New Permission - Creepy 1890 farmhouse

TheDirtKing

Got permission today for this 1890 farmhouse. The overgrowth and junky ground will be a little tough but I'm looking forward to it.

Attachments

• IMG_2926.JPG
    IMG_2926.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_2928.JPG
    IMG_2928.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2929.JPG
    IMG_2929.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_2931.JPG
    IMG_2931.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_2935.JPG
    IMG_2935.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 458
Think I saw that place on one of those paranormal ghosts shows. Be sure to take extra Holy Water. :laughing:

What's up with the tipped back shed?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ummm, that's not really a shed. Lot of thinking went on in there.

Think I saw that place on one of those paranormal ghosts shows. Be sure to take extra Holy Water. :laughing:

Ummm, that's not really a shed. Lot of thinking went on in there.
So I wondered if it was an outhouse, but then why no hole in the bottom of the flooring?

So I wondered if it was an outhouse, but then why no hole in the bottom of the flooring?

It's between the last two joist I presume, where the floor is not visible, but the back joist is discolored. Hopefully I didn mess up your breakfast :lol:

It's between the last two joist I presume, where the floor is not visible, but the back joist is discolored. Hopefully I didn mess up your breakfast [emoji38]
Lol them stains though...[emoji38]

If indeed, that's a John, then you need to get in there. No telling what got dropped down that shute...... At least it looks dry. Most that I have seen, are quite a bit deeper than that (?), so, maybe the OP could verify for us....is it, or isn't it ?

I was wondering about that outhouse also ... here is a closer shot. When I looked in there, I couldnt see any holes in the floor. There was a built up bench coming off the back wall running the width of the shed but no hole. On closer examination, could that be a slide or hinged door or something right in the middle, between the two middle joists where the wood is darkest? Most the floor boards seem to be running north to south but those boards in the middle where the gap is seem to be running east to west. I wasnt able to get in there for a good look but will next time I am there.

The pit is surrounded by stone base which overhangs the pit. I dont know if there are also stone walls. I dont know how they had the shed secured to the stone but this house sits up on a bluff and it gets pretty windy there. We also have the occasional tornado but I have no other thoughts on how it got knocked over.

I will report back after my next trip out there.

Attachments

• IMG_2932.JPG
    IMG_2932.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 383
The style of the building, really didn't say john, to me. Again, the pit is just not deep enough, based on ones I have seen. Could the current owner possibly give you a clue ?

The style of the building, really didn't say john, to me. Again, the pit is just not deep enough, based on ones I have seen. Could the current owner possibly give you a clue ?

No, the current owner is unknown. This house has been on a list of "targets" for me for a while and when I looked it up on the county assessors office, the owner was listed as a development company. I drove out to the place and found that they are in the process of building housing tracts just below the house on the farmland. I didnt see any other way of getting up to the house so I drove through the construction site and approached the project manager in his trailer and asked what he knew of the old house above. He said all he knew was he was going to tear it down soon. I asked if I could do some metal detecting up there and he was very nice and gave me permission. After talking with him further, he isnt tearing it down until towards the end of the project so we have a lot of time. He said I could come back any time I want.

Could it be an ice house?

dont think so....an ice house was usually more of a closet with access on the back or the side of the house nearest to the kitchen.
A filled cellar is likely. Storage of goods before refrigeration.

Outhouse or not.you should detect that spot, imagine what stuff could of slipped through those floor boards! But be careful of course!

Outhouse or not.you should detect that spot, imagine what stuff could of slipped through those floor boards! But be careful of course!

The front porch looks promising also... wide gaps in those boards and accessible.

Back
Top Bottom