If You Have Been Contemplating Getting Steve's Carbon Fiber Rod System, Do it!

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I just received and installed Steve's carbon fiber rod system on my Equinox 800. It was shipped fast and secure. Easy to install and it looks awesome. I also elected to include the counter weight system. It is a container that screws to the upper end of the rod and balances out the coil weight. Comes with a couple bags of shot for weight adjustments. I set mine up so that the stock coil now feels like I have the 6 inch coil on. Great construction, quality and workmanship. Can't wait to get some use on it in the field. Thanks Steve!

Attachments

• 20190321_153317_resized.jpg
    20190321_153317_resized.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 20190321_153322_resized.jpg
    20190321_153322_resized.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,080
  • 20190321_153327_resized.jpg
    20190321_153327_resized.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,162
  • 20190321_153402_resized.jpg
    20190321_153402_resized.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,081
  • 20190321_153432_resized.jpg
    20190321_153432_resized.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,077
Last edited:
Stiffwrists -- THANK YOU, for posting your thoughts, and your very kind words. I'm thrilled that you are pleased with everything; there's nothing I like more than a satisfied customer!

Longbow62 -- I thank you also! I appreciate the endorsement, and happy that you are also pleased!

Thanks!

Steve

I just received and installed Steve's carbon fiber rod system on my Equinox 800. It was shipped fast and secure. Easy to install and it looks awesome. I also elected to include the counter weight system. It is a container that screws to the upper end of the rod and balances out the coil weight. Comes with a couple bags of shot for weight adjustments. I set mine up so that the stock coil now feels like I have the 6 inch coil on. Great construction, quality and workmanship. Can't wait to get some use on it in the field. Thanks Steve!

Stiff,

With the counterweights, technically you're swinging more weight (though it's offset by the mechanical advantage of "leverage." Does the counterweight cause you to have less fatigue or more (even though it's an easier swing).

Also... Steve... what's the price for a Garrett AT setup?

Stiff,

With the counterweights, technically you're swinging more weight (though it's offset by the mechanical advantage of "leverage." Does the counterweight cause you to have less fatigue or more (even though it's an easier swing).

I havent had it out in the field yet. I'll report back. Just swinging it for a minute or two in my backyard feels nice though. And it looks cool. :cool: I'll let you know when I get a few hours on it.

I've got about 20 hours or so on my Steveg Equinox complete shaft, and I couldn't be happier with it! The new shaft is slightly lighter than the stock shaft, but more importantly, I feel like the rig has better overall balance than the stock shaft, even without counterbalancing. The two piece shaft can be adjusted to virtually any length using the cam lock, which is probably part of the reason the balance feels better out of the box. I went with the option that allows addition of counterweights, but I haven't ordered the weights yet - I don't feel like I'll need them, unless I go with a 15" coil. I also like that the new shaft collapses to a slightly shorter length than the old shaft (45" versus 47" with the 8" stock coil folded flat), which makes it a little easier for me to fit it in my trunk or a travel bag without completely breaking the rig down. And although I hadn't experience any shaft wobble with the stock shaft (yet), I'm happy knowing I don't have to worry about it at all. Fit and finish are all high quality - the shaft really looks great.

One other small but potentially important benefit - the lower rods on Steveg's shaft utilize a normal, circular shaped o-ring instead of Minelab's odd tear drop shaped o-rings. If I ever need to replace the o-rings, it's nice to know I can probably just pick them up at the local hardware store instead of special order from Minelab.

All that and Steve was a great guy to deal with - fast and efficient customer service. I can highly recommend the shaft to anyone looking for an aftermarket shaft for their Equinox.

WOW, AirmetTango! What a great review! I really appreciate that you took the time, and even moreso, I'm THRILLED that you are pleased with the shaft!

YES, for anyone wondering, the O-rings/washers are 19mm in diameter, with a 10mm diameter hole in the middle, and 3mm thick. You can find them readily available on Amazon, ebay, or in some hardware stores, AND I am happy to provide them to customers who need them, as well.

Again, THANKS for the very kind words -- I'm always thrilled when I know I have a happy customer!

Steve

Stiff,

I have several hours use with the new carbon fiber and counterweight. It actually does feel lighter swinging it. I noticed less fatigue for sure. The 800 used to wear my wrist out, but havent noticed it with the new shafts. The counterweight takes some getting used to. Its weird (in a good way) to have the coil end so light. I like to kind of let the coil make contact with the sod as I swing. I also use the ground to straighten out the coil angle as I go. If that makes sense... with the coil feeling so much lighter, I've had to keep my eye on the coil more, so that I know its completely parallel with the ground. I had gotten used to enjoying the scenery, now I have to watch what I'm doing until I get more practice. No complaints though. So glad I made the purchase. I'd recommend it.

What is the cost for the Nox setup? I went from the 6" coil to the stock coil last weekend and really could tell the difference. I may have to upgrade

Stiff,

Skippy, SORRY I missed your question! I didn't see it there, in the bottom of your post!

I have never made a shaft for a Garrett AT yet; I don't have an AT Pro or Max, and I kind of need my hands on one, to see if it's do-able, and then design it. I'd be willing, but I would need to have one in-hand, to build one...

Hmm...

