by at least 30%... I think that's where it's at right now, for investment purposes. The mid-range "deals" are where it appears to be at.

In the last three years, I've seen the price of 1800's US coins jump by at least 30%... I think that's where it's at right now, for investment purposes. The mid-range "deals" for less common varieties, are where it appears to be at. Not so much the key dates, as things like "Draped bust Half Disme".

Skippy

They are laundering drug money on ebay. When you see an item for a very high dollar amount and only one bid and the ebay account was opened within the last few days and zero feedback history it is someone selling drugs and running the money through ebay....
I agree that the exorbitant prices for some items on eBay are suspicious.

But if it is laundering drug money (cash), how can they deposit cash in their PayPal account to pay for the high priced item? Just wondering.

Oh, they can go through a bank, but that's what makes it "Laundered". It's now a legal transaction.

You should have some fun with it, and put it up with the exact same listing, and price. *Laughs* Just use a new account, though... Whoa.

Skippy

That's good. I think I may try this.

Shill selling Beanie Babies on Ebay for laundering drug money? Amateur hour! Just cut a rap record! It dont even have to rhyme or make any sense or have any musical quality! Thats how its done nowadays!...Then you put on 'venue performances' that bring in '1000 people at $50 per'...Of course, nobodies counting the gate, so you can say whatever amount you want and submit the laundered cash into a bank account...

Many or most of todays Rap Artists careers began thusly...Anybody can do this! watch!

"Dibbee Dibbee Dee, I'm the one and only M-U-D!....Giggy Giggy Gee, I'm the one and only P-U-P!

Hold Up! Hey! We be rocking till the coil falls off! Slinging F70 with reckless abandon, digging holes like the Grand Canyon, stooping and stabbing, penny grabbin', snatching up clad like a stone cold Madman!

Working the curbstrips like a Hoe, bussing ditch cans like a tractor mow...I'm out for the G's for to get my B's, drop topping rat riding smokin' in my old Chevy...

Diggy Diggy Dig, I'm the one and only M-U-D!....Scoopy Scoopy Scoop, I'm the one and only P-U-P!"

See how easy this is? Rap is where they laundry money is cleaned! Beanie Babies? Digger Mutherhubbard Please!

Funny thing about that link.. it shows 2 available and 6 sold.. click on the sold and they all sold in the 24 - 25 range

Wow, that's weird! Something definitely going on with that listing, but I'm not sure what they're pulling.

Shill selling Beanie Babies on Ebay for laundering drug money? Amateur hour! Just cut a rap record! It dont even have to rhyme or make any sense or have any musical quality! Thats how its done nowadays!...Then you put on 'venue performances' that bring in '1000 people at $50 per'...Of course, nobodies counting the gate, so you can say whatever amount you want and submit the laundered cash into a bank account...

Many or most of todays Rap Artists careers began thusly...Anybody can do this! watch!

"Dibbee Dibbee Dee, I'm the one and only M-U-D!....Giggy Giggy Gee, I'm the one and only P-U-P!

Hold Up! Hey! We be rocking till the coil falls off! Slinging F70 with reckless abandon, digging holes like the Grand Canyon, stooping and stabbing, penny grabbin', snatching up clad like a stone cold Madman!

Working the curbstrips like a Hoe, bussing ditch cans like a tractor mow...I'm out for the G's for to get my B's, drop topping rat riding smokin' in my old Chevy...

Diggy Diggy Dig, I'm the one and only M-U-D!....Scoopy Scoopy Scoop, I'm the one and only P-U-P!"

See how easy this is? Rap is where they laundry money is cleaned! Beanie Babies? Digger Mutherhubbard Please!

:laughing: :cool:

well Mud the white rapper enema from Mich better look over his shoulder. You could be on to a career instead of collecting clad to one of raking millions of dollars and get yourself some serious real bling.

On another note. In the tv series Trailer Park Boys, the white boy who thinks he is a black rapper is so, so funny. Footnote, only watch the original series, do not watch any of the "out of the park" movies. they suck big time.

Back
Top Bottom