Anyone else noticed these common threads in treasure legends ?

Many common themes. I think many stories are made up to sell books. Much more interesting are the stories of treasure FOUND. So many of those are a mystery as to who put them there, such as the gold coins the California couple found. Depth you say? Well if you’re talking Spaniards, they buried the Kings quint in accordance with the codex/commands they had been given, but the Jesuits - Who were not supposed to be mining and got themselves kicked out of the New World for mining - literally had something to hide and are purported to have gone to great lengths and depths to do so. However, a robber on the run? Probably didn’t even bury it at all but maybe rolled a rock or found a hollow tree. Or maybe the sheriff or a posse member found the loot and moved away and bought a new place. Etc, etc, etc! That’s why winthropping might actually be a good tool when you’re out in the woods for whatever reason. I carry a Deus with me everywhere I go, just a couple sprinkler risers for the rod, and it fits in a small pack.

Once you begin your research at libraries however, stories begin to look less similar! You can research backwards and forwards before spending all your expedition money on a fairy tale meant to sell books!

.... but the Jesuits - Who were not supposed to be mining and got themselves kicked out of the New World for mining - literally had something to hide....!

Well ..... gee ...... maybe in your part of the USA. But here @ the Baja and Alta CA missions: They were dirt poor. They were lucky to get silver reales and any refined metals, for that matter.

There's been tons of archie digs at the mission sites on the west coast. And the museums of each of them has dug artifacts on display. And *at best*, some silver coins, buttons, copper medallions, etc... But no gold .

Me thinks this "missions" and "Jesuits" and "gold" , is nothing but fanciful Hollywood spaghetti western stuff.

We have caves full of "Yocum Silver Dollars" all over southwest Missouri. Unfortunately most are underwater since they dammed the river. One legend has it he was getting silver from an Indian mine and minting his own silver dollars. The 2nd legend might have some truth to it. There are a couple government documents supporting the theory that he was bootlegging whiskey to the Indians, back when it was legal to sell moonshine to anyone except Indians. The Indians would pay with government silver and he was melting it to hide the evidence.

Have they found the "Beale" treasure yet? I'd look for all these lost treasures but I'm too busy trying to find where jimmy Hoffa is buried and in my spare time I'm helping OJ find the "real killers".

Not all Jesuits broke the law, but as an order they were kicked out for mining. Not my words but easily verified. Kinda like saying there’s not treasure under any boulder just because nobody you know or ever heard of has ever found anything under one.

Not all Jesuits broke the law, but as an order they were kicked out for mining. Not my words but easily verified. Kinda like saying there’s not treasure under any boulder just because nobody you know or ever heard of has ever found anything under one.

No doubt, mankind, the world over, has always prospected and kept an eye out for goodies (no matter what your affiliation). But as far as actual profits from gold or silver mining: It was not beneficial here in baja or alta CA. In fact ..... rather humorously .... in Spanish times here (pre 1823), Spain even considered dropping further expansions of the mission effort , d/t "lack of natural resources" here . Humorous, because a mere 25-ish yrs. later, of course........ gold was the big thing here :)

Tom-gotcha. Yes they either obeyed the rules or were crappy miners, lol! I do think as modern day detectorists we’re looking for the same treasures that were probably found-IF THEY EXISTED-reference ‘common theme’, by earlier detectorists. I hunt the goldfields in Az every chance I get and I’m amazed that no matter rugged the terrain and far off the beaten path, I can still find evidence of the area having been worked! Still, through technology we can find what they missed! With treasure legends though, especially if ‘there were no survivors’ (lol) it would be best to leave the hiking boots in the closet!

No doubt, mankind, the world over, has always prospected and kept an eye out for goodies (no matter what your affiliation). But as far as actual profits from gold or silver mining: It was not beneficial here in baja or alta CA. In fact ..... rather humorously .... in Spanish times here (pre 1823), Spain even considered dropping further expansions of the mission effort , d/t "lack of natural resources" here . Humorous, because a mere 25-ish yrs. later, of course........ gold was the big thing here :)

I always found it VERY Interesting that Mexico gave up California and Other surrounding States in 1848 and bam less than a year later we Stuck the Mother load..

Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo - HISTORY

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...lupe-hidalgo&usg=AOvVaw1WOXvslM8nYUehYYpbx_HC

Excerpt:
The war officially ended with the February 2, 1848, signing in Mexico of the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo. The treaty added an additional 525,000 square miles to United States territory, including the land that makes up all or parts of present-day Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming.

Tom-gotcha. Yes they either obeyed the rules or were crappy miners, lol! ....

Or a 3rd and 4th option:

A) They simply never discovered the CA gold (the "strike" near Castaic was 1) meager and 2) during Mexican times, not Spanish times),

B) If massive gold strikes had been discovered during Spanish times, that word could/would have dutifully crept back to the Spanish crown.

Not sure whey any sort of disobedience or crappy-ness of mining is necessarily an option we must choose between.

Funny thing about this subject...Lost Treasures and all....

The Modern Day Lost 'treasures' stories are posted on Facebook or Craigslist...There was one up here a few years back that got us all wee-weed up and on the hunt! Seems a young girl 'lost' and heirloom 3 OZ 24k bracelet at a popular beach in a specific area and reward was offered...

Well Sir, about every advanced and savvy coil swinger in a 5 county radius including myself was out in rabid pursuit for this lost treasure, I mean hey, 3OZ of 24K? Sure! We descended on that place hammer and tongs!

All the time and in all weather, all trying to be the Mel Fisher of West Michigan, and make the evening dispatches!....As far as I know, nobody ever found it! Makes a guy wonder if it was an insurance claim deal, and that bracelet was sold/traded for dope....Or it was indeed honestly lost but found by some stupid unscrupulous kid with an AtPro!...:laughing:

This is all too common! I went and hunted for a gold ring a lady swore she lost on the sledding hill when she took off her glove to take pictures of her kids..."I lost it RIGHT HERE!" For 3 days of early mornings sweeping and communicating asking her "Are you SURE?"...I didnt find it!

Then, a few months later she called me and said "I have Wonderful News! I found my ring on my front walk when the snow melted!"...I'm like, Good News? DAMN! Thats like 5 miles from the Snowhill! I didnt get a nickle for all that Lost Treasure effort! :laughing:

So yeah...I like busting clad, its more profitable than chasing Lost Treasures in my experience, with a little easy unreported lost clad, at least a guy can get himself a can of beer or a cup of coffee...:laughing:

Yeah, Mud. Methinks most people that lose a ring or piece of jewelry that tell you where they lost it is really where they were when they discovered said jewelry was missing.

h) The treasure amount grows from year to year. The "lost Civil War gold" was originally 26 fifty pound gold bars (1,300 pounds). The guy on the other site is now claiming there was 9 tons of gold and probably silver as well! By next year, it will be 12 tons of gold and a few tons of silver!

Some view these tall tales as harmless, but I disagree. If this guy is earning income or taking in investors with this BS story, then he is committing fraud. Maybe if a few people complained to the PA attorney general's office, they would look into this story.

The other thought is this guy is just plain nuts with gold fever and needs to hang onto this tale. If that's the case, then I feel bad for him and wish he'd get some help for the problem.

It is call; Dent 's Run. I total agree with the author. We and Tom in Ca are on the other website for many years each. I was banned three times, two for calling Dennis a Liar which he is. The third time because I gave the history of me being banned. First, Three months, Six months and again for Three months which I am being banned. Tom told me to log off which I did and now read Dennis his lies. He must be on for at least 20 years with about four or five difference forums. When I was banned for six months, I told myself to relax that he will be gone and the story be dead. The same day that I came back, he came back with The Truth now to come out. He stated weeks ago that his lawyer will filed a lawsuit in federal court Marh 18. Never did. Many members on the other site are expert on the Civil War and all agree that the story never happen, and none of the men mention was never in the Army. When I came back after three month ban, I went back to the old forum and stated while I was gone, I had read a newspaper story and mention the reporter name, and name of the newspaper, stated that the FBI never found gold. I had recovered the old forum and the mods removed it for good because of my comments. Dennis stated many times that he never recovered any treasures in his life and that he keeps telling members that he wants to do a TV show or maybe movies. He is a story teller and no treasure
hunter. If this story is true, professed treasure hunters would had find it now. I be back June 7 on the other website. I am happy to be here to see old friends and make new ones.

Sorry to hear that my friend.

Sam, a few points:

A) The word "liar" is what got ya jinxed. I have no doubt that Dennis (FK) is not a "liar" as well. Because he is totally sincere in his beliefs. Hence not "lying".

MISTAKEN and DELUDED ? Yes. But "lying" ? No. Remember: A person can be "sincere", yet "sincerely wrong". It was the word "liar" that brought you under the mod's radar there :(

B) Yes, there's been no less that 3 or 4 "deadlines" come & gone, in the last 1 to 1.5 yrs. Eh ? And each time, there is always a colorful reason why they are further stymied by the legal system. Or some new "ground breaking deadline" is "just around the corner".

C) Don't forget: His/their definition of "found" (as in "found a treasure") is to have narrowed down a treasure location to a certain field, meadow, cave, or lake bottom. Now it's only a matter of over-coming govt. obstacles, or people who supposedly stole it. Right ? But rest assured: They "found " a treasure. :roll:

D) Don't think your voice was or is in vain: The readers on that "other" forum are well aware of the silly-ness of this claim. And as you can see, dissenting voices have FINALLY been allowed in there (as long as hot button words are avoided).

But there is treasure out there at least here in the UK..I was talking with a friend about some that was found locally (to us)known as the "Mold Gold Cape" which is now in the British Museum....

I don't believe most of these stories to be true, but they are fun to read.
Over here in Europe one of the biggest stories from the last decade was the nazi gold train hidden somewhere in a tunnel in Poland.
It was a good laugh, and good for the local economy. :-)

I don't believe most of these stories to be true, but they are fun to read.
Over here in Europe one of the biggest stories from the last decade was the nazi gold train hidden somewhere in a tunnel in Poland.
It was a good laugh, and good for the local economy. :-)

Another one from WW2 is the missing Russian Amber Room that was dismantled and lost...In its day, it was considered the eighth wonder of the world and its worth today is beyond comprehension...

The thing is, it is out there somewhere...Its not a vague legend, it was real and did disappear during the later stage of WW2..No trace was ever found and even if it were inadvertently destroyed while being moved ect, some traces would have been found....

Sam, a few points:

A) The word "liar" is what got ya jinxed. I have no doubt that Dennis (FK) is not a "liar" as well. Because he is totally sincere in his beliefs. Hence not "lying".

MISTAKEN and DELUDED ? Yes. But "lying" ? No. Remember: A person can be "sincere", yet "sincerely wrong". It was the word "liar" that brought you under the mod's radar there :(

B) Yes, there's been no less that 3 or 4 "deadlines" come & gone, in the last 1 to 1.5 yrs. Eh ? And each time, there is always a colorful reason why they are further stymied by the legal system. Or some new "ground breaking deadline" is "just around the corner".

C) Don't forget: His/their definition of "found" (as in "found a treasure") is to have narrowed down a treasure location to a certain field, meadow, cave, or lake bottom. Now it's only a matter of over-coming govt. obstacles, or people who supposedly stole it. Right ? But rest assured: They "found " a treasure. :roll:

D) Don't think your voice was or is in vain: The readers on that "other" forum are well aware of the silly-ness of this claim. And as you can see, dissenting voices have FINALLY been allowed in there (as long as hot button words are avoided).

lol I still don't get how i openly break the rules over there and only get warnings, especially when I see people being banned for such little things

Back
Top Bottom