Anybody else had weird encounters with people?

sandgroper

Elite Member
Went for a quick hunt with my dad at a nearby school’s playground, when this guy stops by the school’s fence (which separates the playground and the playing field). He stood at the fence with his dogs for about 10mins watching us detect, not saying a single thing. He didn’t even reply to our friendly ‘hello’, instead he takes out his phone and starts taking pictures of us!! (huh??) I’m a bit annoyed that I left my phone at home, otherwise I would’ve started taking pictures of him as well! :lol: Not long afterwards dad and I left (with about $18), and then that guy moved on as well.

Just seems a bit weird that he wasn’t speaking to us and only taking photos. I’ve got no idea what his intentions were! :lol: Has anybody else experienced something weird like this before?

I wouldn't advise mooning someone from a school ground. that's a great way to be charged with public exposure and getting on the sex offenders list.

That being said, maybe he was taking pictures so he could show his wife that people are doing what he wanted to do.

Maybe he was taking pictures because he though you were TV personalities.

Maybe he was taking pictures because he was convinced what you were doing was illegal, and he was going to report you.

Maybe he was taking pictures of you, to create lifesized posters to put on his wall, and decorate with his old Valentines hearts.

Doesn't matter if you're there legally. People can take pictures of other people on public property. Weird, yes. Something to be concerned about? Nope. Don't let it sweat you. :) And my advice here is to always play the part of "hobby advocate" When I see folks like that, I take the initiative to wave and smile... That usually goes a long way to showing that YOU are friendly, and have nothing to hide, legally. There will always be gawkers, though.

Cheers,

Skippy

I wouldn't advise mooning someone from a school ground. that's a great way to be charged with public exposure and getting on the sex offenders list.

Skippy

I'm gussing Austrailia is different but I know at most of the schools around here the kids have there pants practically around their ankles anyway so they may just think your a student, (though at your age a really slow learner) Also not that uncommon around here. Used to crack me up when I got out fo the military around 2000 and got a job in a youth prison (er school for troubled youth) Most of the kids were from Wayne county Detroit and not a single one could keep thier pants up. We had a case of giant hunters orange suspenders just for them. They made a point of getting pants that fit as soon as they could after that. :lol:

Maybe he thought you and your Dad were Bums and didnt want to encourage a conversation for fear of being panhandled?

Maybe He was a foreign tourist and had no idea what you were saying?

Maybe he was a mute?

Maybe he thought you two were one kangaroo and one wallaby?

Maybe he was on some sort of Facebook scavenger hunt, and actually got a picture of a pair of scavengers??

Maybe he was hunting for Pokemons and figured he got a pair?

Most of the strange people I meet are simple normal everyday tossers, but I'm usually the one who acts like the mute when they want to strike up a conversation.......Or Bums, or recent escapees from a Mental Institution for the Criminally Insane...Why take any chances talking to strangers? Past Experience speaking....tends to not work out in my favor anyway...Still hoping for a lonely rich Widow, but so far, coming up zeros on that one!

Well, a guy simply never knows what adventure awaits once he gets out of the house!:laughing:

you want to see strange?!?! metal detect along the AP Trail. its like wood stock had a gathering around you. I take my head phones off and watch over my shoulder!

Reminded me of once a very long time ago, likely over 20 years ago, I was shopping in a grocery store and it looked like the store manager took my picture, I confronted him and asked why but he insisted he wasn't taking a picture of me specifically. I was thinking to myself "do I look like a shoplifter ?" :shock: :lol: I'm also thinking to myself, come on man, if you really knew me you would know I'm the type that gives back extra change if the cashier gives me too much change"

Reminded me of once a very long time ago, likely over 20 years ago, I was shopping in a grocery store and it looked like the store manager took my picture, I confronted him and asked why but he insisted he wasn't taking a picture of me specifically. I was thinking to myself "do I look like a shoplifter ?" :shock: :lol: I'm also thinking to myself, come on man, if you really knew me you would know I'm the type that gives back extra change if the cashier gives me too much change"

Maybe he was gonna do a nice 'Cabbage for Sale' newspaper display and needed your head for the greenscreen shot? :laughing: You know, "Cabbage is flying off the shelves!" kind of dealie?