Steve

What is the cost for the Nox setup? I went from the 6" coil to the stock coil last weekend and really could tell the difference. I may have to upgrade

Pryan --

It depends a bit on what you need; for instance, if you want an upper shaft only, versus an upper AND a lower (i.e. a complete shaft). There are several options/configurations that I offer; I'll send you a PM and give you some more info. I'm not trying to be "evasive," but I'm limited as to what I can say, on the forum, and in certain sub-forums. I can only give pricing info in my ads on the "for sale" forums...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=270306

...and must provide details about my company privately (via PM) ONLY, until I can afford to become "forum sponsor." But I'm happy to provide all the info you need, if you contact me via PM.

Thanks!

Steve

I have several hours use with the new carbon fiber and counterweight. It actually does feel lighter swinging it. I noticed less fatigue for sure. The 800 used to wear my wrist out, but havent noticed it with the new shafts. The counterweight takes some getting used to. Its weird (in a good way) to have the coil end so light. I like to kind of let the coil make contact with the sod as I swing. I also use the ground to straighten out the coil angle as I go. If that makes sense... with the coil feeling so much lighter, I've had to keep my eye on the coil more, so that I know its completely parallel with the ground. I had gotten used to enjoying the scenery, now I have to watch what I'm doing until I get more practice. No complaints though. So glad I made the purchase. I'd recommend it.

Stiffwrists -- I appreciate the additional kind words!

I know what you are saying; when I first attached a proper amount of counterweighting, it DID feel very different -- the coil sort of "floats," instead of resting on the ground. That's a good thing, in terms of removing the pain/fatigue you would otherwise feel, but if you were using the coil "resting on the ground" to help guide you in terms of keeping the coil "flat/parallel to the ground," when you are sweeping, then I could see you needing to make an adjustment, so as to keep your eyes on the coil a bit more, to confirm that you are swinging it flat/level. The good news is, though, that you definitely experienced an improvement, in terms of fatigue. That's the goal!

One thing I will say, is there is a GREAT lesson there, buried in what you are saying...about keeping the coil FLAT/PARALLEL TO THE GROUND, when detecting. I can't tell you how many people -- mainly newer detectorists -- I see swinging their detector like a "pendulum;" the only time their coil is within a couple inches of the ground is right at the "bottom" of their swing, out in front of their feet. The rest of the time, the coil is so far off the ground there's no WAY they'd detect a target! Keeping it flat -- i.e. "low" as some people call it, is SO important...through your ENTIRE sweep...

Steve

Thanks, Stiff. Good report!

Stiffwrists -- I appreciate the additional kind words!

I know what you are saying; when I first attached a proper amount of counterweighting, it DID feel very different -- the coil sort of "floats," instead of resting on the ground. That's a good thing, in terms of removing the pain/fatigue you would otherwise feel, but if you were using the coil "resting on the ground" to help guide you in terms of keeping the coil "flat/parallel to the ground," when you are sweeping, then I could see you needing to make an adjustment, so as to keep your eyes on the coil a bit more, to confirm that you are swinging it flat/level. The good news is, though, that you definitely experienced an improvement, in terms of fatigue. That's the goal!

One thing I will say, is there is a GREAT lesson there, buried in what you are saying...about keeping the coil FLAT/PARALLEL TO THE GROUND, when detecting. I can't tell you how many people -- mainly newer detectorists -- I see swinging their detector like a "pendulum;" the only time their coil is within a couple inches of the ground is right at the "bottom" of their swing, out in front of their feet. The rest of the time, the coil is so far off the ground there's no WAY they'd detect a target! Keeping it flat -- i.e. "low" as some people call it, is SO important...through your ENTIRE sweep...

Steve

After carefully noting how the mechanics of swing work, I've found that the best advice I can give a noobie, is to point their thumb in the direction of the swing. This results in just enough wrist rotation to keep the coil parallel.

It's much easier to remember that, for some reason, than to focus on the coil.

Works well for kids, and adults.

Skippy

After carefully noting how the mechanics of swing work, I've found that the best advice I can give a noobie, is to point their thumb in the direction of the swing. This results in just enough wrist rotation to keep the coil parallel.

It's much easier to remember that, for some reason, than to focus on the coil.

Works well for kids, and adults.

Skippy

Skippy,

That is a GREAT tip, especially for a new detectorist.

It is EXACTLY that -- a slight wrist rotation -- that is required to keep the coil parallel; what an easy, simple way you have come up with, to teach that to a newb! POINT YOUR THUMB IN THE DIRECTION OF THE SWING.

I never thought of it, relative to "pointing your thumb;" I "feel" it, more, from the perspective of my wrists (probably due to playing too much golf, where the hands and wrists are so important, LOL!) But, if I think about it from the thumb perspective, what you say is exactly right...if you are rotating your wrists slightly/properly, as you swing, keeping the coil parallel to the ground, the effect on your thumb is that it will be pointing in the direction of your swing.

Great tip, Skippy!

Steve

Good to get this feedback. Been saving up for Steve's setup. Had a little setback, but it's still a plan. Thanks guys!

Foragist, glad to hear you are interested! If you can make it work at some point, send me a PM, or an email to [email protected], and I'll be happy to build a shaft to your liking!

Steve

Hey all --

Just wanted to mention here that I have a couple of new opportunities, for anyone interested...

1. Colored carbon-fiber shafts (coming soon; inquire if you are interested...)

2. Discounted shafts (due to a mistake made by tube producer, inquire if you are interested)…

Thanks!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom