Perseids meteor shower

~Alan~

Forum Supporter
Anyone else been watching the meteor shower ?

It peaked last night (Thursday), but there should still be some to see for the next few days.

Our astronomy club has a dark site we go to, out on the Dengie peninsular, near Burnham. It's supposed to be
the darkest place in Essex. There is still a little light pollution though.

As the forecast for Thursday was "iffy", a few members had gone out on Wednesday night. They counted about
40 meteors, before the cloud rolled in.
Annette had booked Thursday and Friday off, so we were a bit miffed with the rain and heavy cloud in the
afternoon. Anyway, a few emails were flying around to see who wanted to brave the conditions, and take a
chance on it clearing, which is what they forecast on the TV weather.

So, only five of us got down to the site at 9:30pm. It's a concrete hard standing right next to the sea wall.
Donned our cold weather, and made ourselves comfortable in our sun loungers.
We stayed until around 1:30am, and in that time, between us we recorded 113 meteors. Not counting the
ones we saw on the way home, and when we got home. There were some really bright ones, leaving
trails, and a lot of very short ones easily missed if you were looking in the wrong direction. These we would
never have seen from home. Apart from a few fairly transparent couds, it stayed clear all night.
We also had a lovely view of the Milky Way right overhead. As well as a lot of flashes from a thunderstorm,
somewhere out in the North Sea.

Another successful meteor watch

It was overcast here last night. Back in August 1978, I had a job where I had to be up before dawn, and the Persieds that year were spectacular. I was in a dark area (no streetlights) and some of them actually had some color. They were also very long in duration. Haven't seen any that good since.

Alan, we had cover here in KW last night too. I had little luck.

In years past I've gone out to Fort Jefferson 70 miles west of KW. Zero light pollution out there. During the shower it looks like the whole of the sky along a wide belt is a sparkler. Few ever get to see this event in such darkness. It's wild beyond belief. I have to wonder what people thousands of years ago thought about this happening. They all had a clean piece of sky to view.

OT

Was very cloudy in here, checked at around 11pm but as I had a workday the next day...
Perhaps I'll try to spot a few next night.

Voriax

Oh crap, I forgot all about it, and it was clear too. Probly be cloudy as all git-out tonite :no:

Thanks for the reminder.

I was up watching from 3-3:30am, only saw one. It was a good one though, very long, very bold with some color.

About 18 years ago, I was watching a shower one night and saw a rare sight. When a meteor is coming straight toward you, it appears as a stationary star that flashes brightly then goes out, kinda like a mini supernova.

I saw 'bout 5 over 2 nights (total hrs. 2.5). But I'm here in the city.
Back in the 80s sometime. Was watching this shower in the city and saw a "earth skipper". Very slow small red meteor with a tail almost halfway across the sky! Took about 30 seconds to cross the sky. Never seen it go out.
(Weird).

Back
Top Bottom