Finally Received My Ace

ME&MYACE400

Elite Member
Well it finally made it out of Michigan to my hands. Well my first scan around the yard i picked up a 85 to 99 signal and 6 inches down. Don't own a shovel yet but i marked the spot. It's on coin mode.
So do you think i have something? Or it's a error? the spot is 12 inches square.

By the way the headphones are to big for my head. Do they make them smaller for women?:facepalm:

Congrats on the new sweet Ace !
Put a pinpointer on your list too but yes ... a sturdy digging tool would be handy. 😋

I would hafta get up in the middle of the night to dig that signal ... no way I could sleep.
Happy hunting .
,Dew

If it bounces up to 99 chances are it's a large piece of metal. I have never dug a 99 that was anything valuable. Be wary of pipes and underground elec lines as well.

HH!

When you pinpoint it does it suddenly drop off when you move it away from the target, of does the sound slowly fade away? If it suddenly drops off, it could be a coin. If not it's most likely junk of some sort. I would say probably a circular piece of iron.

If it bounces up to 99 chances are it's a large piece of metal. I have never dug a 99 that was anything valuable. Be wary of pipes and underground elec lines as well.

HH!

This has been my experience with the Ace 400, as well. If it’s bouncing up to full-scale (99 on the Ace) from the mid 80s, it’s most likely large iron or similar. Like TriadH, I’ve never dug anything that hit 99 that turned out to be anything good except once - in that case, it was a rock solid 99, with absolutely no variation. Turned out to be a lead mold for a horse-mounted tin soldier toy. It registered as a 2” deep target, but ended up being 4 or 5 inches down.

You mentioned that the signal is showing about 12 inches square - is that in pinpoint mode? If so, it’s unusual for it to be showing 6” inches down and that large of a surface area. Large targets should register as shallower than they actually are, because the detector interprets depth based on the assumption that the target is coin sized (see page 7 of the Ace 400 manual - but it’s true for all detectors). The size you’re describing may indicate a very large object that’s quite deep. If you aren’t in pinpoint mode, you may notice a few differences once you try it. First, you may be able to pine down the size to something smaller than 12” square. Second, depth registers more accurately in pinpoint mode, and you may find that the item displays shallower than 6”.

All that said, it might be something awesome - you can’t know for sure until you dig it out :grin:

I feel your pain on the headphones - I have a pretty small head (matches my very small brain :lol:), so the stock headphones that come with the Ace 400 are a little too big for me unless I’m wearing a hat. It’s a problem I have beyond detecting - it’s a struggle for me to find aviation headsets for my job that fit well, also. Child sized units might be an option, but child sized headsets are usually lower quality. Let me know if you find a solution there, I’d be interested, too!

HH!

It sure was... a underground set of wires, don't know what it was running to except the forest :wow:

This has been my experience with the Ace 400, as well. If it’s bouncing up to full-scale (99 on the Ace) from the mid 80s, it’s most likely large iron or similar. Like TriadH, I’ve never dug anything that hit 99 that turned out to be anything good except once - in that case, it was a rock solid 99, with absolutely no variation. Turned out to be a lead mold for a horse-mounted tin soldier toy. It registered as a 2” deep target, but ended up being 4 or 5 inches down.

You mentioned that the signal is showing about 12 inches square - is that in pinpoint mode? If so, it’s unusual for it to be showing 6” inches down and that large of a surface area. Large targets should register as shallower than they actually are, because the detector interprets depth based on the assumption that the target is coin sized (see page 7 of the Ace 400 manual - but it’s true for all detectors). The size you’re describing may indicate a very large object that’s quite deep. If you aren’t in pinpoint mode, you may notice a few differences once you try it. First, you may be able to pine down the size to something smaller than 12” square. Second, depth registers more accurately in pinpoint mode, and you may find that the item displays shallower than 6”.

