News Paper Interview Advice

RFWoodVT

Need some advice!

Local newspaper tumbled onto a conversation I was having online and would like to do a story on metal detecting as well as joining me on a hunt.

Biggest concern is for the privacy and protection of the properties I'd be likely to take the reporter to.

Also, though I probably already have 800 hours behind the detector, I've only been at this a couple years. Hardly an expert in my mind!

Any ideas and thoughts are appreciated!

I would make certain with the land owner that it is permissible to take the reporter to the property. Other than that the question for me would be how comfortable are you that the reporter will report accurately the information that you give. Just would not want a bunch of negative press or untrue statements.

I would make certain with the land owner that it is permissible to take the reporter to the property. Other than that the question for me would be how comfortable are you that the reporter will report accurately the information that you give. Just would not want a bunch of negative press or untrue statements.

Fair enough...

Reporters really can't be trusted anymore to report what they have learned, can they. I guess I'll need to know what is angle and predisposition is. :frustrated:

Arrange to meet the reporter at a neutral location. Give reporter a pillow case to put over their head. Drive them to the location so they can not tell where they are. Take a longer route with many turns. This will confuse them as to where they are. When you arrive remove said pillow case. Detect for the day then reverse the process and bring them back to their vehicle. Then tell them to report accurately and while remaining totally expressionless stare right at them and tell them as a detectorist you know all the secret spots.

(disclaimer the above is just a joke although it may not be a bad idea.......)

RFWoodVT why cant you take the person to a public park or any place that is public property that allows detecting? This way you don't have to worry about a property owner feeling he is being invaded or you giving away your private permissions. I really doubt that a reporter would want to spend any more time it takes to get a story. after they leave you go to your permissions. just my thoughts on it.

I would decline the offer unless it is someone who you trust to be accurate.
You may open a local can of worms that can't be undone. IMHO.

I might pass as well, however, how about picking an old run down house in the middle of nowhere?

A Interview is one thing, taking a reporter on live digs is another, seems to me very risky. Make a mistake or say one wrong word and it becomes a fact in history. Do the interview with some finds to show variety not just coins. Also have a nice pile of trash to show the benefits of cleaned up grounds. Think about what you are going to say and practice it. This hobby can always use good PR. Intentions are good but here you have to trust a newsmen. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom