New to detecting

CarsonChris

Elite Member
New member. Was given a beginners detector for XMas. Went to a local park. Lots of signals but I only found a penny. Can’t really dig up the grass in the park.

Do bronze and gold emit a similar tone on the detectors? My LCD screen shows different icons. I picked up the gold ring/bronze signal a couple times.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

As the previous poster asked, let us know the model you have and members familiar with that model should be glad to help.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Thanks for the welcome. It’s a Canway 1028. I put it into the no iron mode. Found some good signals showing in the top 2”-4” but didn’t want to dig up the park grass to find what was below. Most of the signals showed pennies or nickels but had a few “silver” and a couple of gold ring/ bronze signals.

Welcome to the hobby, CarsonChris! As you gain a little experience with digging targets, you'll soon see that it actually is quite possible to retrieve targets from grassy areas at parks and home sites. It takes a little practice, and some common sense about good timing, but you can fairly quickly master the art of cut a plug in grass so that you can retrieve a coin and leave little to no trace. There are several acceptable plug techniques, and plenty of Youtube videos that can show you how:

As the others have said, knowing which particular model you're using will help give you more specific answers, but yes, for many detector brands and models, bronze and gold will sound off very similarly....along with old style beer and soda can pulltab rings and loads of other trash.

Welcome to the forum, Lotsa help here .
A pinpointer is next on your list if you want tocut a larger plug and replace it.
This prevents you from having to rip the plug apart to find the target.
I would start with a probe and screwdriver to poke around and locate the hard target then get under it with the screwdriver and pop it up to the serface .
Test a few dimes quarters and pennies under your coil to figure out what the high conductors sound like . Be selective for now on solid coin targets wile you practice.
Hit YouTube for detecting videos and we are also here to help.
The other advise is when you buy a pinpointer buy a good one . Same goes for digging tools. I went threw a half dozen digging tools before I learned there are things made to last more then a day or week👍

Stop in here and give a report when you get out hunting. We love hunting reports and pictures of finds so do not be afraid to show off.😎

So a screw driver and prob ( kinda like an ice pick or scribe to push into the ground softly in and out till it hits the quarter.
Then get under it with the screw driver and pop it up.
No harm to the grass and no shovel needed
Good little Pouch to put stuff in and trash targets you don't want to leave laying around. Gloves for safety .
One other tip . If you can bring your coil up a foot off the ground and swing over the target and still hear it. It's likely a junk crushed can . The smaller good stuff will go away as you bring your coil up.
Dew

Welcome from"Parts Unknown" NY!

If the ground is frozen, hit a playground and a sandbox or if you have a beach nearby too!

It's only cold out till you find stuff!

GLHH

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

You can also try hitting the woods, often the leaves will insulate the ground and keep it diggable while everything else is frozen. My wife got me a detector for Christmas about 6 years ago and the ground was frozen solid and under about 6 inches of snow. Had to try it though. Found a bare spot next the my house right below the dryer vent. Was only a few feet around but was able to recover a roofing nail or 2. Also did not even have a digger at the time, hacked a hole in the ground with a crowbar to recover it. Must of been a sight if anyone was watching. It did plant a seed the has grown into an obsession though. Good luck with your new tool.

Best videos on YouTube are dirtfishing by Bill S. He cuts the best unnoticeable plugs you’ll ever see. He tests all kinds of detectors with all kinds of different coils. I learned more about the hobby by watching his videos than from any other source. Check him out, you’ll be glad you did!

... Can’t really dig up the grass in the park....

Sure you can. We all dig targets, even in park turf/grass. As long as you cover it up, stomp on it, fluff it back up, and leave no trace. Then ... presto, you've done no harm :)

Granted doing this in turf (as opposed to sand, or naked dirt /weeds) *does* have connotations . Ie.: someone might think you're about to leave holes. Ok, sure. Go at lower traffic times and avoid such killjoys. What they don't see can't hurt them.

Or ... just do sandy or rough terrain type sites only, and skip turf.

Back
Top Bottom