Right? Its not out of the question in GKL's case?...It coulda been a store contest of some sort? Like those pictures of 'Walmart People' my buddy constantly sends me? Barefoot people wearing Assless chaps and a wife beater, or topless wearing plum smugglers with a purple mohawk and orange Crocs? Or a set of Daisy Dukes and high heels with an "I farted" Tee shirt on?? Like for the 'funniest customer' of the Month award?:laughing::laughing:

Right? Its not out of the question in GKL's case?...It coulda been a store contest of some sort? Like those pictures of 'Walmart People' my buddy constantly sends me? Barefoot people wearing Assless chaps and a wife beater, or topless wearing plum smugglers with a purple mohawk and orange Crocs? Or a set of Daisy Dukes and high heels with an "I farted" Tee shirt on?? Like for the 'funniest customer' of the Month award?:laughing::laughing:

You need to quit shopping with your buddy when he has his camera :laughing:

I pretty much ignore gawkers from a reasonable distance. Whenever someone interacts with me they usually ask what I find. I always have at least a couple pieces of can slaw or other metals in the garbage side of the Garrett pouch. I grab some and show them saying I'm really just cleaning the sharp objects out of the park. They usually say something positive or just walk off.
I don't think I've been photographed yet. I think he may have been trying to intimedate you. Even though he can see your detecting he may be sending a message like he has you guys in case something bad happens here. Maybe he's paranoid around schools with so many horrible things that have happend. For whatever reason he's wrong in my opinion anyway.
Another reason could be the old jealousy factor. Some worry your finding valubles and of coarse they are not. Some people hate to see someone else gaining anything that they can't or don't have. I can't stand a #%&&%* like Mr picture taker. Sticking their nose way out into what others have goin on.

Went for a quick hunt with my dad at a nearby school’s playground, when this guy stops by the school’s fence (which separates the playground and the playing field). He stood at the fence with his dogs for about 10mins watching us detect, not saying a single thing. He didn’t even reply to our friendly ‘hello’, instead he takes out his phone and starts taking pictures of us!! (huh??) I’m a bit annoyed that I left my phone at home, otherwise I would’ve started taking pictures of him as well! :lol: Not long afterwards dad and I left (with about $18), and then that guy moved on as well.

Just seems a bit weird that he wasn’t speaking to us and only taking photos. I’ve got no idea what his intentions were! :lol: Has anybody else experienced something weird like this before?

Maybe he was a hit man hired by your great uncles nephews cousin twice removed cus he wants your detector:cool:

Asian people stand and watch me for some reason..... if they ever speak to me it is to ask what I am doing, but the look of confusion never leaves their face as I explain.

Tot lots I really see no reason to hunt them, it's a tot lot for KIDS just my view.
I simply do not like hunting them, give the kids their space.

We get enough flack from people wondering what we are doing especially with the Lesche that does look like a weapon...like I said just my view.

Adults do not belong in their play area, pretty obvious. I had a principal once ask what I was doing. I see their concern not worth the hassle.

Maybe he was gonna do a nice 'Cabbage for Sale' newspaper display and needed your head for the greenscreen shot? :laughing: You know, "Cabbage is flying off the shelves!" kind of dealie?

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Hey, if that was the reason then I should have gotten some royalty checks for using my image :lol:

:hmmm: .......hmmmm, just might be some new greenscreen ideas there somewhere after all, singing with the veggies, or detecting with Mr. Potato Head :laughing::laughing::laughing:

singingveggies.jpgsingingveggies2.jpgmrph2.jpg

X-Terra70,
I had an incident like yours happen to me just recently. I was detecting a small bit of family owned property, about 50x100 feet which is connected to property owned by a church separated by by gravel drive way. A guy pulls in and stared at me for at least 3 minutes, I knew what this situation was going to turn into so I just waited and acted as if he wasnt there. Finally he spoke up and said that the church owned that bit of property I was detecting on and that I should leave. I calmly and nicely told him , no, My family owns this property up to the drive way, has owned it for 20 yrs. His whole attitude changed, and somehow he managed a smile and cracked a joke, but it sure felt good to give him the (what for) and so I diffused a potential nasty situation. I could have really told him to get lost in a very different way but didnt. I have been through lots of situations like this for years and handled it the same way. I dont get these people, I guess they are on a power trip or something but I think you did the right thing though by not saying anything to the guy. Good luck detecting.
Joey

Back
Top Bottom