All that said, it might be something awesome - you can’t know for sure until you dig it out :grin:

I feel your pain on the headphones - I have a pretty small head (matches my very small brain :lol:), so the stock headphones that come with the Ace 400 are a little too big for me unless I’m wearing a hat. It’s a problem I have beyond detecting - it’s a struggle for me to find aviation headsets for my job that fit well, also. Child sized units might be an option, but child sized headsets are usually lower quality. Let me know if you find a solution there, I’d be interested, too!

this is good information. when to dig should be a conversation for us newbie's. i have dig 3 8 inch holes today. one was a large iron ring of some sort. but i had it on coin mode..what's with that?
yeah the headphones kept falling off and i had to keep fixing the. i didn't want anyone to hear me catch the big one :laughing:

My First Find

This was found on coin mode. Not sure why but we really need to keep reading.

Attachments

• WIN_20171229_14_26_57_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20171229_14_26_57_Pro.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 160
  • WIN_20171229_14_27_10_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20171229_14_27_10_Pro.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 160
this is good information. when to dig should be a conversation for us newbie's. i have dig 3 8 inch holes today. one was a large iron ring of some sort. but i had it on coin mode..what's with that?
yeah the headphones kept falling off and i had to keep fixing the. i didn't want anyone to hear me catch the big one :laughing:

For now wear a hat to bulk up your obviously abnormally small head 😬
Practice digging clean plugs . Until you get a pinpointer you will be messy so place the project on a towel the. Empty the dirt crumbles into the hole and replace the sod . I would also suggest if you have friends and family with a bit older homes .. say 50s or older .. these are great places to practice and give you the best chance of recovering some amaizing finds . Big front yards and around large trees , around the driveway and obviously under the old wash line .
They will forgive you if you make a little mess and you will always find some keepers .
Looking forward to your first finds reports .
Good luck 👍
If your ground is frozen the only chance you have is a dry sandy beach and the thick woods. Any big old woods neer activity can hold treasures . They are not deep as the seedlings constantly push up the goodies . The layers of leaves over the years create a compost pile that creates actual Heat . This tends to extend your season a wile . Be safe and aware of your seroundings . Leave one of your head phones off your ears . You may be able to substitute another. Set of headphones if you have the same size end on it or an adapter .
Happy hunting again ,
Oh ... and when you buy anything for detecting understand that you get what you pay for .. ask for opinions on here . A good digging tool , shovel or pinpointer should be a one time purchase . The cheaper stuff will not hold up . If you go with the less durable items to start just treat them gently
Dew

Well it finally made it out of Michigan to my hands. Well my first scan around the yard i picked up a 85 to 99 signal and 6 inches down. Don't own a shovel yet but i marked the spot. It's on coin mode.
So do you think i have something? Or it's a error? the spot is 12 inches square.

By the way the headphones are to big for my head. Do they make them smaller for women?:facepalm:

Glad to hear that you have received you're Ace 400. There is definitely a learning curve with any new machine.

Since it is winter time I would suggest setting a piece of cardboard in between two chairs so that is off the ground. Place different types of items on the cardboard such as Nails next to coins are pull tabs and listen to the different sounds that it makes throughout this cold winter season. Just remember that the sounds and tones maybe different once they're in the ground.

Also when it comes to the numbers I tend not to pay much attention to them but listen for the sound that it makes if it's a solid tone then I dig it sometimes I even did the iffy signals you would be surprised what you find. Good luck and happy Hunting.

i will look for that.
Tonight i did some bench testing on my bed while i watch tv. put the coins on the floor and test them. Well i put the Ace up on the bed and it started to make noises, i wonder if i should shred the mattress apart?:laughing:

i will look for that.
Tonight i did some bench testing on my bed while i watch tv. put the coins on the floor and test them. Well i put the Ace up on the bed and it started to make noises, i wonder if i should shred the mattress apart?:laughing:

You have a lot to learn young grasshoppa :laughing: you've come to the right spot! Hang in there, it will all make sense very soon! :yes:

This was found on coin mode. Not sure why but we really need to keep reading.

