Tame the volume on ACE 250

mbharpman

I bought a volume control device at Radio Shack and attached it with a tie band. Simple and effective. It cost about $8 and a 1/8 to 1/4 plug.
It tames the volume to tolerable levels.
Sometimes I use over the ear phones but lately I've been using ear buds.
Comfortable, with no perceived degradation of signal.

Attachments

• 2010-08-31 14.45.41.jpg
    2010-08-31 14.45.41.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 3,622
If this would have been thought of and posted earlier you may have saved millions from abandoning their Aces! ;)

Nice fix. I don't like wearing headphones and I find that the loud ding of my Ace draws too much attention.

I bought a volume control device at Radio Shack and attached it with a tie band. Simple and effective. It cost about $8 and a 1/8 to 1/4 plug.
It tames the volume to tolerable levels.
Sometimes I use over the ear phones but lately I've been using ear buds.
Comfortable, with no perceived degradation of signal.
Good idea but get with the times man - here ya go :lol:

Attachments

• Ear_plugs9ce3cc.jpg
    Ear_plugs9ce3cc.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,922
I use headphones with volume control built in. But this is definitely a great way to use earbuds without a control module built in. Thanks!

Do you have a part number from Radio Shack?

EDIT: You CAN buy mini speakers that you could use with that volume control module that act as an external speaker that you can mount to the side of the Ace box if you can't wear buds or headphones.

Try this

I use a pair of Koss 'phones I got at Walmart, under $8.00, has Volume control on cord and it's light. You'll need a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. Works well.

I just got my new Ace 250 today.. It's my first metal detector! But is the volume always that loud on all metal detectors? Do you think I will be able to tame the volume if I use headphones with volume control or....?

That's what the thread is about. The ACE 250 has no volume control standard. Headphones with volume control built into them will work great. The ACE series seems to lack this design built in.

With the new AT Pro, instead of building volume control into the unit itself, they just send with the package, volume controlled headphones. Very nice ones too I might add.

I tried volume control headphones but i guess they didn't work... :( I found that if I just put the headphones around my neck it helps significantly. :D

The only way it wouldn't work is faulty headphoones. But with faulty headphones, I'd discontinue using them as you never know what else might be faulty with them. Maybe they don't work intermittently. Then you'd be missing out.

I tried volume control headphones but i guess they didn't work... :( I found that if I just put the headphones around my neck it helps significantly. :D
You might have to use headphones with a Stereo/Mono selector switch or just rewire the connector inside the 250 or the connections in the headphones if you care about your warranty.

call me cheap but i used the great duct tape. i dont use the earphones so i just tamed the sound down on my ace with a couple of layers of duct tape over the speakers on the bottom of the housing. doesnt scream look at me as bad now

call me cheap but i used the great duct tape. i dont use the earphones so i just tamed the sound down on my ace with a couple of layers of duct tape over the speakers on the bottom of the housing. doesnt scream look at me as bad now

For what its worth, I did some testing and found the stock speaker really drains a lot of juice from the battery when sounding. Duct taping will probably make this a little worse. :(

Back
Top Bottom