Keep in mind that “coin” mode doesn’t mean that the detector will literally only find coins. On the Ace 400 (and many other detectors from various brands), “coin” mode sets the discrimination on the detector such that you only hear signals for targets that the detector believes might be a coin, solely based on the conductivity of the metal being detected. For example, US pennies, dimes, and quarters tend to show up on the Ace 400 in the 76 to 95 range on the digital target ID scale, while nickels show up in the upper 40s. So coin mode on the Ace filters out any other audible detector signals, and only lets you hear signals in that assumed “coin” range. That can be convenient, because it means you won’t get distracted by, say, the foil top from a yogurt container which might produce a 35 signal, or a pull tab that maybe produces a 57 signal. Unfortunately, “coin” mode isn’t perfect by any means - any metal object that happens to have a conductivity similar to a coin will “fool” the detector. The metal ring you found in coin mode is apparently composed of a metal that showed conductivity in the coin-like range, which created the signal that prompted you to dig. Clear as mud, right?

In other words, coin mode won’t magically make your detector find coins and only coins. It’s just a way for you to tell the detector “I only want to hear signals that are most commonly associated with coins”.

As you get more experienced with the hobby, you quickly learn that pieces of aluminum cans, bottle caps, pipe fittings, and a zillion other metal object types can mimic a coin’s conductivity, and set off a high tone in coin mode. Similarly, many situations (such as iron masking) can cause an actual coin to generate a signal outside of the “usual” range, and a detector in coin mode will filter out the sound, resulting in a missed target. This is where experience and skill starts to play a bigger role in metal detecting!

Keep in mind that “coin” mode doesn’t mean that the detector will literally only find coins. On the Ace 400 (and many other detectors from various brands), “coin” mode sets the discrimination on the detector such that you only hear signals for targets that the detector believes might be a coin, solely based on the conductivity of the metal being detected. For example, US pennies, dimes, and quarters tend to show up on the Ace 400 in the 76 to 95 range on the digital target ID scale, while nickels show up in the upper 40s. So coin mode on the Ace filters out any other audible detector signals, and only lets you hear signals in that assumed “coin” range. That can be convenient, because it means you won’t get distracted by, say, the foil top from a yogurt container which might produce a 35 signal, or a pull tab that maybe produces a 57 signal. Unfortunately, “coin” mode isn’t perfect by any means - any metal object that happens to have a conductivity similar to a coin will “fool” the detector. The metal ring you found in coin mode is apparently composed of a metal that showed conductivity in the coin-like range, which created the signal that prompted you to dig. Clear as mud, right?

In other words, coin mode won’t magically make your detector find coins and only coins. It’s just a way for you to tell the detector “I only want to hear signals that are most commonly associated with coins”.

As you get more experienced with the hobby, you quickly learn that pieces of aluminum cans, bottle caps, pipe fittings, and a zillion other metal object types can mimic a coin’s conductivity, and set off a high tone in coin mode. Similarly, many situations (such as iron masking) can cause an actual coin to generate a signal outside of the “usual” range, and a detector in coin mode will filter out the sound, resulting in a missed target. This is where experience and skill starts to play a bigger role in metal detecting!

If we need to reprogram what the screen is showing us, than one would think this unit is not program accurate?
I have been out two weeks now following everything that the videos have shown and i keep digging up worms? PP is so narrowed down to spot that it's crazy not to locate something? I'm getting to not like this model. I can see if your on a beach how easy it would be, but this old baseball park and Indian tribe is not working for me. :no:

If we need to reprogram what the screen is showing us, than one would think this unit is not program accurate?

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking here, but it’s unlikely that the detector is miscalibrated. Again, the target ID numbers shown on the screen of any detector from any manufacturer are not absolutes. If something identifies in the “dime” range in any detector (“coin” mode or not) you might dig up a dime, but you might also dig up a copper pipe fitting, or who knows what depending on other qualities of the signal. Remember, “coin” mode on the Ace 400 (and most other detectors with a similar mode) is only the name given to a preset discrimination program. It only changes what the detector lets you hear. When in “coin” mode, you’ll notice that your screen will still show numbers occasionally, maybe 30s or 60s etc, with no sound. That’s because the detector is still finding metal, but by selecting “coin” mode, you told the detector that you aren’t interested in hearing those numbers. If you were in “zero disc” mode, you would hear all of those tones. “Coin” mode is a convenient way to quiet the detector down in trashier areas and/or when you want to target coins because the numbers you do hear have a higher probability of being coins - but again, no guarantee that it’s a coin, just a target with a conductivity that matches what we usually see from a coin.

The easiest way to understand what I’m saying (with way too many words) is to just put a bunch of modern coins and maybe a gold ring on the ground and swing the detector over them. First, you’ll notice that the various coin denominations ring up pretty consistent numbers everytime - all within the range selected by “coin” mode. That’s why coin mode is set the way it is - to alert you when the conductivity of the target under the coil matches a coin. Second, switch to different modes - you’ll likely notice that in some modes you’ll hear the gold ring, in others you won’t....but the number always shows on the screen.

I have been out two weeks now following everything that the videos have shown and i keep digging up worms? PP is so narrowed down to spot that it's crazy not to locate something? I'm getting to not like this model.

I’m sorry to hear that you aren’t happy with your hunting results so far. I urge you not to give up on the machine yet - the Ace 400 is a capable detector and you certainly should be finding something even if it’s just modern coins. While there’s a chance that there is something wrong with the detector, it’s much more likely that your difficulties are stemming more from inexperience. Is there a metal detecting club nearby where you can seek some face to face guidance? Or maybe even check around on the forum for a local member who might be willing to meet up and help. Also, by all means give Garrett Customer Service a call. Their support is very responsive and helpful - they can offer some good insight into how the detector works, and answer questions that you might have about operating it. Plus, they can help you determine or rule out if there’s something wrong that needs repair.

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking here, but it’s unlikely that the detector is miscalibrated. Again, the target ID numbers shown on the screen of any detector from any manufacturer are not absolutes. If something identifies in the “dime” range in any detector (“coin” mode or not) you might dig up a dime, but you might also dig up a copper pipe fitting, or who knows what depending on other qualities of the signal. Remember, “coin” mode on the Ace 400 (and most other detectors with a similar mode) is only the name given to a preset discrimination program. It only changes what the detector lets you hear. When in “coin” mode, you’ll notice that your screen will still show numbers occasionally, maybe 30s or 60s etc, with no sound. That’s because the detector is still finding metal, but by selecting “coin” mode, you told the detector that you aren’t interested in hearing those numbers. If you were in “zero disc” mode, you would hear all of those tones. “Coin” mode is a convenient way to quiet the detector down in trashier areas and/or when you want to target coins because the numbers you do hear have a higher probability of being coins - but again, no guarantee that it’s a coin, just a target with a conductivity that matches what we usually see from a coin.

The easiest way to understand what I’m saying (with way too many words) is to just put a bunch of modern coins and maybe a gold ring on the ground and swing the detector over them. First, you’ll notice that the various coin denominations ring up pretty consistent numbers everytime - all within the range selected by “coin” mode. That’s why coin mode is set the way it is - to alert you when the conductivity of the target under the coil matches a coin. Second, switch to different modes - you’ll likely notice that in some modes you’ll hear the gold ring, in others you won’t....but the number always shows on the screen.

I’m sorry to hear that you aren’t happy with your hunting results so far. I urge you not to give up on the machine yet - the Ace 400 is a capable detector and you certainly should be finding something even if it’s just modern coins. While there’s a chance that there is something wrong with the detector, it’s much more likely that your difficulties are stemming more from inexperience. Is there a metal detecting club nearby where you can seek some face to face guidance? Or maybe even check around on the forum for a local member who might be willing to meet up and help. Also, by all means give Garrett Customer Service a call. Their support is very responsive and helpful - they can offer some good insight into how the detector works, and answer questions that you might have about operating it. Plus, they can help you determine or rule out if there’s something wrong that needs repair.

Thank You, Today i'm going to throw the different coins and such down under the cardboard (chewy.com) and make notes on what it does. After that i have appointment to stroll to the library for my maps, yeah :grin:
and will try again. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom